Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   After work-out food? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181446)

Dormouse Sun, May-09-04 08:59

Blimey, I'm female and 5' and my goal weight is 120 lbs! I want lots of lovely muscles too though.

doogieb - Did you ever try the Choc/Mint Reflex whey? My husband was wondering the other day what it was like.

Built Sun, May-09-04 13:28

He there Dor! Lovely to see you pop in!

Lovely people here. You'll feel very welcome I'm sure - I did right away.

:)

Built Sun, May-09-04 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAimee
TrainerDan, Built, Anyone???????

If I drink a whey protein shake (w/o carbs) after a workout should I include it into my calorie count for the day since the shake is readily used? Reason I am asking is - I am watching my calories as well as my carbs but when I tallied up my calories for the day (1 weight workout and 1 boot camp workout) I was close to 2500 calories for that day. I'm trying to stay b/w 1400-1800/day. I know I need more calories when working out but 1000 more a day seems a little crazy. What do you think?

Thanks!

-Aimee :daze:

Hi Aimee -

My feeling is "yes - count it". I always do.

And you don't work out every day - your calorie deficit will vary from day to day.

Personally, I really only vary carbs from day to day, but that may change on my next tweak. You are at that maddening "oh so close to my goal" stage. I feel for you. It totally drives you nuts trying to get that last bit off, especially when you've lost a LOT - you get used to dropping 5-10 pounds a month, then it's a pound every two months.

Arrrrgh! (shared scream!)

Bump for Trainerdan?

Vanity3 Sun, May-09-04 13:42

What do you guys think about adding unsweetened soy milk to the whey protein shake?

Built Sun, May-09-04 13:46

Personally, because soy has estrogenic (read: fat loving) properties, I don't eat very much of it. And my feeling is that even unsweetened, it probably has too many carbs. I like to enjoy my carbs - I'd rather have a square of chocolate and savour it than hide them in my <sarcasm>oh-so-yummy </sarcasm> PWO whey.

But that's just me. Call me crazy...

;)

Chipperoo Sun, May-09-04 13:48

Hi Aimee, yes every calorie you put INTO your body has to be counted if you ARE counting. We discount certain carb grams (some postworkout, fiber) from out daily count, because they don't affect ketosis. Even those calories from the carbs must be counted though!

Built Sun, May-09-04 13:56

You count fibre calories? But they don't get metabolized.

Did I mis-read?

doogieb Sun, May-09-04 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormouse
doogieb - Did you ever try the Choc/Mint Reflex whey? My husband was wondering the other day what it was like.

I've had it a few times and as far as I can remember, it tastes just like mint & choc ice cream.... which is good, but a couple of times I've had weird mint/choc flavour burps a little afterwards!

It certainly tastes like something you shouldn't be drinking, in a it-must-be-bad-for-you sort of a way :)

Chipperoo Sun, May-09-04 13:59

Never really thought to not count'em except for when I take metamucil, but you really don't have to. Good point, Built.

Vanity3 Sun, May-09-04 14:01

Quote:
Personally, because soy has estrogenic (read: fat loving) properties, I don't eat very much of it. And my feeling is that even unsweetened, it probably has too many carbs

Unsweetened soy milk has 1 carb per 8 oz serving and 7 grams of protein.

Built Sun, May-09-04 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperoo
Never really thought to not count'em except for when I take metamucil, but you really don't have to. Good point, Built.

WHEW - thanks bud!

I eat a LOT of extra fibre or I just, don't, well, "go". I know, it's an uncomfortable topic, but let's face it - if your bowel isn't happy, YOU'RE not happy.

Chipperoo Sun, May-09-04 14:07

Yeah, well had that prob. for a long time, but finally figured out that if I ate salad at EVERY meal (and maybe the olive oil helps also) then, viola!, no more prob. Of course, I don't mean every little snack, but you get the picture.

I used to weight 2lbs less upon emerging from the bathroom when I didn't eat the salads all the time, not a pretty picture,huh. But, it is needed information by anyone on a ketonic diet :eek:

Dormouse Sun, May-09-04 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogieb
I've had it a few times and as far as I can remember, it tastes just like mint & choc ice cream.... which is good, but a couple of times I've had weird mint/choc flavour burps a little afterwards!

It certainly tastes like something you shouldn't be drinking, in a it-must-be-bad-for-you sort of a way :)

Cheers Doogie. I'll let him know.

Dormouse Sun, May-09-04 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
He there Dor! Lovely to see you pop in!
Lovely people here. You'll feel very welcome I'm sure - I did right away.
:)

Hi there babe. I've been on here all day reading. My eyes have gone all dry and fuzzy. Very good site though, thanks for recommending it.

dtadpole Sun, May-09-04 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Personally, I don't do "supplemental" food after cardio - real food only, protein and lots of fat to keep ketosis going. My experience has been that the whey just knocks you out of ketosis.

Probably different if you are running for performance rather than fat loss. But I don't run anymore - the hips and knees just couldn't take it anymore <creak!>

Built,
If I did my running/jogging on tues,thurs,sat,sun, and Weights monday,wed,fri. Would it be ok to take whey shake after weights on those days. Would that screw up my ketosis?

Also got a huge bottle of low carb strawberry whey this weekend ~ GNC for $20.00. It was on sale. Not ~ home or I could tell ya the brand to see if it was any good or not. I'll post back in the morning when I get home.