Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Beverage - Masala Chai (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=128697)

cindielyn Thu, Aug-07-03 01:12

Masala Chai

While dining at an Asian-Indian restaurant recently I tried Indian tea. It was soooo good. But it was served with milk and sugar already in it. Then another time I was out with my son and he ordered Chai, I had no clue what that was. So I tasted it, lo and behold, Indian tea. Now that I knew a name, Chai, I could look for a recipe. I came up with several, modified one slightly, and YUMMY! What a treat, right at home, very low carb and full of wonderful flavors.

MASALA CHAI

Place following in a large saucepan:

1T fennel or anise seed
6 green cardamom pods
12 cloves
1 cinnamon stick (3")
about 1/4" very thinly sliced ginger root
1/4 t black peppercorns
7 C cold water

Boil for 5 minutes, then let steep for an additional 10 minutes.

Add:

2T Darjeeling tea

Return to boil, then simmer 5 minutes.

Strain and serve with brown sugar, honey, milk

Low carb version: Sweet-N-Low Brown sugar, heavy cream. :angel:

* every cook makes chai somewhat different, adjust to taste. other spices used might include nutmeg, bay leaf, vanilla bean, dried ginger, allspice. the recipe above, using fennel seed, is what I used on my first, and I must say, yummy, attempt. ENJOY!

Slapfish Mon, Oct-27-03 19:32

Thank you for posting this. I used to LOVE Thai coffee at a local Thai restaurant and it uses the same spices. I've been looking for a recipe so I would know the right spices to use.

Chud Mon, Dec-01-03 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindielyn

MASALA CHAI

Place following in a large saucepan:

1T fennel or anise seed
6 green cardamom pods
12 cloves
1 cinnamon stick (3")
about 1/4" very thinly sliced ginger root
1/4 t black peppercorns
7 C cold water

Boil for 5 minutes, then let steep for an additional 10 minutes.

If this is what I think it is, I have had it before and have been looking for the recipe ever since. Can't wait to try it to see. I will know right away if it is the one I had because of the very distinct flavor. Thank you for posting.

Cheers,

Chud

cindielyn Tue, Dec-02-03 15:42

When I first tried chai it was served already sweetened with sugar and honey. When I brew my own at home I have been using the Sweet-n-Low brown sugar, it gives a nice flavor. Yesterday though I just got honey flavored maltitol syrup, so can't wait to brew a fresh batch to try my new "honey".

rugby_girl Mon, Feb-09-04 14:05

you can buy decaffinated and regular chai at starbucks! i live on the stuff!

AnnieMarin Mon, Feb-09-04 18:58

The Starbucks Tazo Chai liquid concentrate is wonderful. I used to live on it too. But now I haven't had it for two months other than one planned cheat at Christmas. I do miss that taste.

Wouldn't it be grand if they developed one that wasn't already sweetened?

I emailed the Tazo company in November 2003 and they indicated that they had no plans to produce a liquid concentrate that had no sugar or honey in it. The company rep suggested I use the tea bags instead and brew my own but the taste/spicing is completely different in the bags. Maybe she had never tasted them and didn't know???

Perhaps if we all email Tazo repeatedly they will get the message.

Kharma Tue, Feb-10-04 09:47

This exact recipe can be found in Dana Carpender's 500 Low-Carb Recipes cookbook.

Buttoni Sun, Jun-27-10 18:22

I can order Chai at my favorite Indian restaurant UNsweetened. But I make sure to specify that when I order it.

noinwi Mon, Jul-12-10 23:02

I like Celestial Seasonings India Spice Chai, but it's hard to find it in decaf, so I drink Stash Decaf Chai in the evening(though I don't think it is as good). I like it with AS and a splash of HWC or coconut milk.

Lessara Mon, Jan-26-15 20:21

celestial seasoning tension tamer tea is chi like with cream in it :)

Robin120 Mon, Jan-26-15 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieMarin
The Starbucks Tazo Chai liquid concentrate is wonderful. I used to live on it too. But now I haven't had it for two months other than one planned cheat at Christmas. I do miss that taste.

Wouldn't it be grand if they developed one that wasn't already sweetened?

I emailed the Tazo company in November 2003 and they indicated that they had no plans to produce a liquid concentrate that had no sugar or honey in it. The company rep suggested I use the tea bags instead and brew my own but the taste/spicing is completely different in the bags. Maybe she had never tasted them and didn't know???

Perhaps if we all email Tazo repeatedly they will get the message.

a brand called Oregon Chai makes an awesome sf concentrate- it is hard to find though, so you might have to order online. it is great hot or iced! i mix it with almond milk.