Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   KathyD's Workout Log (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=199554)

KathyD Fri, Jul-23-04 19:44

KathyD's Workout Log

Ok, maybe since it appears I am going to stick to this lifting thing :lol: . I might as well open a gym log to track my workouts.

Started my WOs officially with Built's first workout plans on June 25th, 2004 and still doing it much to mine and DHs surprise. (Been almost a month on the dot.)

I am currently trying to either raise the wt or the reps everytime I do an exercise. I assume wts and reps go up alot in the beginning, because I am able to raise either every workout. Does anyone know if there is a problem with that?

I currently have a Weider 9600 pro Home gym. No barbells or dumbbells. But plan to add at least dumbbells soon.

Any suggestions you may have I would be happy to hear them!

This is what I did this evening.

WORKOUT 1
abs 2-3 minutes
stretches

LEGS
squats
3 x8 /no wt
1 x8 /3b
1 x10/3b
1 x12/3b

seated leg extensions (quads)
3 x 15 /3b,

SL deadlifts
3x8/4b

BACK
seated back cable row 3x15/4b

(behind the neck) lat pull downs 3x8/3b
shrugs
1x15 /4b
1x12 /5b
2x10 /5b

BICEPS

curls
3 x12 /1b

drag curls
1 x12 /1b
2x10 / 1b

pushups x12 (like a girl)

Decided to add pushups... Both biceps and triceps need more in my workouts. Wanted to do the pushups on my toes, but I think I will have to work up to that! :D

diemde Sat, Jul-24-04 11:52

Great job Kathy! Having a gym log helps me keep track of everything, too.

When I first started, I was raising the weights every time too. I think that's normal. You'll know when you get to the right levels for you.

I wish I had a home gym. When we move I do plan on either joining a gym or getting something to use at home. I just hope I can wait that long. :lol:

KathyD Sat, Jul-24-04 18:59

WORKOUT 2

abs 2-3 minutes
stretches

LEGS
split squats
3x8/40

DB Lunge
3x8 /5

standing leg curls
4x8 /20

leg press
3x12 /140

SHOULDERS (increased reps both exercises)
DB Arnold Press
3x12 /5

DB Front Raises
3x8 /5

DB Lateral Raises
3x8 /5

CHEST
Seated Fly
3x8 /20

Seated Chest Press /30
1x12
1x10
1x8

DB pullover
3x8 /5

TRICEPS
Skullcrushers
1x20 /5
2x15 /5

Kickbacks/Tri ext
3x10 /5

Pulley Pushdowns
3x8 /20

Lat pulldown bar
3x8 /20

Very Good workout. I feel the workout especially in the Triceps. I don't think they were getting a good workout before. My form needs work on TRI exercises.

The DB Lunges shows that I have probably been leaning on the cable for all my leg exercises. I was literally falling sideways everytime I changed legs. I will leave this in at the lowest weight until I get some BALANCE!!!

The Shoulder workout was really good. Made the Chest workout tougher.

Let see how I feel in the morning... Can you see me limping down the aisle at church tomorrow. EGADS!

KathyD Sun, Jul-25-04 17:27

No Workout today. I am thinking of adding Cardio in, in some form but have to come up with something I can do with the two little ones.

May just stuff them in the double stroller and walk up the block and back?!?

We'll see.

diemde Sun, Jul-25-04 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyD
I just saw an example of the Plie Squats, was thinking they might do me some good. Where do you feel those? <snip> One other question, what are knee lifts?

Hi Kathy, Supposedly the plie squats are good for the inner thighs. Since I'm not doing a lot of intensity yet, I can't tell yet. I just started doing squats because I'm still afraid of them from when I hurt myself the last time. I'm going to keep it to just 10 without weights until I get this excess fat off. The plie squats are much easier on my knees than the regular squats.

The knee lift idea came from the Walk Away the Pounds video I do. I've been doing it as part of the cardio work (without extra weights) and it has really strengthened my quads. I'm thinking it will help with all of the muscles around the knees. I'm using ankle weights and am just standing in place lifting the knee. I raise my knees so they are waist high and the thigh is parallel to the floor. Sort of like in this picture (but I go a little higher than they are doing):

I just bought some new ankle weights tonight. This new set goes up to 10 pounds. I really needed some higher ones for the leg curls... but I'm not yet ready for that much weight on the knee lifts.

I like doing all of this with the dumbbells. I think it's helping with my stabilizer muscles. At least I hope so - I need all the help there I can get. :lol:

KathyD Mon, Jul-26-04 20:56

WORKOUT 1

stretches

ABS
Seated Crunches
30 /40lbs

Side bends
30 per side

Leg Raises

LEGS
squats
3 x8 /10
3 x8 /30

Plie Squats
3x8 /10

3 x 15 /30

SL deadlifts
3x8/40

BACK
DB Bentover Row
3x8 /5

seated back cable row
3x15/40

close grip lat pulldowns
3x8/30

shrugs
3x15 /30

BICEPS

DB curls
3 x12 /5

DB Concentration Curls
3x10/5

Will add drag curls back in if I think I need them. Want to see how I feel tomorrow after the DB stuf on biceps.

Plie's wow. Don't think I even got parallel today. First time I did them, They feel good. I think I will keep them in awhile.

Hey shouldn't the DLs be on Hamstring days? And the Leg Press should be on Squat day HUH? I should switch them! Realized that on the last two reps of my last set of DLs.

Hey I'm learnin!

pammiejoe6 Mon, Jul-26-04 22:33

hhaha yeah i remember when i used to get my back exercises all messed up with my hammies...lmao.....you ARE learning! whohoooo great job!

i love lifting! great workout hun!

KathyD Tue, Jul-27-04 19:26

No Workout today

Low cal/carb day

KathyD Wed, Jul-28-04 20:40

WORKOUT 2

LEGS
split squats
3x8/40

DB Lunge
3x8 /10

standing leg curls
4x8 /20

SLDLs
3x8 /40

DB Arnold Press
3x8 /5

DB Front Raises
3x8 /5

DB Lateral Raises
3x8 /5

CHEST
Seated Fly
3x8 /20

Seated Chest Press /30
3x8

DB pullover
3x8 /5

TRICEPS
Skullcrushers
3x15 /5

Kickbacks/Tri ext
3x10 /5

Pulley Pushdowns
3x8 /20

Lat pulldown bar
3x8 /20

Well apparently a bad day at work (VERY STRESSFUL) translate to mediocre WO in the evening. My Leg and Shoulder workout was ok. The rest was less than is desired.

pammiejoe6 Sat, Jul-31-04 10:20

just do your very best next time hunny! youre doing great!!

keep it up~!

KathyD Thu, Aug-05-04 20:46

WORKOUT 1

stretches

ABS
Seated Crunches
40 /30lbs

Side bends
3x15 / 10

Leg Raises
30 /no wt. (skipped today)

LEGS
squats
3 x8 /20

Plie Squats
3x8 /10

3 x 15 /30

DB-SL deadlifts (oops did them again)
2x8/20

Leg Press
3x15 /130

Calf plate (?)
3x15 /130

BACK
DB Bentover Row
3x8 /10

seated back cable row
3x15/40

DB shrugs
3x15 /20

BICEPS

DB curls
3 x12 /10

DB Concentration Curls
3x10/10

DB Drag Curls
3x12 /10

Ok, Getting back in the gym after vacation. Boy it really took a lot to push myself up those stairs. Once I got started I could tell the difference before vacation and after.

I meant to move SLDL to WO2 but forgot until after I did two sets. I made myself do the leg press anyway so next time I do this WO and do the cut/paste I won't forget again.

Did not do leg raises this time. Leaving them as placeholder for next time.

Removed Lat pulldowns. Added back drag curls. Changed all leg exercise to DBs except extensions and press. Also changed Shrugs to DBs.

Added Calf exercise. My leg press plate swivels to allow you to work the calfs too. I sometimes did them but never recorded it. Decided to write it down from now on.

Sweatin like crazy, legs like jello. But did not have the intensity of a normal WO until the end of the WO.

Tomorrow will be better!

KathyD Sat, Aug-07-04 18:29

WORKOUT 2

LEGS
DB split squats
3x15/30

standing leg curls
4x10 /20

DB SLDLs
2x8 /30
1x15 /30

DB Arnold Press
1x15 /5
2x6 /10

DB Front Raises
3x8 /5

DB Lateral Raises
3x8 /5

CHEST
Seated Fly
3x8 /20

Seated Chest Press
3x8/30

DB pullover
3x10 /10

TRICEPS
Skullcrushers
3x15 /5

Kickbacks/Tri ext
3x10 /5

Dips
3x6/BW

Changed split squats/lunges to DBs. Increased wt on arnold press. Not sure my Chest exercises are the best. The Fly is on my home gym I feel it more in my arms than chest (hardly at all) can't get the thing going with additional wt, each brick is 10 pds! . Same for the Chest press. DB pullover didn't seem to do much either, maybe use the 15 DB?!?. Will go looking to see if there is something I can add/change now that I seem to have the other body parts working well.

Change lat pulldown for dips. I can feel those better than the pulldown. It seems I am slowly eliminating all the home gym exercises. I am amazed at the difference I feel in DBs vs.machines. I didn't really believe that the difference was really that significant. But it is!!

Off hunting for Chest exercises with DBs...

KathyD Sun, Aug-08-04 20:58

Cardio: 20 Mins

Jump rope / Walking

KathyD Mon, Aug-09-04 20:58

WORKOUT 1

stretches

ABS
Seated Crunches
3x15 /30lbs

DB Side bends
3x15 / 15

Leg Raises
30 /no wt.

LEGS
DB ATF squats (FIRST TIME!)
3 x6 /20

Plie Squats (deletin these next time, don't need em anymore!)
3x8 /10

3 x 15 /30

Leg Press
3x8 /130

Calf plate
3x8 /130

BACK
DB Bentover Row
3x8 /10

seated back cable row
3x15/40

DB shrugs
3x15 /20

BICEPS

DB curls
3 x12 /10

DB Drag Curls
3x12 /10

First time ever for ATF squats... They weren't pretty I'm sure but I still got all the way down there AND back up again! YES! The plies killed me after the ATFs barely made it through extentions and the press.

In fact my whole workout was really tough today. Kinda like I exhausted myself on the squats so not enough energy for the rest kinda thing. I used 10 pders on the BIs. Might as well have both halfs of my body in pain tomorrow... :lol:

pammiejoe6 Tue, Aug-10-04 07:48

workout looks great sweety!

i dont see any hamstring exercises! maybe try straight leg deadlifts? i know with my routine ( see gym log) for Lower body i do quads, hamstrings, calves, and abs.......Upper Body is chest, shoulders, back, biceps and triceps....

youre really kickin it girl! keep it up!
Quote:

Quote:
( i also read in my new muscle & fitness that cardio in between sets really gets the fat burning going so i have continued to do as i have always done and DANCED in between sets! hehehhe)]

Really... I have never heard this. Maybe the only way for me to consistently get cardio in :lol: Kind of walking off the burn from the previous sets.

Interesting!!!
</FONT></FONT>i just put on a great dance cd and get to moving! i dont stop the entire workout! its FUN!! ( this is funny, but i actually invision that i am doing my workout to an audience everytime! i dance and move and always try to do my very best!!!hehehe)

have a fab day doll!