Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   A Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=418335)

FMN Mon, Oct-11-10 17:03

A Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer

I am on my 4th day of being dairy free thanks to a post by Margot that led me to make this non-dairy creamer:

1 Can Coconut Milk
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons Coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

I just dumped everything into the food processor and blended until a bit frothy. And it turned out to be the perfect replacement for HWC. Not that there is anything wrong with HWC for most people...I am just trying to see how my body responds.

More pics here:
http://followingmynose.blogspot.com...ee-creamer.html

doreen T Mon, Oct-11-10 17:16

Mmmmmmmm ... kewl :cool:

How long does it last? Can it be frozen?

How much do you use per serving?

What's the nutrient breakdown?

Doreen :rose:

Rosebud Mon, Oct-11-10 17:25

And how big is the can of coconut milk? It comes in varying sizes here. ;)

FMN Mon, Oct-11-10 17:44

Thanks Doreen! I made it Thursday, and it was still good today, so at least 5 days. And I used about 2 tablespoons in a 10 ounce cup of coffee. The calories are about the same as HWC (106 vs 103), and 1.1 carbs! There's a chart on the blog with some more detail about the mineral content, which is pretty good!

Rosebud, thanks for making me clarify that! I used a 403ml can, 13.66 fluid ounces. I wish we could get smaller cans here, because my husband will open one and use a few spoonfuls and the rest will spoil. But if I keeping doing this, maybe that will not happen anymore!

Rosebud Mon, Oct-11-10 17:55

Thanks Patty. :)

doreen T Tue, Oct-12-10 11:33

Thank you! Will definitely give this a whirl (pun intended :D)

Now if only someone could come up with a tasty aged coconut cheese ... keyword: *tasty* :spin:

Doreen

bike2work Tue, Oct-12-10 14:08

Hey -- this is pretty good! It definitely works better than either coconut oil or coconut milk alone. It has a different flavor than cream, but it gives that softness to the coffee that cream does. I omitted the vanilla because I don't like flavored coffee.

When I first read this thread I dismissed it because I knew that I could never use up a batch before the egg becomes questionable. Then I decided that I can also use it in protein shakes. (I make them with Now brand eggwhite protein, which tastes better than whey protein and is certain not to have casein in it.) Made without the vanilla, the creamer can also go in sauces, soups, other dishes.

Thanks Margot and Patty. :yum:

ETA: I wondered if I would get a little wad of scrambled egg at the bottom of my coffee cup. I just finished my coffee and there's nothing there but the usual bit of coffee bean silt.

FMN Mon, Oct-18-10 09:13

Someone just left a comment on my blog that she couldn't use the egg right now (on a 30 day plan that doesn't include eggs) but she was going to try another option....put the can of coconut milk in the fridge for a bit, drain off the watery part and then whip the coconut cream. That sounds pretty good too, and a good option if you are out of eggs.

Buttoni Sat, Feb-12-11 21:02

What a clever idea FMN! I look forward to trying this!

LadyBelle Fri, Jun-10-11 10:11

You can also buy coconut cream instead of having to separate the canned milk. I can't buy it locally, but I used to order it online. My favorite site is http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals...oconut-milk.php not sure what would be a good site for UK or Aussie friends.

LadyBelle Tue, Jan-22-13 08:49

Just now finally gave this recipe a try. Huge thumbs up from me. I haven't been having heavy whipping cream in my coffee, and barely standing it. Almond milk or strait coconut milk is way to thin and actually makes the coffee taste worse to me. I gave this a go, and am amazed, it is rich and creamy just like half and half. I used some right out of the blender, and put rest in fridge, so it hasn't had time to thicken or to separate.

Nancy LC Tue, Jan-22-13 08:55

Okay, I really do need to try this. :D

Liz53 Tue, Jan-22-13 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Just now finally gave this recipe a try. Huge thumbs up from me. I haven't been having heavy whipping cream in my coffee, and barely standing it. Almond milk or strait coconut milk is way to thin and actually makes the coffee taste worse to me. I gave this a go, and am amazed, it is rich and creamy just like half and half. I used some right out of the blender, and put rest in fridge, so it hasn't had time to thicken or to separate.

I wonder if you could mix up just enough each day to use each day with an immersion blender? Or use an immersion blender to rehabilitate it if it separates in the fridge?

This looks like the first credible sub I've seen for HWC. In fact, I find almond milk so thin that I add 1 T. HWC to each cup. Must get some coconut milk today.

JEY100 Tue, Jan-22-13 11:45

The coconut milk sold in the dairy case to drink is a different product than coconut milk sold in a can.
Trader Joe's started carrying coconut cream in a can. It separates, so I just take all the contents and whip it together a bit. Put that into the fridge, and it stays solid but scoopable, like the texture of a mousse.

Liz53 Tue, Jan-22-13 12:16

Thanks, Janet for another great option. I'll have the chance to run into TJ's either today or Saturday. This is a good reason to do it.