Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Which book? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=336402)

tammay Tue, May-29-07 17:52

Which book?

Hi all,
I'm going to give Protein Power a try as of tomorrow and I need to reorder the book. I had it about a year ago, along with a bunch of other LC books but gave them away when I moved :doah: . So I want to reorder the book but I remember that there are several out there. I'm doing the basic plan (i.e., 40 carbs/day, protein minimum requirements, etc.) so I have that down but which book gives a better explanation of the science behind lowcarbing? If memory serves me right, the Eades' books are some of the best in terms of explaining the science and I think I need to refresh my memory on all of that.

Also, since I don't have the book, I can't recall what the Eades said on veggies. I seem to remember that certain veggies (such as green leafy ones) didn't need to go into the daily carb count since they were pretty minimal. Anyone remember this?

Also, I'm doing this as a vegetarian this time (as opposed to a meat eater several years ago) so which of the books would be more vegetarian-friendly?

Tam

ElleH Tue, May-29-07 18:51

I would have to say that the PPLP book is the best one. It's the most up to date and will have enough science to keep you busy for a while! :)

lisaz8605 Wed, May-30-07 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
I would have to say that the PPLP book is the best one. It's the most up to date and will have enough science to keep you busy for a while! :)

Ditto that. I think they are all worth the investment, but if you had to have only one PPLP is an incredible resource that not only gives you the "how" but also refreshes your memory as to the "why".

Kelly1 Wed, Jun-13-07 18:38

Hi everyone! I am about to be a new PP follower, former Atkins follower, and was looking into getting oneof the books tomorrow. I was looking on Amazon and found two books that look good...which would be better, aka easy to understand and appropriate for a beginner, The 30-Day Low Carb Diet Solution or The Protein Power LifePlan?
And has anyone read both?

rodmick Wed, Jun-13-07 18:51

I like PPLP best but bought both. I actually bought the gram counter and both books for $10 and change(including the shipping) from www~thriftbooks~com.

lisaz8605 Wed, Jun-13-07 21:35

I bought the 30-day one just to have on hand for quick reference in the future, but honestly I think to truly understand this plan and why you're doing it, PPLP is the one to choose over all others. Now, I started with PP because I felt it was important to do complete research. But if you're confident in stepping ahead and wanting more advice on the "how" (just as I said earlier in this thread) and you want just one book, then I vote for PPLP.

Try4Me Thu, Jun-14-07 05:39

Quote:
Hi everyone! I am about to be a new PP follower, former Atkins follower, and was looking into getting oneof the books tomorrow. I was looking on Amazon and found two books that look good...which would be better, aka easy to understand and appropriate for a beginner, The 30-Day Low Carb Diet Solution or The Protein Power LifePlan?
And has anyone read both?

Kelly 1...

IMO............

Since you are a beginner and need guidance on the 'diet' itself, I would recommend The 30-Day Low Carb Diet Solution. It is easy for a beginner to understand.

While I love, love, love the scientific explanations, it does scare away a lot of people into thinking it is hard. I own four of their books and each one brings a new understanding of their way of eating.

Now, on the other hand, if you are into a lot of science and explanation as to the how and why low carb is good for you, then get PPLP for sure!!! It really opened my eyes!!!

Again, this is my view on it for a beginner! I have read so much on this forum about people not understanding the Eades because of all the science involved. I would not want to 'scare' anyone away from a way of eating that is healthy for LIFE!!!

I wish you luck.

arc Thu, Jun-14-07 07:14

I second Sharon's recommendation. It is a quick and easy way to get into the plan. You can always go back and add in PPLP later.

CindySue48 Thu, Jun-14-07 19:25

I also agree with Sharon. Get the 30 day book, read it and start the plan. Then, if you want more info, get PPLP. I also highly receommend Dr Mike's blog.

Oh yea...in case you all didin't see it, Dr Mike mentioned on a blog recently that they're working on, or at least thinking about another book. He said their editor was bugging them...so hopefully a new book will be out soon!!

Kelly1 Fri, Jun-15-07 16:21

I got both! I figure that the science is good, but a quick handy reference is great..

Try4Me Fri, Jun-15-07 17:21

Great Kelly!!

lisaz8605 Fri, Jun-15-07 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1
I got both! I figure that the science is good, but a quick handy reference is great..

Awesome! That's exactly what I did...and believe me, I reference PPLP almost daily. You won't regret reading it. That's the one thing I can say about what the Eadeses have written...no matter what plan you're on, you get SO much from reading their books.

Kelly1 Sat, Jun-16-07 14:18

I started reading PPLP and I love their reasoning behind a low carb diet. The explanation that the high carb, low fat diet contributes to disease helped me to look at starchy foods in a new light. I look at it as if I want to stay healthy and disease-free a low carb non starchy sweety foods diet is the best/ only way to live. I would recommend PPLP to everyone!!
I have had trouble lately staying away from the high carb foods, but today is the first day of my true low carb life!!

Try4Me Sat, Jun-16-07 18:09

Isn't it just great?!?
Don't you just love the 'Bottom Line' after each chapter. They really take the time to explain in layman's terms also, don't you think?

I am so glad you are enjoying reading it!!

Have a good evening.:wave:

Kelly1 Sat, Jun-16-07 18:18

Yes the bottom lines are awesome!! Just in case you don't completely understand the chapter, that bottom line will clear up any unanswered questions that you might have! This is the first diet related book that I have read that I actually enjoy reading.