Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   PCOS (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Metformin Help (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=307217)

xnikx Mon, Aug-21-06 04:36

Metformin Help

everyone knows the side affects u get for the 1st time when takin metformin, the horrible sick feeling, the stomach cramps and everything else that comes with it

but after the 1st few months its fine u dont notice it any more

i normaly take one with breakfast and one with dinner

but recently, as iv not been eatin dinner i have been takin the 2nd one at lunch instead (as metformin is best taken with food)

and now i hav realy bad sick feelins and stomach cramps, is this the sideaffects startin up again cause i have changed the times i take it??

babe Mon, Aug-21-06 23:42

i find that taking it with food seemed to help. and the side effects have gotten better - but it took abour 3 months.

xnikx Tue, Aug-22-06 01:45

but im tryin to find out if it makes a difrence if u take it at a dif time of day, does it bring back the side afects?

Lisa N Tue, Aug-22-06 05:07

Nicola, it may make a big difference as now you have shortened the amount of time between doses by a significant amount. The reason for your 'sick' feelings may be that there is more of the first dose in your bloodstream when you take the second dose. Ideally, to keep a steady amount of medicine in your body, it needs to be taken a certain number of hours apart.
I'm not sure why you are no longer eating dinner, but you may need to find a way to start again so that you can go back to taking your medicine at the recommended interval. At the very least, I would suggest that you check with your doctor about changing the timing of your medicine.

xnikx Tue, Aug-22-06 07:55

wouldnt it be a benefit though taking it at these new times cause as i feel sick most of the day i wont be eatin as much and there for losin mor weight :p

lollaleelo Fri, Sep-22-06 12:26

I take mine at night before I go to bed. Seems like I sleep through the worst of the symptoms.

lollie22 Thu, Oct-26-06 13:37

new to Metformin

is anyone taking this drug for fertility only...not as a diabetes medicine? New to this forum so any and all replies appreciated :)

xnikx Thu, Oct-26-06 14:02

nope not me, im not takin it for diabetes, or fertility, im takin it to help symptoms of my polycystic ovaries

lollie22 Fri, Oct-27-06 06:09

health coverage-Metformin

i wonder about insurance covering this drug-they have not been responsive to allowing me to get drugs for PCOS alone...

mlk18sHuny Mon, Oct-30-06 17:01

I am taking it for fertility purposes. My doc wanted to start with the Met because most insurances will cover it (according to the Doc) because it is a diabetic drug. I did not have to get it preapproved (like I would for any fertility treatments/drugs), I just filled it like any ol' prescription.

HTH!

lollie22 Tue, Oct-31-06 09:32

coverage

thanks, that is comforting at least and sounds like they might not count it as actual fertility treatment then but I dont have diabetes (yet but they say it can develop as a result of PCos--did yours develop as a result of PCOS?)

I also know that my insurance considers Clomid (pills) the same as an injectible Cycle which I find ridiculous because the injections are $250 per VILE whereas the pills are pennies in comparison-another loophole we should be aware of where others before us have been found taking advantage of the system kinda like car-insurance rates and we all PAY dearly...all THIS on top of infertility is discouraging to say the least

mlk18sHuny Tue, Oct-31-06 09:41

The financial affects of infertility are stressful - I agree.

I'm not diabetic (or pre-diabetic, unless you count insulin resistance as such) either, but the drug is generally a diabetic drug. I don't need to prove to my insurance that I am diabetic to take Met.

lollie22 Wed, Dec-06-06 16:46

Metformin helping pregnancy or fertility?

is anyone taking this drug for fertility and not to lose weitght or for diabetes...you will all HATE ME I know but to be truthful i dont have the weight gain but everything else that goes w. PCOS.

From the side effects I hear I am petrified to start taking Metformin

ricky750 Wed, Dec-06-06 22:50

Does anyone use Metformin in conjunction with a Progesterone birth control pill (like Yasmin), or is it pretty much and either/or thing?

ricky750 Wed, Dec-06-06 22:57

xnikx, did you ever consider that maybe *what* you are eating when you take it can augment these side-effects? The breakdown of your meal protein/carbs/fat, and the kinds thereof? (Example... hi GI carbs provoking an insulin response paired with metformin, an insulin sensitizer... might throw your body for a loop)

just throwing that out there... maybe playing around with different foods could help
(then again, since this is the low-carb forum... that might not be the case) lol