Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Pork Rind Bread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=463367)

meintc Sat, Nov-01-14 12:01

Pork Rind Bread

I don't know if anyone has posted this, but I thought of it on my own, but after I experimented with it I found similar on the net. I wanted to post it anyway because it isn't every day I think of something and it actually works.

42 grams or 1.5 oz Pork Rinds (reg or flavored)
2 large eggs

Beat eggs in small bowl. Crush or put in food processor the pork rinds. Add pork rinds to eggs, mix until well blended. Fold into a 8" X 8" greased or sprayed with cooking spray baking dish. I used glass. Spread with a fork to cover bottom of dish. (it will be thin). Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min. Use spatula to remove onto cooling rack. Cut to size.

I also used a pie plate and cooked a round one that I will use as a pizza crust. I haven't done it yet, but will soon. Freezes well too.

I've made grilled cheese sandwiches with it and it browns up nicely. It's very firm and no aftertaste.

Elizellen Mon, Nov-03-14 06:06

Sounds an interesting way of using pork rinds!! :thup:

meintc Mon, Nov-03-14 17:04

Yes it is and no carbs either. I'm looking forward to making a pizza with it too. Maybe this weekend. I've been eating skillet pizza lately and it would be interesting how it will work as a pizza crust.

meintc Sat, Nov-08-14 17:12

I tried the bread as a pizza crust. It was awesome! It held up very well. I could hold a piece just like regular crust. I had made the crusts 1 week ago and froze it. It freezes very well. This is a keeper.

The other recipes on the net that I found after I made mine, added spices & parmesan cheese. One even used cream cheese. :q: I've not tried them, but I like mine because it's simple. I would maybe like to add garlic to the next one. Italian spices might be nice too.

Womb Tue, Nov-25-14 00:19

OK well this sounds utterly fantastic! This could be a perfect replacement for other things, especially in induction. I'll give it a shot and see.

Meme#1 Tue, May-05-15 16:27

Meintc, This sounds like a fantastic invention.
I can't wait to try it!!
Thanks

Bonnie OFS Thu, May-21-15 15:33

It was good, but pretty chewy. Tho perhaps I didn't spread the batter thin enough. Does it get crisp when thin?

meintc Sun, May-24-15 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
It was good, but pretty chewy. Tho perhaps I didn't spread the batter thin enough. Does it get crisp when thin?

Yes it does turn out a bit rubbery even when thin. My end product is about 1/4 in thick and it still is a bit on the elastic side. I would say that is because of the egg and since there is no leavening agent in it. I've not made it in awhile as I've no desire lately for sandwiches. I have quite a bit in the freezer and I have taken it out now and then for grilled cheese sandwiches.

As I type a reply to you, I'm wondering if baking powder might fluff it up a bit. I'll have to try that and see.

I took time out today to try adding 1 tsp baking powder to the recipe. It looks like it did soften it a bit.

meintc Mon, May-25-15 10:26

Definitely add 1 tsp baking powder to the recipe. At least with my grilled cheese it seems softer.