Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Where can I get this stuff ? In Australia! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=80429)

adamst Wed, Jan-15-03 03:19

Where can I get this stuff ? In Australia!

Gday all,

I've been going through a heap of recipes and they look great. One problem though, some of the ingredients I haven't even heard of and the others I'm unsure where to ge them:

Do you know where I can get these in Australia:

Splenda
Pork Rinds (what are these)
Whey Protein
"Just Whites" egg white powder
guar gum (thickener)
xanthan gum

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Adam

jaddles Wed, Jan-15-03 18:57

Hi Adam,

I cant answer all your questions, but I get Splenda from my local Coles - it is with the 'real' sugar, not neccessarily with the other artificial sweeteners. Pork rinds are pig skin deep fried. They sound gross but taste OK!! I get em at Coles in with the Chips etc. I have bought a powdered egg substitute from the healthfood section of supermarkets, dont know if it was just whites though.....

And the rest I have no idea!! :daze:

Cheers - jaddles

ahollowa Wed, Jan-15-03 19:39

Adamst,

You can buy whey protein powder from GNC. You can also buy some online at pictureofhealth.com.au. I just bought the MRM protein power and it is really tasty. I've bought the GNC one in the past and it isn't too bad. I think the MRM stuff is nicer though.

Alison

Rosebud Fri, Jan-17-03 18:13

Hi Adam,

Spenda is usually available in all supermarkets.
I still haven't found pork rinds anywhere. :(
Whey protein, xanthan & guar gums should be available in health food shops.
Not sure about the egg white powder. If you haven't found it in supermarkets, you could try looking for that in health food shops, too.

Cheers, mate.

Roz

jaddles Sun, Jan-19-03 19:21

I went on a 'meat diet' (lasted all of a week - didn't eat any salad or veges the whole time :eek: ) a friend was talking about probably 3-3.5yrs ago and I could get pork rinds at Coles, but I looked the other day and they had been taken off the shelf!! :( :mad: They weren't very nice, but they would be good to cook with...... Was really dissapointed I couldn't get them anymore.

catspaw Mon, Jan-20-03 02:00

While you're looking for Splenda...

When I was in Sydney a few weeks ago I found Splenda tablets at a Coles on a "soon to be discontinued" shelf. You might snatch those up if you run into them, they don't have as many fillers as the packets have, and they are convenient to carry around with you (a plastic dispenser instead of a handful of packets).

Cheers,

Jezebel Thu, Jan-30-03 21:07

Pork rinds in Bris

Hey Rosebud... I have found porkrinds(spicy) at the Stones corner fruit market.. and Action Supermarkets stock Pork Krackles ( they both have MSG, and the pork krackles have hydrolysed veg. protein, both are exitotoxins which I try to avoid... but I tried them both... prok Krackles are very tasty...)