Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Confession Booth (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Carbs in just the "crust" of a pierogi ? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=463507)

TempleHall Tue, Nov-11-14 13:20

Carbs in just the "crust" of a pierogi ?

We buy some at the local farmers market, so no nutritional info on the packages. I've been eating one pierogi stuffed with scrambled eggs and cheese each morning for breakfast and wondered how carb-ascious is the stuff holding the eggs and cheese together via that cute but possibly evil little clamshell of flour and whatnot ? :help:

CallmeAnn Tue, Nov-11-14 13:56

There could be trace carbs in the filling but I would imagine that if you could completely separate the filling from the dumpling, it would be pretty low.

TempleHall Tue, Nov-11-14 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
There could be trace carbs in the filling but I would imagine that if you could completely separate the filling from the dumpling, it would be pretty low.
Ah yes..."dumpling" is the word, not crust...(cooking is not my strong suit).

On the "separation" yes of course but that's not the point...the dumpling part is what makes it so good.....thus the question...how many carbs in a typical periogi dumpling ?

If the answer is 30 or so then it's hopeless and I'll go back to boiled eggs but if the answer is 15, then not so bad if I don't eat the entire dumpling, maybe I can keep it to 10.

CallmeAnn Tue, Nov-11-14 14:26

"...On the "separation" yes of course but that's not the point...the dumpling part is what makes it so good..."
Oops, I was going from the viewpoint that I often find myself facing a food that I wouldn't have ordinarily chosen and so have to find a way to make it fit with the plan. I should have realized that wasn't the context when you said y'all get them at the farmer's market. I read the title as "are the carbs only in the crust or are the carbs from the crust mixed in with the filling?" Some foods are easier to separate out than others. So, the real answer to your question is, "I have no idea". Don't you hate it when someone answers your question but has no idea what the answer is? ; )

teaser Tue, Nov-11-14 14:42

What I learned from my grandmother was basically an egg noodle, egg, flour, water salt. It could have milk. I'd just use the carb count from a similar sized noodle.

If it satisfies you for breakfast, it sounds like your pierogi are bigger than the ones Nanny made, so I couldn't really guess, either.

TempleHall Tue, Nov-11-14 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
What I learned from my grandmother was basically an egg noodle, egg, flour, water salt. It could have milk. I'd just use the carb count from a similar sized noodle.

If it satisfies you for breakfast, it sounds like your pierogi are bigger than the ones Nanny made, so I couldn't really guess, either.
Just measured a few... a "D" shape that average 4" long x 2" wide x 1" thick ;)

TammyD Mon, Nov-17-14 14:39

The outside of a perogi is all carbs I googled it and they suggested 37.