Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   What are Daikon radishes? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=27349)

Lessara Mon, Dec-10-01 13:23

What are Daikon radishes?

I seen these mentioned and I was wondering what they look like in the groceries?

Sharon Mon, Dec-10-01 17:35

daikons

Doreen gave a helpful answer to this one a while back.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...id=97953&t=7089

Lessara Tue, Dec-11-01 11:59

Thanks

The picture is perfect! I have those in my store!! Now to try those recipes... Any cooking tips?

doreen T Tue, Dec-11-01 12:54

hi Lessara

from Wegman's kitchen ...
  • Daikon

From the Japanese words dai (large) and kon (root), this vegetable is in fact a large oriental radish with a sweet, tangy flavor. The daikon's flesh is crisp, juicy and white, while the skin can be either creamy white or black.
  • Selection:
    Choose firm, smooth roots which have a luminous gleam, not a flat opacity, or dry wrinkled skin, which indicates a long storage time.
  • Storage:
    Oriental radishes have a short shelf life, as they quickly dry out and become limp. Keep wrapped in plastic in vegetable crisper up to 1 week.
  • Uses & Preparation:

Wash, then trim root tips and leaves.
    Sliver, dice or slice for salads, relish or vegetable platters.
    Simmer in soups.
    Add to stir-fries.
    Steam or microwave, then pickle to use as a side dish.
    The green tops can be braised, steamed or boiled or used in soups.
  • Availability: Year-round.
For more great ideas, type the word daikon into the Search tool and away you go ... there's recipes galore around this forum. A real favourite has been the Daikon Hashbrowns that I posted a while back.

Doreen

Lessara Sun, Dec-23-01 13:15

Hmmm

I found them in my grocery store. However, they were limp. Are they like carrots where you want firm ones not limp ones? How do I know a good daikon from a bad one? :confused:

IslandGirl Mon, Dec-24-01 13:37

see Doreen's post of Dec 11th...

Right above yours...

Firm, smooth, etc., DEFINITELY NOT limp... :D

Lessara Fri, Jan-04-02 12:10

Hi again

Are Parsnips the same as Daikon Radishes? The look similiar... Also are they suppose to be flexable? I found of Daikon but it bends easily... I was uneasy so I didn't get it.

doreen T Fri, Jan-04-02 14:54

hi Lessara,

No, parsnips and daikon are definitely not the same thing. Parsnips are starchy and very high in carbs ... plus the flavour is totally different.

Daikon radishes that are slightly limp, are still ok to use for a cooked dish such as the hashbrowns, or sliced up for a stir-fry or to add to soup. They just aren't quite as crispy-firm to use raw.

If they're wrinkled or shrivelled though, they're beyond hope :D

Doreen

Lessara Fri, Jan-04-02 15:44

Thanks

I appriciate you helping me out with this. I really want to try Diakons. I'm going to check out the oriental market near by and the health food place. Wish me luck!

By-the-way, You look absolutely beautiful in your picture!! :cool:

Lessara Tue, Jan-22-02 11:55

Got one!!

Oh I love Diakon Radishes! It was funny, before I cooked it, I gave it a good sniff and it smells like a radish (You know the red kind?) So I peeled it (Are you suppose to do that?) and cubed it. I cooked it in olive oil, garlic, and green onions. Oh was it so good!!
Thanks Doreen!!!! :D

starfish Thu, Feb-21-02 03:42

daikon

daikon has a special sweet taste you can use it for soup-
slice daikon into thick slices (peeled), trim off a little bit edge of each slice will prevent it crack in half when cooking. Add the daikon slices into meat broth, and add a slice of ginger root is good for your body, daikon is considered "cold vegi" and might upset sesitive stomach. Simer for at least an hour.
add salt and white pepper to taste.
enjoy :p

Chris1966 Sat, Mar-23-02 10:42

Just got the first bunch!

Fresh Fields / Whole Food Market have daikon and they seemed like a very nice example and organic.

This is exciting for me and I can't wait to try them out tomorrow morning for breakfast shredded as homefries.

One question:
Do the green leafy tops to the daikon have any culinary value?

Thanks in advance, Chris.

Atrsy Thu, Apr-04-02 07:19

Thanks for this info on a new food to try

I grated the daikon and stir fried it with beef slivers in olive oil. It was very good.

juniejune Wed, Jan-11-06 10:17

I made homemade chicken soup this weekend and although the recipe didn't call for it, I chopped some daikon and it reminded you so much of having 'potatoes' with the other vegetables

Wolfiesask Wed, Jan-11-06 10:54

I must've gotten a bad one because I tried it back in 2003 and hated it. :lol: