Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Pumpkin Bake - great for breakfast!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=53253)

catinhat Mon, Jul-29-02 10:03

Pumpkin Bake - great for breakfast!!

Pumpkin bake

8oz cream cheese, softened (Philly Light)
4 eggs
1/2 c. splenda
1 1/4 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 Tb. pumpkin pie spice
1 t. cinnamon

Combine all ingredients. Pour batter into a glass baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake in a 350 oven until center is done - it will look 'puffed', but will shrink down as it cools. Makes 4 large servings w/ approx. 6 carbs per serving. Note that I used 4 extremely large eggs - one of my hens lays elliptical tennis balls (practically), so if your eggs are small or medium, you could probably even use 5. This recipe only has about 13-14 g. protein per serving, so have it with a whey protein drink or some meat or something.

:wave: Catinhat

DonsAngel1 Sun, Oct-27-02 11:26

Catinhat,

Sounds fabulous! I have been worried about the holidays coming up and what besides turkey I can eat. Thanks for the idea.
:thup: :thup:

PineSlayer Sun, Oct-27-02 12:11

Carb count is higher than you think...

I ran the numbers for the ECC of the ingredients thru FitDay, and here's what I got.

Splenda 1/2 c 12 (not on FitDay, but has 24 ECC per cup)
Pumpkin, 1.25 cup 15.86
Cream Cheese, lowfat 16.8
eggs, 4 Large 2.44
Total ECC Carbs 47.1
Per serving for 4 servings 11.77

Did I misfigure something?

catinhat Sun, Oct-27-02 12:56

I didn't run this through fitday. I used the nutrition info on the ingredients at hand. Philly light says it's 1 g/oz. The pumpkin I used was lower than the number fitday provided to you, etc. etc., so that's what's going on. I have always been told that there is no need to worry about the miniscule amt. in eggs or shellfish (according to PPLP), so I don't.

I have tested my blood levels after eating this with no problems. I don't know what to tell you - it has been a good breakfast food for me. It's not something I'd eat daily, so that might be why. . .

BSunnyC Wed, Nov-13-02 13:59

Approximately how long to bake?

Catinhat,

This receipe sounds wonderful, eggs without tasting them. However, I am not the best cook, could you give me an idea how long do you usually bake the "Pumkin Bake"?

Always,
BSunny :sunny:

penelope Wed, Nov-13-02 14:11

This is my next breakfast .

Pineslayer, did you forget to substract the fiber?

cgar Thu, Dec-19-02 09:22

Pumpkin Bake

Hi,

Sounds great...

But what size pan and how long to bake?

Thanks a bunch

TeriDoodle Thu, Dec-19-02 09:29

Why don't your try microwaving it? it's very similar to a mock danish which I microwave every morning! I'd try putting it in a small glass (1-qt) casserole dish or loaf pan, nuke on med power for about 3-4 mins. If the center is still gooey, cook a little longer. If you're baking it at 350, I'd check it at 20 mins to see if the center is set....if not, cook a little longer! :D

penelope Thu, Dec-19-02 09:56

Is it possible to make it the night before and reheat it for breakfast or would it be rubbery?
Pene

CarolynC Sun, Nov-16-03 14:41

I made this today. It is excellent! In addition to a breakfast food, it would be wonderful as a Thanksgiving desert.

I used regular cream cheese, rather than Philly lite. It made four big servings. Here's the nutrition information that the DietPower program gave for a serving of this recipe:

Calories 340
Fat 27.7 g
Saturated Fat 14.7 g
Polyunsat Fat 2.2 g
Monosat Fat 8.7 g
Cholesterol 297 mg
Sodium 532 mg
Potassium 298 mg
Carbohdrate 12.0 g
Fiber 2.5 g
(Giving an ECC of 9.5 g per serving)
Sugars 0 g
Protein 12.1 g
Vitamin A 202%DV
Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 10%
Iron 15%
Vitamin D 0%
Vitamin E 6%

Iowagirl Sat, Nov-22-03 20:14

I cut this recipe in half, baked in a small, glass pie pan for nearly an hour. It basically tastes like the inside of pumpkin pie! Of course, I had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.....

el corazón Tue, Nov-25-03 09:13

i quartered this recipe and made 3 smallish size muffins. very very yummy, i even licked the bowl clean of all the batter. i didnt have pumpkin pie spice so just threw a teeny bit of nutmeg, cloves, etc in with lots of cinnamon to taste.. YUM. i baked it for 50 min and it was still kinda gooey. is it supposed to be like that? either way its good! raw, gooey, and probably even burnt! :) thanks for the recipe!

el corazón Tue, Nov-25-03 10:19

How to make it less *wet*

I made the pumpkin bake (which was VERY good) but I was wondering if there is a way to make it less wet and...gooey-ish. Main ingredients are egg, cream cheese and pumpkin. Thank ya!!

4beans4me Tue, Nov-25-03 10:25

Maybe a bit of almond flour? I use this in my pumpkin bars...

Haggar Mon, Dec-08-03 10:31

Thanks for the recipe, made it last night and ate this morning, turned out pretty good. I forgot to get more Splenda before I started making it, so only added 1/4 cup. It probably wasn't as sweat as it should've been but was still quite tasty. I also added a bit of flax meal, less than 1/4 cup to see if that would help thicken it at all, and mine turned out pretty firm and not goopy.

Baked for 35-40 minutes at 350 in a glass 9x9 casserole dish, covered with foil. I baked the night before and heated a square for breakfast this morning.