Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Cool more info on 0-dairy....

Hi, Doreen.

Here's a couple of possibilities that may help:

I've found Enerex Ultimate Soya (uses SuPro) that's zero-carb SPI (Soy Protein Isolate) at the local HFS. Pretty good (as in "no") flavour. Also, Naturade Vegetable Protein (Soy Free) with 3 grams carb (unknown fibre) in a 28.4g serving. I'm not fond of the "raw bean" taste of most SPIs... subsitute these for the WPI in any shake recipe. Thickening power varies.

I will also use ground flaxseed meal instead of psyllium husk, if thickening is required. We KNOW that's good for you, with fibre and essential Omega-3 oils.

Also, I agree with Wa'il, coconut milk is a good substitute. I've found (in the import section at, say, Superstore/Loblaws) dried coconut milk "powder" and "coconut cream" that comes in a brick with the texture of frozen lard [lol!] that could be useful to you. The biggest problem with coconut products, though, is the all-too-common addition of sulfites in one form or another. Highly allergenic as you probably know but at least it's mandatory on ingredient labels (if they're in English). Thai Kitchen coconut milk (Light or regular) is the one brand I've found that doesn't contain them, I use it exclusively. Slightly more in cost but worth it.

As for the syrups, JJ Bean coffee shops (here in BC at least) carry as regular stock the DaVinci Gourmet SF Almond, Hazelnut, Vanilla and Irish Cream. The other flavours are available (so far) by special order and in 6-bottle minimums (this is one of the reasons I started the LC "Co-op"!), takes about 3 weeks from ordering. I would tend to use readily available pure Almond and Vanilla extracts for 2 of those flavours myself <grin>. I have every extract I could find in any grocery store on my kitchen shelf, mind you. Also, a confectionary shop/speciality baking shop (they make wedding cakes to order and stuff like that) or a "kitchen store" sometimes carries some interesting flavours of extracts.

The Oscar and Torani brands of sugarfree syrups are readily available from a variety of coffee shops; I've only found Vanilla so far (e.g., at Starbucks), but DaVinci is the only one not using Aspartame as a sweetener so far, so that rather limits my searching in that direction. I've also "requested" a SugarFree 'flavour' purchase through one of my local coffee shops in the past (Torani SF English Toffee) but it's up to them if they can get 1 bottle and if they're willing to sell you the bottle.

Hope this helps!