Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Tuna 'Bread' (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=458543)

ICanDoThis Tue, Feb-25-14 20:47

Tuna 'Bread'

I'm not sure if this recipe is best for bread or the meat section but I had to write down so I can share it easily with others. It's too simple really to need writing down but...

Another member here shared this recipe with me. I couldn't find it In the recipes but if it has been shared already, I apologize.

Tuna Bread
2 cans tuna (I used one oil, one water because it's what I had), drained
2 large eggs
Italian spices, maybe 1/2 Tbsp?
Greek spices, same measurement
(Spices are whatever kind you like really)

Mix up in a bowl. It will look gross. Spread in a pan. For 2 cans of tuna I spread in a square baking dish after spraying with Pam.

Heat in a 350 degree oven until it's dried all the liquid out of it basically. I never know how long. Then I cut it in 4 square pieces and use it for sandwiches that go well with tuna. Melts, BLTs, egg salad, etc...

My Fitness Pal said with the sandwich above of 2 pieces bread, 1 slice cheese, lettuce, mayo and 3 bacon, only 2 carbs(from the cheese.) it was so yum.

Try it!

msmum1977 Thu, Feb-27-14 12:09

1 Attachment(s)
I made it today thanks to your wonderful suggestion! I baked mine 35 or 40 minutes - not entirely sure as I didn't look at the clock when I first shoved it in the oven. And I only used one can of water packed tuna and one egg. I baked mine on a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and added just a bit of chopped green onion and lots of pepper in it. Then made a BLC (bacon, cheese, lettuce) sammy. I attached a pic - it made two decent slices of thinish bread. I also let it cool a good ten minutes before I picked it up off the sheet! Delish! :yum:

ICanDoThis Thu, Feb-27-14 12:52

Isn't it good? Kind of like having a crab cake or something, only drier. I'm making more today.

chinacat Thu, Feb-27-14 13:05

I am going to try this!!!!
Cannot wait, thanks so much for sharing :D

msmum1977 Thu, Feb-27-14 17:50

the dryness/heartiness surprised me, but in a good way. It held up really well to the filling.

Going to do some more experimenting this weekend!

ICanDoThis Thu, Mar-27-14 12:17

Making some now. Wonder if throwing in a bit of bacon fat/grease would totally take away the taste of tuna. Gonna try today.

DeannaK Thu, Mar-27-14 12:22

Hey Kris -
This stuff is awesome! Fills a need for sure.

I posted somewhere in response to someone that I tried it with canned chicken breast...cans are larger so I used 2 eggs but the result was the same...and a bit milder than the tuna.

ICanDoThis Thu, Mar-27-14 12:29

Well in theory, chicken should work as well. I'm thinking it's like the cauliflower pizza 'dough' because you cook that long enough to get the liquid out. I'll have to try the chicken. Tuna is just what I have on hand...

DeannaK Thu, Mar-27-14 12:47

I did the chicken since I had run out of tuna that day.

The cauliflower dough is really mild, virtually no taste except for what seasonings you might use. I also think it is more "delicate" where the chicken/tuna bread has a bit more "oompf" and holds together way better.

Gonna have to get up and make some now!!

Rosebud Mon, May-12-14 23:03

This looks so fascinating that I must try it! But I have a question first - what size are your cans of tuna? Ours come in multiple sizes. Thanks.

DeannaK Tue, May-13-14 05:45

Hey Rosebud -

I use 1 egg to a small can of tuna...for the chicken breast, I know that is like a 12 oz can and I use 2 eggs.

The last batch I did, was the 12oz can of chicken, 2 eggs, some dehydrated onion (just a tad) and a sprinkle (very small) of crushed red pepper.

I eat it hot with butter or sometimes melted cheese. Today, I'm eyeballing the fresh tomatoes in the window. HMMMM, maybe a slice of tomato and a bit of cheese broiled??? Sounds like lunch!

Good luck -
Deanna

Rosebud Tue, May-13-14 18:44

Thanks, Deanna.

See, the small size here is 100 grams - that's only 3 ounces or so, so my lunch today is going to be two small cans with one eggs, and maybe some herbs, then top with some cheese and some bacon.

I'll try to post a pic of the result. :)

And thanks again, ICanDoThis for the recipe. :thup:

Rosebud Tue, May-13-14 21:57

No picture - I was too busy enjoying it!

I was a bit wary at first, but after the first mouthful decided this will join our regular rotation of meals.

It was a bit much for me, so I, reluctantly, shared with Mr Rosebud who demanded to know why I hadn't made him one. Well, there was the fact he was eating a bowl of nasty p*st* that he had cooked himself (I have been refusing to buy or prepare such garbage for years now). ;)

ICanDoThis Wed, May-14-14 00:38

Glad you enjoyed the bread! My cans of tuna run 5-6 oz and I do 1 egg to that size. I havent made the bread in awhile. Must make again.

CalebD Fri, Jun-27-14 21:59

Thank you for sharing this OP. I'd never thought of trying this myself. It sounds like it would work really well with any lean meat if it's been working with chicken breast and tuna, might be even better with ground turkey breast. Once I get access to a kitchen again I'll be trying this.
I'll be looking up that cauliflower dough process, thought I don't know that I like the idea of it in general