Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How dark chocolate became a health food (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478456)

WereBear Sat, Oct-21-17 08:48

How dark chocolate became a health food

No surprises to the nutritionally savvy among us. And this has not diminished my love of dark chocolate!

Quote:
The Mars company has sponsored hundreds of scientific studies to show cocoa is good for you.
Cadbury Jr.’s newest confection loaded just about every buzzy health trend into a fresh green-and-white package: vegan, ethically sourced, organic dark chocolate and creamy, superfood avocado. The company promised to deliver the nutrition of avocados — in a chocolate bar. Journalists were dazzled.

Wait, what? Make no mistake: This vegan avocado chocolate bar is candy. With nearly 600 calories and 43 grams of fat per 100-gram serving, the bar packs more fat and calories than Cadbury Dairy Milk, and just a little less sugar.
“Mars and [other chocolate companies] made a conscious decision to invest in science to transform the image of their product from a treat to a health food,” said New York University nutrition researcher Marion Nestle (no relation to the chocolate maker). “You can now sit there with your [chocolate bar] and say I’m getting my flavonoids.”

Amid a historic obesity epidemic, this new niche of nutrition science has helped build a solid aura of health around chocolate — and grow consumer demand. Chocolate retail sales in the US have risen from $14.2 billion in 2007 to $18.9 billion in 2017, the market research group Euromonitor International found, at a time when candy sales overall have been waning.
When you look at industry-funded studies, one thing becomes clear: They tend to focus on the health attributes of cocoa: its impact on cardiovascular health or cognitive function. But they don’t address the role the cocoa delivery mechanism — sugary chocolate — may play in obesity. Most Mars and Hershey chocolates also contain very small amounts of the cocoa that supposedly promotes heart health — along with lots of fat, sugar, and calories.

Dark chocolate is now a health food. Here’s how that happened.

We are alert to sugar and the overall healthy diet. We don't fall for the game. But be aware, that's all.

Ambulo Sat, Oct-21-17 09:10

I'm happy with my organic 100% chocolate. Calories, schmalories :yum:

cshepard Sun, Oct-22-17 08:33

From the post linked to above:

"And a diet heavy in chocolate is a diet heavy in sugar, calories, and fat."

Except when it's not. I would love to see some studies focusing on the benefits of non-candy cocoa in a healthy, sugar free diet.

I enjoy a lot of plain, unsweetened, cocoa powder - in my coffee, in spiced teas, as mole sauces and rubs and mixed with coconut cream in frozen desserts (with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners), and I believe that it is a good source of fibre, and potassium among other things.
The main trouble I see with chocolate is that everyone assumes you can only enjoy it as a sweetened candy bar. The deliciousness is still there if you can ween yourself off the sugar.

WereBear Thu, Oct-26-17 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
From the post linked to above:

"And a diet heavy in chocolate is a diet heavy in sugar, calories, and fat."

Except when it's not. I would love to see some studies focusing on the benefits of non-candy cocoa in a healthy, sugar free diet.

I enjoy a lot of plain, unsweetened, cocoa powder - in my coffee, in spiced teas, as mole sauces and rubs and mixed with coconut cream in frozen desserts (with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners), and I believe that it is a good source of fibre, and potassium among other things.
The main trouble I see with chocolate is that everyone assumes you can only enjoy it as a sweetened candy bar. The deliciousness is still there if you can ween yourself off the sugar.

I completely agree! I get high quality cocoa and add it to my whole milk, unsweetened, yogurt with berries; delightful! Shreds of baking chocolate also work.

It doesn't have to have the sugar. And there's nothing wrong with fat; cocoa butter, either.