Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Is High Fiber Bran cereal ok? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=248854)

wilson401 Thu, May-12-05 06:37

Is High Fiber Bran cereal ok?

OK ~
I am a total Protein Power novice - I haven't even received my book yet (It has been ordered and should be here within a couple of days) and I plan on reading it cover to cover when I get it. Anyways, I am most familiar with Atkins plan and was wondering if a high fiber bran cereal with a small amount of skim milk is ok on this plan? What I like is the Kellogg's Complete Wheat Bran Flakes which have 23 carbs - 5 fiber = 18 net carbs. There is also 3 grams of protein. How does this look to any of you success stories? Help me out, please :help:

Samantha22 Thu, May-12-05 06:42

i wish i could help....i eat uncle sam's brand whole wheat flax cereal...and it doesn't stall me....but i dont eat it with milk...i mix it into yogurt.

mcsblues Thu, May-12-05 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson401
OK ~
I am a total Protein Power novice - I haven't even received my book yet (It has been ordered and should be here within a couple of days) and I plan on reading it cover to cover when I get it. Anyways, I am most familiar with Atkins plan and was wondering if a high fiber bran cereal with a small amount of skim milk is ok on this plan? What I like is the Kellogg's Complete Wheat Bran Flakes which have 23 carbs - 5 fiber = 18 net carbs. There is also 3 grams of protein. How does this look to any of you success stories? Help me out, please :help:

Hi there and welcome.

The short answer is NOOO! :)

Low fat cereals high in added sugar and High fructose corn syrup (another more dangerous sugar) and fortified with artificial vitamins and extra iron, washed down with low fat milk (also with artificial vitamins because when they took the fat out they also removed the natural vitamins!) is something that might be highly regarded on a low fat diet - but not on low carb, Incidentally low fat milk is typically higher in carbs than the regular variety (as are most "low fat" processed foods) because "non fat milk solids" are added to make it taste a little better - and NFMS is basically added lactose (another sugar) hence more carbs.

If you still want a cereal for breakfast (rather than eggs, bacon etc) then you can find recipes here for making your own from freshly ground flax seed.

I grind up almonds, flax seed, a few sesame and sunflower seeds with some cinnamon and a pinch of stevia - mix well with some WPI and some psyillium husks, add some butter or coconut oil,and then stir in some boiling water - serve with a spoon of yoghurt or cream and a few berries.

HTH

Cheers,

Malcolm

BawdyWench Thu, May-12-05 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsblues
The short answer is NOOO!
Sorry, Malcom, but I disagree. For quite a long time I ate 1/2 cup of Kellog's All Bran with 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Minus the fiber, it came out to (if I remember correctly) 7 grams of effective carbs. That's right in line with PP guidelines.

In fact, the Eades (the authors of PP), state that at first they don't care what you eat for your carbs. They cite one guy in their practice who found out that his favorite candy bar equaled 30 grams, their recommendation for the day. Although they weren't overjoyed (no nutrients to speak of), they said "go for it."

Te carb count for the cereal you want to eat is pretty high, though. Maybe try the Kellog's All-Bran? Milk is expensive in terms of carbs; heavy cream is better.

Wilson, that's all I can write at the moment. My work weeks are very hectic and I have so very little time. I promise I'll catch up on the weekend.

doreen T Thu, May-12-05 17:51

You *may* choose to have a high-fiber cereal, but your carbs shouldn't be higher than 10g ECC for the whole meal. PP stresses that you spread your carbs throughout the day, rather than having them all at one meal .. which is more likely to spike insulin and work against you in the long run.

Plus, you must ensure that your breakfast also includes the minimum per-meal requirement for protein (at least 20g per meal for women).

Here's an overview of the Protein Power book, to give you a basic idea about the program and how it works .. http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...tein-power.html

hth,

Doreen

BawdyWench Thu, May-12-05 18:31

Doreen hit it on the nose!

Your MINIMUM protein requirement PER MEAL is 34 grams, which converts to about 5 ounces of meat/poultry/fish.

I'll write more this weekend.

mcsblues Thu, May-12-05 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Sorry, Malcom, but I disagree. .

Well it would be a boring old world if we all agreed with one another!

The poster's suggested breakfast cereal and skim milk combo (1/4 cup) comes out at 24 ECC (23 - 5 + 6) - a huge hole in your daily intervention allowance - and that is if you can stick to one (very small) serving. As Doreen points out it doesn't get you your recommended protein either, plus it comes loaded with added sugar and HFCS. The Eades talk about the importance of getting natural sources of the fat soluable vitamins, and the overall message they present is that it matters quite a bit where you get your carbs - the majority should come from LC vegetables and fruit.

Sure, if the only thing that keeps you on the low carb path is a candy bar (or breakfast cereal with similar nutrition benefits) then you can do that, but as optimum health is the focus that the Eades have taught us all to strive for, when someone asks my advice as to whether a low fat high carb processed breakfast cereal with nutrient depleted processed milk on the side is a good way to start your new Protein Power way of life, I will continue to say NOOOO! :)

Cheers,

Malcolm

BawdyWench Fri, May-13-05 03:27

Malcolm, I agree! :thup:

Moonwalker Sun, May-15-05 07:04

uncle sam cereal or ezekiel cereal (if you can find it) are the best ways to go.

wilson401 Wed, May-18-05 16:53

Thanks, Moonwalker ~ I'll have to check out my health foods section for those brands.

spiderdust Wed, Jun-01-05 01:09

Other cereals to try (which may or may not be easier to find) are Kellogg's All-Bran with Extra Fiber (20 carbs, 13 fiber = 7 net) and Hi-Lo cereal (11 carbs, 6 fiber = 5 net).

Judygb Thu, Sep-08-05 16:52

Hood Low Carb Milk is great and we use it on our LC Special K and other Cereals. They have LC Orange juice too.

skeeweeaka Wed, Nov-09-05 00:17

Thanks Spiderdust...I'm just starting and I forgot I am supposed to subtract the fiber from the carb count... YIPPEE!!! :)

LarryAJ Thu, Nov-17-05 20:01

I guess I will put my two cents in here, but you may already know I am a "hard liner" like Malcom. :agree:

My concern is the dificulty in getting enough protein out of cereals which are predominately grains. Why cereal for breakfast, anyway?? Only because the cereal makers have brain washed us into think that is a GOOD thing for us to eat for breakfast - WRONG! Back when the country was mostly farmers, breakfast was bacon, eggs, ham, etc. that would allow a man to work hard until lunch, and farming with a team of horses or mules was HARD work. If you can break out of the habit of what is thought as a "traditional" breakfast, you can then look at any food as OK for breakfast, which they are. Then you just need to match your protein requirement for each meal plus enough GOOD fat for energy (here is where the use of calories is good) and then the carbs that either are "tagging" along in the vegies you are eating, or you are allowing your self to have to "sweeten up" the rest of your food.

Hope that helps to expand your breakfast options.
Larry

AngeGauche Tue, Nov-29-05 16:18

I've had All-bran before, and it could work in theory, but I always found a half cup of cereal to be horribly unsatisfying, especially for breakfast. When I wake up, I am just desperately ravenous, and I get so shaky and my stomach rumbles if I don't eat enough in the morning. I'd much rather have a big plate of eggs and meat. :yum: