Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Emotional Issues & Body Image (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Strongest Urge to Cheat/Emotional EatingAQArfe (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461809)

bworthey Thu, Jul-24-14 10:18

Strongest Urge to Cheat/Emotional Eating

So, I've never really needed a reason to eat - hence the reason for being almost 400 pounds I guess. Today, the monster has jumped back up after a morning of arguing, reminders of a lifetime of disappointments and failures and just over all crap the urge to grab a Mountain Dew and snickers or pint of ice cream has never been stronger. I guess it's strange to me that's it's still there so strong. I haven't cheated, and I won't.

I guess I really just needed to vent. In 8 months, I've never been this close to grabbing sugar! There were no strategies, just kept telling myself no - so, I guess how do you guys do it? I did opt for the diet mt dew instead of the regular! Ha!

Jandy01 Thu, Jul-24-14 10:35

I am having the very same situation today. Had a BIG argument with hubby. I was imagining all kinds of things I could dig into to make me "feel better"....I didn't but stress can really kick those cravings into gear.

bworthey Thu, Jul-24-14 11:21

Sorry you're having problems this morning too! Mine was with my mother. Ugh! And it's amazing how strong the feelings are. How vicious the cycle is, how stupid I feel actually for letting something like good have this much control over me - and I didn't even cheat this time!

Whofan Thu, Jul-24-14 11:23

When the urge is overwhelming, I think of something they say in overeaters anonymous: Never get too

Hungry
Angry
Lonely or
Tired
aka 'HALT'

Sure enough, when I stop to think about it, inevitably I will be in one of those four states. Realizing that is what's causing the urge helps me put it in perspective and therefore fight it off.

CWatt Thu, Jul-24-14 11:35

I am finding the same thing lately - I get stressed, I start thinking about sweets and treats. I haven't given in, but wow, that feeling can be strong!

Jandy01 Thu, Jul-24-14 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
When the urge is overwhelming, I think of something they say in overeaters anonymous: Never get too

Hungry
Angry
Lonely or
Tired
aka 'HALT'

Sure enough, when I stop to think about it, inevitably I will be in one of those four states. Realizing that is what's causing the urge helps me put it in perspective and therefore fight it off.

These are usually the emotions that cause the strongest cravings. Very true indeed!

bworthey Thu, Jul-24-14 12:43

HALT - yeah, that's when I eat. Also add happy, sad, excited, sleepy, bored, or if I'm studying, watching tv, working - I think you get the point! Ha!

Judynyc Thu, Jul-24-14 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
HALT - yeah, that's when I eat. Also add happy, sad, excited, sleepy, bored, or if I'm studying, watching tv, working - I think you get the point! Ha!

Yup! I totally get it! I'm a really good example of an emotional eater. I used to not even be aware that I was doing it, just that needed to always go on a diet. :rolleyes:
When I finally saw that I was doing what I thought I wasn't doing, it became a learning process of finding other things to do when I'm hungry/stressed/angry/lonely/tired. Venting is big for me. :idea:

You did great to come here and reach out! That's the first step! And you didn't cave in!! That's the second step. :thup:

bworthey Thu, Jul-24-14 16:11

I used to find myself standing in front of the fridge, with the door open staring at food, what can I eat - wouldn't be hungry! Sometimes would have just walked back into the kitchen to out my plate up from finishing eating a meal or could be finishing a meal and be thinking about what's next, what's in there I can eat next? And I'd be full!!!! But I wanted more. I never understood that disconnect, my body, my stomach is full but something is telling me - eat more, get something else. Now, since doing low carb, I've started leaving food on my plate! That was a rare thing for me!

Judynyc Thu, Jul-24-14 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
I used to find myself standing in front of the fridge, with the door open staring at food, what can I eat - wouldn't be hungry! Sometimes would have just walked back into the kitchen to out my plate up from finishing eating a meal or could be finishing a meal and be thinking about what's next, what's in there I can eat next? And I'd be full!!!! But I wanted more. I never understood that disconnect, my body, my stomach is full but something is telling me - eat more, get something else. Now, since doing low carb, I've started leaving food on my plate! That was a rare thing for me!

Yup! Its a big learning process. You are seeing yourself clearly now. :agree:

Quasimodo Thu, Jul-24-14 19:12

I NEVER thought I was an emotional eater until I had a similar situation---stress with one of my kids it was, I think--and felt SO entitled to have something sweet directly after. It was one of the hardest cravings I had ever experienced (probably because I fought it off rather than giving in), and one of the weirdest!

Jandy01 Thu, Jul-24-14 19:33

It is amazing how much control emotions can have over us. I guess recognizing it is the missing puzzle piece. We have to see it before we can change it.