Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Low Carb Forum Mega Muffin - Great for Induction! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=337773)

atkinjunki Sun, Jun-10-07 09:30

Low Carb Forum Mega Muffin - Great for Induction!

Hi Everyone,

I have been playing with various recipes already posted on here.. so I must give credit where credit is due.. I started out with the Mock Danish Which is great for induction, but a little too sweet and eggy sometimes for me. Then I got great inspiration from the Flax Bread recipe, and the Bowl Muffins Which are all great recipes... I have kinda combined them all including the information about Coconut Oil and general posts people made when commenting on these recipes. Hence the name... it is truly a Low Carb Forum Muffin!

Recipe:
1 Large Egg
4 Tbsp Milled Flax Seed
1 oz Cream Cheese, cut into approximate thirds
1 packet of Splenda or equivalent type of sweetener (or to taste)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or Butter) - For those of you used to taking CO it works great in this recipe, for those of not using CO, Butter works just as well, for those of you wanting to incorporate CO into your daily regime, this is a great way to start, but after reading the posts, I strongly suggest you start out with only a tsp of CO, and then make up the remaining 2 TBSP with Butter.. and gradually increase the amounts of CO while decreasing the amounts of butter... so that you still have 2tbsp of either CO, Butter, or a combination of both.

In a cereal bowl, I put in 1 of the thirds of Cream Cheese, and the 2 TBSP CO (or Butter), then nuke it for a short time, 10 - 15 seconds is plenty.

While this is nuking, I lightly butter (not counted above) the sides of my container that I am going to cook this in. I personally love to use a plastic one I have that is about 3 X 5 inches wide X length by 3 inches deep.

Take your bowl and add to it: the egg, flax seed, Splenda, cinnamon, and the vanilla. I mix this up with a fork.. and I mix it for almost a minute, as your mixing you will notice that your eggs will go from being "eggy" to being more "creamy", for my personal pallette I think this makes a big difference in the end result. Once done mixing I throw in the Baking Powder and give a last mix incorporating the Baking powder.. again I just feel it helps the muffin rise a bit higher.

Pour the mixture into your buttered baking container. Again with the one I use it fills it about 1/2 way. Then I take the remaining Cream Cheese thirds and I set them into the middle of the batter pushing them lightly so that the batter comes up along the sides of the Cream Cheese a little bit.

I nuke this on high for 2 minutes... the batter cooks and rises up and over the Cream Cheese and will come up about a 1/2 inch over the top of my container...
This muffin reminds me of a great seven grain one I used to purchase from a local coffee shop... I can't wait till I am moving into Owl, so I can add nuts, SF Jam, etc...

Nutritional Information (My best based on reading labels):

1 Large Egg ( 74cal, .4 carb, 6.29g protein, 5g fat)
1 oz Cream Cheese (98cal, .74 carb, 2.11g protein, 9.76g fat)
1 packet of Splenda or equivalent type of sweetener (or to taste) (1 net carb)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Powder (It says none, but I count a .5 )
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or Butter) No carbs in either
4 Tbsp Milled Flax Seed (120cal, 8g carbs all Dietary fibre so Net carbs = 0, 6g protein, 10g fat)

Total Net Carbs = less then 3 (2.64)

Iowagirl Mon, Jun-11-07 21:04

Yum! You know breakfast is a challenge for me - I like eggs but find them hard to eat without toast. I'm thinking this muffin with an egg and some bacon would really hit the spot. Thanks Atkinjunki!

mclukey Tue, Jun-12-07 16:53

Does this make just 1 serving??
Sounds very good...definatley will give this a try. Thanks!!

Iowagirl Wed, Jun-13-07 06:42

When I made it I had a thick, round 'muffin' that I cut in half to form a large bun.

Made this again but this time I left out the splenda and vanilla and used garlic and parmesan, instead. Yum!

Btw, Atkinsjunki - this is very similiar to the bowl muffin recipe on this site.

atkinjunki Sun, Jun-17-07 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl
When I made it I had a thick, round 'muffin' that I cut in half to form a large bun.

Made this again but this time I left out the splenda and vanilla and used garlic and parmesan, instead. Yum!

Btw, Atkinsjunki - this is very similiar to the bowl muffin recipe on this site.

Hi Iowagirl... thanks for the feedback on the muffin... and yeah if you look at my original post you will see I link the recipes that I used to come to this one... the bowl muffin is great, but I don't have any SF syrups at all, and things like carbquick and almond flour are obviously for people in higher levels of OWL, which I am not... I added the egg and the cream cheese because of the mock danish recipe...

If your looking for a "bread" for toast... I would highly reccommend this one Flax Bread
I made it and when I first tasted it I thought.. hmm.. not bad.. but then I put the rest in a ziploc baggie and the next day it was alot better, toasting it would make it even better...

When you made the garlic and parmesan version did you keep in the cream cheese?

It sounds delicious... and I am def going to try it... I also made a version where I added a tbsp of Sour cream to the mixture... very yummy and made the muffin taste alot more savory... the Sour cream with your garlic and parmesan sounds very good...

Yummy!

atkinjunki Sun, Jun-17-07 09:57

When I clicked on the links above I noticed in my original thread the one for Bowl muffins was also pointing to Flax Bread...

Oooops :)

Here is the link

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=223612

Iowagirl Sun, Jun-17-07 15:11

I did everything the same except for the splenda and vanilla. Just came out with a savory flavor and not sweet.

I like this recipe better - I buy sf syrups but not the baking mix - way too expensive!

KingTragic Wed, Jun-20-07 08:34

I just made this. Thanks atkinjunki!! I used an extra packet of splenda, and I think I cooked it about half a minute to long, but it was still pretty good.

Next time, I'm going to sweeten the cream cheese in the middle, and I might add a dash of amaretto davinci sf syrup (because that's how I roll). :)

Thanks again!

atkinjunki Fri, Jul-13-07 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTragic
I just made this. Thanks atkinjunki!! I used an extra packet of splenda, and I think I cooked it about half a minute to long, but it was still pretty good.

Next time, I'm going to sweeten the cream cheese in the middle, and I might add a dash of amaretto davinci sf syrup (because that's how I roll). :)

Thanks again!

Glad you like it...

Let me know how the sweetened CC works out... you could definately use more Cream Cheese too if your on higher levels of OWL 2 ounces is in the original mock danish recipe.. but when doing induction that creeps the carbs up... plus sweeteners...

I also like a big old dollop of butter on top once it has been cooked.. letting it melt into all the nooks and crannies

And this is a diet!

Iowagirl Sat, Jul-14-07 06:20

I did not have any cream cheese on hand the other day and made this with sour cream, instead. Perfect! I am continuing to make the savory variety - adding dried onion flakes is very good.

Rebecky412 Sun, Jul-29-07 17:33

This sounds interesting. I'm a muffin lover---when the craving hits I'll probably be grabbing for this recipe. Thanks for posting it!

cmoFL Sun, Sep-30-07 05:23

4.2 carbs?

Breakdown shown 17.6 17.8 31.1 4.2 407

Is the food journal wrong about this? When I enter the recipe this is what the counts show.. most of the carbs are from the flax seed?? I just want to be clear on how to count the carbs... I'm just making the transition from a plan that didn't net carb and required under 20 total carbs for the day so this is seems a little intimidating still.

mike_d Sun, Sep-30-07 09:54

I think these recipes are good with sunflower seeds added in and sprinkled on top. I haven't tried walnuts, but they should be good as well.

Natkins Thu, Nov-08-07 20:48

Do you think this would work with a couple of blueberries thrown in?

lisabinil Sat, Nov-10-07 10:59

This is the recipe for the old lc standby for the OneMinuteMuffin with cream cheese added. The carb count should be higher though because cinnamon and baking powder both contain carbs. In a thread further down I started a thread on my addition to the recipe to make a Chocolate Lava Muffing. You can go to LindaSue's website to get a printable chart with the carb count for spices. genaw.com/lowcarb :)