Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A Diet Mimicking Fasting Promotes Regeneration and Reduces Autoimmunity and MS (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=473638)

RawNut Thu, May-26-16 17:53

A Diet Mimicking Fasting Promotes Regeneration and Reduces Autoimmunity and MS

Quote:
Summary

Dietary interventions have not been effective in the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS). Here, we show that periodic 3-day cycles of a fasting mimicking diet (FMD) are effective in ameliorating demyelination and symptoms in a murine experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) model. The FMD reduced clinical severity in all mice and completely reversed symptoms in 20% of animals. These improvements were associated with increased corticosterone levels and regulatory T (Treg) cell numbers and reduced levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines, TH1 and TH17 cells, and antigen-presenting cells (APCs). Moreover, the FMD promoted oligodendrocyte precursor cell regeneration and remyelination in axons in both EAE and cuprizone MS models, supporting its effects on both suppression of autoimmunity and remyelination. We also report preliminary data suggesting that an FMD or a chronic ketogenic diet are safe, feasible, and potentially effective in the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) patients (NCT01538355).

Full text: http://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fu...1247(16)30576-9

Fauve Thu, May-26-16 19:10

Cool! Ketogenic diet is the best!

WereBear Fri, May-27-16 06:50

I found this article explaining it:

https://thequantifiedbody.net/fast-mimicking-diet/

High fat, high micronutrients. Low protein, and no carb.

I wonder if previously there would have been natural mini-cycles with religious practices? One of the criticisms of the Keys lipid studies was that the Mediterranean diet looked especially good because he polled food practices during Lent.

GRB5111 Fri, May-27-16 08:09

Thanks for the links, RN and WB. Very interesting reads.

Nancy LC Fri, May-27-16 09:14

Quote:
High fat, high micronutrients. Low protein, and no carb.

I wouldn't call it no carb. Especially if you go look at the FMD recipes. The biggest attribute seems to be low protein. I may have to give it a shot. My immune system does need a break.

WereBear Fri, May-27-16 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I wouldn't call it no carb. Especially if you go look at the FMD recipes. The biggest attribute seems to be low protein. I may have to give it a shot. My immune system does need a break.

Didn't look at the recipes.

Myself, I am doing only dinner (which is what Dr. Fung does) and I feel good. Eating dinner instead of some other meal seems to solve my "ketosis is surging and I'm trying to sleep" problem.

But I am hoping this is a sustainable way to reset my endocrine system.

katmeyster Fri, May-27-16 13:52

Funny, I just posted this over in General Health.

Here's a link to the layperson's version from USC:

https://news.usc.edu/101187/diet-th...rosis-symptoms/

Also, the initial research that was more about longevity and cancer growth reduction:

https://news.usc.edu/82959/diet-tha...-to-slow-aging/

It seems most of the benefits come from the Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD), at least as far as autoimmunity, longevity, and now MS is concerned. Although the Ketogenic Diet is seen to have benefits as well -- just not as significant as the FMD.

bluesinger Fri, May-27-16 15:51

Quote:
What is the Fast Mimicking Diet?

The exact details of what the Fast Mimicking Diet is in terms of food breakdown aren’t available publicly. Which in part, can be explained by the fact that the main researcher behind the fast mimicking diet, Valter Longo, owns a patent on the FMD (published January 2015) and a company which has designed a comprehensive packaged FMD dietary product ProLon.

For our purposes though there is enough information available to put together our own version of it. The Fast Mimicking Diet I used and the other versions below, are based on some very specific FMD design points found in Longo’s January 2015 patent and the June 2015 study (the macro and micronutrient do’s and don’ts).

The nutrition rules established for the Fast Mimicking Diet are:

Each month (3 / 4 cycles in studies): 25 days eat normally, 5 days FMD
High micronutrient content (i.e. greater than 50 percent by weight) from natural sources
Ketogenic: Restricted protein and a high percentage of calories from fat

In practice this translates to:

Day 1: 54% norm caloric intake 1,090 kcal (10% protein, 56% fat, 34% carb)
Days 2–5: 34% norm caloric intake 725 kcal (9% protein, 44% fat, 47% carb)

Entire article...

Bonnie OFS Fri, May-27-16 16:45

Sounds kinda complicated. And with a patent, that must mean he has something to sell. I think I'll just keep skipping meals - no one has a patent on that yet! ;)

Zei Fri, May-27-16 20:57

Problem. The diet with 1090 calories works out to about 92 grams of carbohydrate a day at the given macro nutrient percentages and the 725 calorie diet comes to about 85 grams of carbohydrate a day. Those amounts of carbohydrate are both way too high for a lot of people's bodies to be able to enter ketosis or begin burning fat for fuel and would simply be what Gary Taubes described as semi-starvation diets. High enough carbs to keep the body trying to burn carbs for fuel while hormonally unable to access its own fat storage to make up the calorie deficiency to meet the brain and body's needs. Not good. At that rate might have to resort to burning muscle protein to make glucose for brain and body since the body's fat can't be accessed as fuel or to produce ketones which could otherwise fuel the brain. If I were designing a diet intended to mimic fasting but while allowing the comfort of some food, I'd advise ditching those carbs in favor of fat while keeping the protein level low since both carbohydrate and to some extent protein (but not really fat) elevate insulin which as part of its job signals the body to burn glucose instead of fat. Actual fasting lowers insulin and so should this idea for a diet, so it should much more closely mimic fasting than the higher carb one.

WereBear Sat, May-28-16 06:01

To be, carb addiction is totally real, because look what entire cultures go through to avoid not having them in their diet.

GRB5111 Sat, May-28-16 06:56

I agree that it appears complicated. If it helps people with MS, the fact that it's complicated shouldn't be an issue. However, the life longevity and general health claims require further research, as answers to the following questions would be helpful. Is the 5-day FMD protocol really the same as a 5-day water fast? How does it compare in terms of autophagy and other metabolic processes? Can a shorter water fast produce the same results, or does this really require 5 days?

For those already fat adapted, fasting isn't the burden the articles describe. In terms of fasting being unhealthy, that's possibly true for some, but I feel this point is exaggerated in the articles. People who have never tried fasting are probably going to believe this claim.

It looks like the FMD diet is going to be marketed in some form of food equivalent. Processed? That would help with the complicated nature of what one has to eat. More to come apparently . . .

WereBear Sat, May-28-16 10:37

I think FMD can be seen as less scary, but yes, most people will see fasting from their carb-laden state, where they have three spoons of sugar in their coffee, grab a Danish, and then are freakishly hungry two hours later.

kirkor Sun, Feb-05-17 12:38

The whole "patented" thing seems quite weird to me. On Ketogenic Forums one user posted this:
Quote:
Dr. Valter Longo developed/patented a Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD) that I've referenced in another thread that's intended as an adjunct for cancer treatment and anywhere autophagy is beneficial and although the exact details are not public, we know it is 5 days long and recommended once per month for people needing it.

People have been able to infer that the FMD is roughly equivalent to eating a small avocado in the morning and one in the evening with a concentrated "greens" supplement, so it provides about 500 calories per day almost all of which is fat.

teaser Sun, Feb-05-17 13:16

I've done something similar, but with low carb veggies and broth instead of the greens supplement. Gives sort of a placeholder soup for meals.

Can't blame Long for wanting to make a few bucks. But I don't think his research area gives him much advantage when it comes to micronutrition, and when it comes to the macros, the cat's sort of out of the bag, protein and carbs are the big movers when it comes to mimicking the fasted state. I find with a more ketogenic diet--I'm never far from the sort of edge of euphoric state that some people report with fasting, except that it occurs when I'm a couple of hours past my usual meal time, instead of a day later.