Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   footwear (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=9)

doreen T Tue, Oct-31-00 06:29

Can anybody suggest a good brand and/or style of hiking boot or shoe?? The athletic shoes I buy off the shelf are useless, they are either not sturdy enough to handle rough terrain, or they make my feet burn (I've been told that waterproof footwear is undesirable - the feet can't breathe).

1) My feet are weird - narrow heels, but wide across the toes. Reeboks fit nice and wide for my forefoot, but then the heels are loose, and I get blisters. And all that foam and padding makes my feet sweat and BURN when I walk long distances in them.

2) I have a pair of Rockport walking shoes that I wear "in town", ie, they're great for walking on city streets and paved walkways in the park. They are so comfortable, but not sturdy enough to handle cross-country hiking. Does anybody know if Rockport makes hiking boots?

Webmaster Tue, Oct-31-00 10:59

Hi Doreen,

How about custom designed sneekers? Some online shoe makers have custom templates to fill on line with measurement instructions that you print out and measure your feet on.

Wa'il

doreen T Tue, Oct-31-00 11:43

Actually, custom-made is a good option; there is a shop here in Kingston (Walkwel's on Wellington St, if anyone's interested). I prefer the idea of a professional measuring and fitting my tootsies, and being able to see and feel the materials. Especially since I'd be paying at least $200.

I guess I'm most interested to hear suggestions re: over-all comfort and DURABILITY. I hike through mixed terrain, often wet and squishy, and often slippery (need good traction). I've seen terrific boots, exactly what I want, at Mark's Work Wearhouse, but they're MENS. I have small feet, even if wide. Equivalent to man's size 5, if there is such a thing.

Oh well, just polling for ideas.

thanks, Doreen

r.mines Tue, Oct-31-00 23:16

Hi, Doreen. You might try Ecco shoes/boots. They're not cheap, but they are made to fit narrow in the heel and looser across the front of the foot. I bought some shoes recently, and a friend of mine bought a lovely pair of hiking boots - very lightweight and quite smart looking, but sturdy. They were around $300, though.

Rachel

PS: I don't think you can get a men's five, though you might try a boy's shoe. I seem to have the same problems as you in buying shoes. I was quite pleased to find the Eccos.

doreen T Wed, Nov-01-00 07:11

Thanks Rachel,

Hmm, $300 is steep, BUT worth it in the long run for good quality boots that will probably last a few years. I used to pay over $300 a year for fitness club membership, and hardly used it (the place was SO busy, full of university jocks and skinny girls in pink spandex; I hated being the fat broad waddling on the treadmill). I'll check out some of the better-quality shoe and/or sports shops, maybe they could "special order" for me.

Doreen