Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Advanced/High Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Need Muscle Weight Help! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=397495)

ElizabethB Thu, Jun-18-09 09:13

Need Muscle Weight Help!

Hello All,

I have a burning question. I have tried googling it many times but I can't get a clear answer. How much muscle weight is it reasonable to gain when you have been lifting weights and doing HIIT 3 days a week for the past 6-7 weeks? I have seen a huge gain on the scale. At my lowest I was down to 165, now I am at 173 (on a good day), but my measurements keep going down. I thought the scale was supposed to catch up eventually to the loss of inches? I was patient at first, but it's been weeks! I thought I would never see any weight that was in the 170's again, and it's pissing me off. I know I shouldn't pay attention, but I do! I thought I was on my way to the 150's and that just seems to get farther and farther away.

lcgrrl2006 Thu, Jun-18-09 10:28

That's awesome, wish I could gain muscle like that. Please don't let the number mess with your mind - you are getting smaller. What about taking measurements for a while and skipping the scale?
Sorry, I don't know when the scale catches up with the loss of inches...

ElizabethB Thu, Jun-18-09 11:48

1 Attachment(s)
Yes I really do need to ditch that scale. But without the reassurance I get scared that this is where I'm headed (see attachment):

But thanks, I've always been quick to build muscle. It's just the fat that I'm slow to lose. :)

lcgrrl2006 Thu, Jun-18-09 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB
Yes I really do need to ditch that scale. But without the reassurance I get scared that this is where I'm headed (see attachment):

But thanks, I've always been quick to build muscle. It's just the fat that I'm slow to lose. :)

What about a pair of skin tight jeans you can try on to gauge your progress......just thowin' alternative scale options at ya. ;)

ElizabethB Thu, Jun-18-09 17:07

That's a good idea. I do have a pair of hideous shorts that DH bought before we went on a vacation awhile ago. I cried when I couldn't pull them up over my hips even though they were in my size. Now I can comfortably put them on, but I'm still not a big fan of the shorts. I guess I'll know I've made it when they fit loosely around my upper thighs.

carlh_uk Fri, Jun-19-09 00:33

I wouldnt expect to gain more than 1/2 a pound per week of muscle. Everyone is different and I cant really speak for the rate women gain muscle. What i do know that adding muscle is a slow process, so be consistent and intense with your workouts. Also keep your diet clean, you dont want to end up adding more fat than muscle. You may want to drop a session of HIIT and do some low intensity cardio instead. How many days per week are you lifting?

ElizabethB Fri, Jun-19-09 10:43

I am lifting 3 days a week, Tuesday, Thursday and one day on the weekend. I do HIIT on the same days.

carlh_uk Fri, Jun-19-09 10:56

I definetly would not do HIIT alongside weights. Try and split them onto seperate days if possible. If you can only make it to the gym 3 days per week, do your weights first, and some lower intensity cardio after.

ElizabethB Fri, Jun-19-09 11:00

Ok thanks Carl I will give that a try!

AlienBug Tue, Jun-23-09 08:36

I think the original plan was better, weights, then about 10 minutes or so of HIIT. Or, weights, go home and do intervals a few hours later.