Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Re-committing 100% to Atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477356)

barb712 Thu, Jun-01-17 20:16

Re-committing 100% to Atkins

I started on Atkins a little over two months ago, and it's been quite a ride. I've learned a lot. After a month or so, I felt myself in ketosis, the way other people described it. It was a double-edged sword for me. I'd lost 11 or so pounds and felt really good. More energy, fewer aches and pains. However, my appetite was gone. It was a scary feeling, not being hungry. I realized I hadn't done number two for as many weeks. I had no bowel sounds. It was really scary. I did my research after the fact (should have read up on it before starting, but hindsight's 20-20) and started taking a magnesium citrate supplement, drinking more water, Lo-salting my food, forcing myself up and out for a 15-20 minute walk most days. It helped a lot. I also decided this diet was too extreme, hazardous to my health and I was going to abandon it. I decided to try something more along the lines of paleo/primal, adding back in my yogurt and bananas each day.

Well, after two weeks of Greek yogurt in the morning I was convinced that I needed to stay away from dairy altogether. As for the banana, a former staple food of mine, I was surprised to discover it tasted very sweet, almost too sweet. I'd rather have a few strawberries. My palate had changed. My thinking had changed. A small but surprising success.

I had another, important revelation tonight on reading blogs touting the benefits of cooked-and-cooled potatoes and rice and pasta to feed gut flora. Dangerous territory for me. I tend to fall into a trap over and over thinking I can eat anything I like in whatever quantity I like and lose weight. It's time to stop the madness! :idea:

So, after a little straying and some nutritional tweaks (there will no doubt be more as I go along), Atkins works for me. I'm glad I got most of my doubts and fears and curiosities out of my system. Onward and upward (or downward, as it were).

mike_d Fri, Jun-02-17 01:13

Quote:
Well, after two weeks of Greek yogurt in the morning I was convinced that I needed to stay away from dairy altogether.
When I re- started Atkins I lost a stone in 11 days. Likely mostly water.

Have you tried homemade kefir? I seem to be somewhat dairy sensitive and its helped me in many ways. A great craving/hunger killer. Lots of threads on it here. Another trick I am using is 1/2 grapefruit sometimes 30 min before meals it's 9 carbs, but it does stuff.

barb712 Fri, Jun-02-17 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
When I re- started Atkins I lost a stone in 11 days. Likely mostly water.

Have you tried homemade kefir? I seem to be somewhat dairy sensitive and its helped me in many ways. A great craving/hunger killer. Lots of threads on it here. Another trick I am using is 1/2 grapefruit sometimes 30 min before meals it's 9 carbs, but it does stuff.

I lost a lot of bloat/water weight quickly at the outset, probably about 8 pounds. I knew it was mostly water, but it was such a relief and an incentive to keep going. By the scale as well as measuring tape, I've lost about another 5 pounds/several inches so far. I've plateaued here for a while, but no complaints - more will come off in good time.

Thanks for letting me know about the kefir. I think I'm going to stay completely away from all dairy and try fermented vegetables instead like sauerkraut, pickles and olives. I've heard about kombucha and am curious about that, too.

I love grapefruit; glad you mentioned it. I'm going to add that to my A list of addable fruits. I definitely feel like lower carb, high-water-content fruits help move things along, besides being hydrating and delicious. According to books I've read in the past, I usually eat it in the morning or before/in between meals, by itself, for better digestion. So your recommendation to eat it a half hour before meals sounds spot on for me! I will try it. Thanks again.

JEY100 Fri, Jun-02-17 11:11

As you re-commit to Atkins, here are some other ideas how to avoid constipation from DietDoctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...ts#constipation and Dr. Westman

Quote:
The following recommendations can help you
avoid or minimize these side effects.
Drink Lots of Liquids: It is important to drink an adequate amount of fluid per day – preferably water or another non-caffeinated beverage.
Constipation: If you are experiencing constipation (hard stools or hard-to-pass stools), there are a number of ways that you may address the issue.
-use 1 teaspoon of milk of magnesia at bedtime daily
-add ½ cup of fiber-rich vegetables to your diet per day
-have 1 to 2 servings per day of sugar-free gum or sugar-free candy that contains sorbitol or
another sugar alcohol
-use sugar-free Metamucil twice a day

All the best as you continue refine the best diet for you.

VLC.MD Fri, Jun-02-17 12:26

Other constipation tips:

PEG3350 is a great laxative and it is not absorbed .. not sure if they add carbs to it. Wouldn't think so.

Coffee is a good laxative for many people. I know it's not allowed on the Atkins plan. But if you are going to give up Atkins because of the constipation ... it might be worth a decaf try. :)

The milk of magnesia suggestion is a good thing to try.
Sometimes combining a few things in low doses can help.

Another bowel med is lactulose. Very sweet. It must have carbs in it .... although this link says no.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...595954?v2=false

but this says yes to calories,
http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/...FoodID=58672316

And this says calories but no carbs.
http://uk-forum.atkins.com/communit...or-constipation

Quote:
I mentioned the impact of lactulose to my consultant, who understands my needs to keep the weight I have lost off using LCHF, he stated that one tablespoon of lactulose has 28 calories, but no carbs, fat or protein that is available to the body. The lactose is like a milk sugar or like some natural sweeteners but it does what it is meant to, goes in and comes out.

madeyna Fri, Jun-02-17 12:56

Coffee is okay on some of the later Atkins diet books.

barb712 Fri, Jun-02-17 14:58

Wow, thank you all for the great info and suggestions! I've been much more vigilant about drinking plenty of water, eating plenty of juicy fibrous vegetables (and have added in Atkins-friendly fruit and berries as well), and moving around more. I've also started taking a magnesium citrate supplement. I'm feeling and doing much better, bringing things into balance. I still want to try a combination of different things (a lot of what you suggested) to find the best routine for me, but I'm feeling much more encouraged now. :thup:

barb712 Sun, Jul-16-17 13:51

deleted - moving post to new thread ...