Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   PCOS (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Choline / Inositol (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=447723)

Niquie Thu, Nov-08-12 06:49

Choline / Inositol

Hello there :wave: , anyone on Choline / Inositol? Nutritionist just put me on it to help me while losing weight with PCOS. Hadn’t heard of them before, Choline is supposed to help with Liver and Gall Bladder support, Cardiovascular Health, Mental and Emotional Health and Nerve Health and Inositol is a compound that prevents the accumulation of fat and cholesterol in the liver, it also helps Mental and Emotional Health and Nerve Health or so the Nutriotionist says :) . Just curious if anyone found any benefits from taking them and by the same token I will let anyone that is interested know how I get on with these.

slim4baby Sun, Dec-09-12 15:37

Hi
I have never heard of Choline, but I am currently looking into Inositol.I am newly diagnosed PCOS. Iam on other fertility supplements and Omega 3 (high dose) so dont want to take anything that will interfere with those and my TTC meds.....
Will be interested to see how you get on with them. What dose did the Nutritionist put you on if you dont mind me asking?
Fiona

Snowy29 Sat, Sep-21-13 09:38

My gyn also recommended I take these supplements. I haven't purchased yet though. Also wondering if others use the supplements.

Nancy LC Sat, Sep-21-13 11:17

Hmm... never heard of gyno's using them, but I've been reading about Nootropic supplements and choline is one of them.

I'm taking some anticholinergic drugs and I worry about them messing up my brain, so I thought I'd look into nootropic supplements.

IndyJess Wed, Dec-11-13 08:20

I hadn't heard of Choline or Inositol until I read about it on this thread (and then read up on them online). I bought some a couple weeks ago and have been taking them.

I bought the myo-inositol in powder form. It's sweet. Come to find out it's a sugar alcohol. I wasn't sure about taking it since I'm in ketosis and sugar alcohols can sometimes trigger binge eating, etc. Anyway, I decided to keep taking it. I probably get a teaspoon of it a day. Being a sugar alcohol, it can have laxative effects. It's easy to take though. So, I like that.

Anyway, been taking it maybe 10 days. I also take 500 mg of Choline a day. And my period was 4 days early. Even with PCOS, I'm fairly regular, so I'm not sure if it's the choline/inositol that prompted an early period or what. I'll keep taking it and see what happens.

knightfree Sat, Dec-14-13 05:59

I'm unfamiliar with Choline, but have been taking Inositol for a few years, per my wholistic Dr./Chiropractor who uses kinesiology for diagnosis. I wasn't aware of it's benefits re. preventing fat and cholesterol in the liver, but feel it has been helpful both with nerve health, and mood.