Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   So far, so good. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=403319)

Cathy B. Sat, Oct-31-09 12:38

So far, so good.

Just finished my first week on Schwarzbein. So far, so good. I dropped 4 pounds. And my morning fasting blood glucose readings for the week, in order, are: 234, 224, 226, 204, 208, 200, 195.

I am seeing a definite downward trend, so that is very encouraging. Also, I am starting to feel better. I didn't feel too well the first week, probably due to detoxing from the caffeine and sugar. But the past 2 days, I started feeling much better.

Stay tuned!

Cathy

amandawald Sun, Nov-01-09 10:26

That's great news!!!

I am doing fine on Schwarzbein, too, although I am going for the gradual tapering-off of caffeine - I'm now down to a 50/50 mix and hope I won't feel too groggy over the next few days...

amanda

pmezak Sun, Nov-01-09 13:20

I am interested in how people are tapering from caffeine. I am drinking black tea instead of coffee, but I am afraid of the migraines I get when I skip the caffeine altogether. I would like to go to green tea next, but I just don't like it. I am at about 2 cups of black tea in the morning now. It doesn't seem like much, but the headaches can be the kind that make me nauseous....

Cathy B. Sun, Nov-01-09 14:03

I combined decaf with regular and kept changing the ratio, starting with just a little decaf, mostly regular, adding a little more decaf each day and a little less regular. I didn't have any withdrawal that way. Eventually got to straight decaf.

Cathy

Cathy B. Sun, Nov-01-09 14:05

Of course, I am talking about coffee above. If it were tea, I guess I would have to make a cup of earl grey with caf and a cup of earl gray decaf and do as above.

amandawald Sun, Nov-01-09 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmezak
I am interested in how people are tapering from caffeine. I am drinking black tea instead of coffee, but I am afraid of the migraines I get when I skip the caffeine altogether. I would like to go to green tea next, but I just don't like it. I am at about 2 cups of black tea in the morning now. It doesn't seem like much, but the headaches can be the kind that make me nauseous....

I'm doing it real slow... September: 75% caffeine to 25% decaf; October was 66% caffeinated to 33% decaf; November is 50:50. I switched from 75% caffeinated to 50% in July or early August and was so fatigued that I was barely functional... I switched back to 75% caffeinated and it was like a switch had been thrown!!! Over the summer, when I was on holiday in the UK with my family, I just had normal coffee so I had to start all over again when we came back...

But the lesson I learnt was that my caffeine dependency was pretty high and that if I wanted to go off caffeine, I needed to do it slowly, otherwise I would crash again. This time I haven't had - so far at least - any of these major episodes of fatigue, so I'm hoping that scaling down from 66% caffeine to 50% caffeine won't be a major shock to my system!!!

I have noticed that I am no longer so caffeine dependent because I can now function on two cups of Earl Grey tea for a lot longer in the morning than I used to.

Sorry about hijacking your journal for this, CathyB, hope you don't mind!

amanda