Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   A paleo recipe thread (please contribute) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=266493)

TidalPool Mon, Apr-17-06 16:37

Grilled Chicken Livers

Fluffybear, thanks so much for the chicken livers recipe. It has been hard for me to find them. I've loved them since I was about 4 years old. :D

fluffybear Mon, Apr-17-06 17:20

Believe it or not Weight Watcher's used to sell chicken livers in thier own juice as one of their original frozen dinner entres. I wish they still did.

Lisa N Mon, Apr-17-06 18:21

I've never been a big fan of liver (chicken or otherwise) all by itself, but make it into a wonderful pate' and I'm all over it. Who needs crackers? I'll eat this stuff by the spoonful! :yum:

fluffybear Tue, Apr-18-06 15:54

Canadian Goose Stew

For those of you wondering what to do about all those pesky geese littering up your yard, here is a recipe. LOL Actually I don't even know what the rules are about shooting Canada geese here in the US. I just know I have a LOT in my back yard every day--year round. I thought they were migratory but they have made a home on my pond. Anyway, here is a recipe. If you can't find a Canadian goose, any ol' goose will do. :)

Canada Goose Stew

Recipe:

Soak breasts from four geese overnight in 1/3 C. salt
Sauté 1 large onion, stalk celery in 4 TBS butter for a few minutes.
Carve breasts into 2 in. pieces and sauté in the onion/butter mixture for 10 min. at medium to high heat.
While goose is sautéing, add 2 TBS Worcester Sauce and liberal amount of garlic powder. Also add small amount of hot sauce to taste.
Add 48 oz. can beef consommé (that's the secret) and simmer one hour. During this process, add salt to taste.
Add vegetables ( turnips, carrots, or whatever you like) and simmer at least 30 minutes.

fluffybear Wed, Apr-19-06 08:52

Homemade Mexican Chorizo

I like to scramble this with eggs and jalepeno peppers.

Chorizo

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cloves garlic, mashed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
PREPARATION:

Mash garlic with salt; add remaining ingredients. Mix together and fry until brown.

fluffybear Wed, Apr-19-06 19:44

Bacon Grease Dressing

Bacon Grease Dressing

This makes 1/2 cup liquid.

1/2 cup bacon grease
1 to 2 tablespoons vinegar
Fresh garden lettuce, rinsed
1/3 cup chopped green onions
Crumbled bacon (optional)

Heat bacon grease in saucepan on medium heat. When grease begins to simmer, stir in vinegar to taste. Toss the lettuce and chopped green-tail onions together. Remove grease mixture from heat and serve immediately to the side of the salad. Garnish with crumbled bacon bits, if desired.

Nancy LC Thu, Apr-20-06 06:29

I haven't had bacon dressing in ages, I need to use it again. We used to put a little sugar in it too, splenda would work as well, to give it a sweet/sour tang.

fluffybear Thu, Apr-20-06 06:53

Actually, it called for sugar, but I left that out and thought anyone who wanted a little sweetness could sweeten it however they wished.

fluffybear Mon, Apr-24-06 06:38

Paleo recipe website for newbies

Just wanted to post this for any newbies who haven't seen it yet.

I LOVE this website!

http://paleofood.com/

kallyn Mon, Apr-24-06 23:49

Braised Kale

Not sure if I've posted this before, but I probably make it at least 3 times a week.

Braised Kale (serves 2)
------------
one bunch of kale (any variety), deribbed and chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the minced garlic and sautee briefly. Add the kale, and toss to coat with the oil. Add salt and pepper at this point. After the kale has sauteed for 1-2 minutes, add the chicken stock, cover the pan, and turn the heat down a smidgen. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove the cover, crank up the heat, and let any remaining liquid boil off.

fluffybear Tue, Apr-25-06 14:15

Thanks for the recipe Kallyn

That looks like a good way to use chicken stock. I will try it.

PaleoDeano Fri, Apr-28-06 20:05

Dairy Free Smoothie

Dairy Free Smoothie

6 ice cubes
4 raw egg yolks
1 cup coconut milk
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp nutmeg
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/2 cup berries

blend well and enjoy!

kallyn Fri, Feb-02-07 14:00

BUMPITY BUMP! :D It would be nice to get people posting in here again!

Nancy LC Fri, Feb-02-07 17:49

Coconut Flour Bowl Muffin

Dvancuyk Mon, Feb-05-07 09:11

Jerk Salmon and Fruit Salsa

Hi everyone! First, I wanted to say thanks for the recipes listed in this thread! I just started the Paleo diet and have been looking for different meals to cook! So for my first post I'd like to return the favor. I love the contradiction of tastes in this one.

Salmon filets
1 lb Fruit (I generally use cantelopes, pineapple, honeydew, and strawberries)
8 oz Diced tomatoes
2 oz Vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
fresh chives
fresh Cilantro
Jerk Seasoning

Dice the fruit and chop the cilantro and chives very fine. Mix the chives, cilantro, fruit, honey, vinegar, and lemon juice together and let it sit for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle jerk seasoning very liberally across the tops of the filets and bake for ten minutes in the oven.

To serve, simply top the filets wth the fruit salsa.

Enjoy