Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Some Basic Principles of Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=244975)

BawdyWench Mon, Apr-18-05 12:00

Some Basic Principles of Protein Power

I'm always astounded when people complain that PP is so hard to follow, and there's so much counting. Huh? Then I came to realize that much of the problem stems from the calculations the authors put in to figure lean body weight and minimum protein requirement. It's really too bad they put those in the first book. They really throw people off. The calculations are good, but some people can't handle the math.

In their second book, Protein Power Lifeplan, they give a simple chart where you find your current weight along the left and then follow over to find your height across the top. Where they intersect is your MINIMUM protein requirement per meal. The numbers in the second book are more liberal than in the first book, so you are assured of getting plenty of protein.

If anyone out there does not have the second book and wants to know their minimum requirement, just ask and I'll look it up for you.

After that calculation, the PP plan is so easy it's ridiculous. I have the hardcover book, so I won't include page references. The following is all taken from Chapter 10, "Putting It All Together: Designing Your Food Plan."

Let's say your minimum protein requirement turns out to be 40 grams per meal. Here are examples of 40 grams of protein:
  • 6 ounces of meat, fish, poultry
  • 3 whole eggs plus 6 egg whites (this is why eggs are not a terrifically good source of protein -- you need to eat so many of them!)
  • 2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites, 2 ounces of meat (like bacon or ham)
  • 1 1/2 cups curd cheese (like cottage cheese) -- be careful, though, cottage cheese can be high in carbs
  • 5 ounces of meat plus 1 ounce of hard cheese (like cheddar)
  • 5 ounces of meat plus 2 ounces of soft cheese (like philly)
In that chapter are charts and more charts of examples of "equivalents." Remember that you can have 7 to 10 grams of carbs per meal (7 if you want snacks throughout the day, 10 if you prefer to go without snacks).

Here are some examples of veggies with 10 carbs (have a bit less to get 7 carbs):
  • Asparagas, 20 spears
  • Broccoli, unlimited
  • Cabbage, 2 cups
  • Carrots, 2 medium
  • Cauliflower, 4 cups
  • Corn, 1/4 cup
  • Green beans, 1 cup
  • Mushrooms, unlimited
  • Onions, 3/4 cup
  • Peas, 1/2 cup
Note that these counts are for RAW veggies. When you cook them, they cook down a bit and so the carb count goes up. (You can fit more veggie in a cup measure after cooking . . . get it?)

Chapter 10 provides a wealth of information.

So, the only thing you have to count (after determining your minimum protein requirement) is carbs. Just make sure you're getting at least 40 grams of protein per meal, and 7 to 10 carbs. When you learn the portion sizes of the veggies you like, it's simple to put together meals.

Read Chapter 10. It's truly very simple. They even give you snack ideas that combine protein and a few carbs.

Gailew Mon, Apr-18-05 12:39

What about female, 5'6", 180 lbs? And what is the name of the second book? I thought for sure I had bought a book from a 2nd hand store, and was looking forward to reading it, and now it's gone. I think the library got a donation :q: anyway, I'm going to read some from that forum and see if it's for me. Thanks! :) -Gail

BawdyWench Mon, Apr-18-05 14:40

The title of the second book is "Protein Power Lifeplan."

At 5'6" and 180 pounds, your MINIMUM protein requirement per meal would be 34 grams. That's equivalent to about 5 ounces of meat, fish, or poultry.

acohn Mon, Apr-18-05 14:56

Although the charts make things simple, they can also cause people to be rigid. As long as I'm not wildly disproportionate in divvying up my protein, I don't worry about the per-meal targets.

Your body maintains a three-day supply of amino acids, so getting a 10% too little one day or 10% too much the next won't really hurt things.

WendyOH Mon, Apr-18-05 16:07

Bawdy, this post is such a great idea! I just thought that I would add that I shoot for 120g protein per day minimum, and 60g carbs (b/c I am maintaining).

Gailew Mon, Apr-18-05 16:15

Thank you. This is very interesting. I've been on a liver cleanse, elimination diet. I drink a protein drink 3 times a day that has 22 grams of protein in it and just called this morning and told them it isn't enough. I'm losing energy and getting a little weak after 5 days. Just two more to go and I'm done with this! So I'm adding an extra serving for today and tomorrow which brings me up to 88 plus nuts, however much that comes to. I'm really looking forward to eating some quality protein again! I'm going to get that book from the library and see if it's one I want to buy. I believe it's the one I had here that somehow disappeared on me.
Do you mind telling me the main differences between PP and Atkins? In a nutshell? Thanks. Gail

WendyOH Mon, Apr-18-05 16:23

Atkins is more restrictive in the beginning, only allowing 20g carbs per day. Protein Power allows 30g. Protein Power is concerned with eating your minimum amount of protein per day, and using fat as needed. Atkins tends to be a higher fat plan, especially at first with the lower amount of carbs, and not so concerned with a particular protein amount. Other than that, the two plans are very similar.

Karen Mon, Apr-18-05 18:30

Quote:
In their second book, Protein Power Lifeplan, they give a simple chart where you find your current weight along the left and then follow over to find your height across the top. Where they intersect is your MINIMUM protein requirement per meal. The numbers in the second book are more liberal than in the first book, so you are assured of getting plenty of protein.
If you divide your body weight by 5.2, I think that gives you the protein requirement grams per meal. I just use 6, because it seems simpler. :)

Karen

Gailew Mon, Apr-18-05 22:02

Ok, I re-read the stickys for PP and think I'm pretty much doing that now. I eat a lot of protein, and feel the difference when I don't. I don't limit salads and veggies, and completely avoid grains. We like fruit around here, more than Atkins would like for the weight loss phase. I'm thinking I need to lower calorie intake to resume losing weight, but I really don't count anything but carbs and just estimate that. I think I'm around 35-40 carbs a day, & less fat than when I started Atkins. This feels like how I want to eat from now on. So, where do I sign up? :) I requested the book from the library, and probably will buy a copy soon, but this feels right to me.-Gail

BawdyWench Tue, Apr-19-05 02:30

Sounds like you've already signed up where it counts. Good luck!

lillylou Thu, Apr-21-05 23:13

question

I am seriously thinking about switching over. I plan to buy the book. Could you tell me in the meantime what my requirement would be to lose another 10 lbs. I am 5'10 and 147 right now.

Thanks in advance, Bawdy!

lillylou Thu, Apr-21-05 23:16

is it 10 carbs per meal for everybody ? is there a difference between maintenance and losing? Is my protein requirement lower when trying to lose? Sorry for all the questions. I promise to buy the book!

BawdyWench Fri, Apr-22-05 01:58

Lilly, there's no way anyone can tell you how much/little to eat to lose 10 more pounds. At 5'10" and 147 pounds, your minimum protein requirement is 34 grams per meal.

PP has two levels for carbs: approximately 30 and 50. It's the authors' recommendation to divide the carbs evenly throughout the day. Your mileage may vary.

Did that help at all? Reading the book is best.

Shiphrah Fri, Apr-22-05 06:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I'm always astounded when people complain that PP is so hard to follow, and there's so much counting. Huh? Then I came to realize that much of the problem stems from the calculations the authors put in to figure lean body weight and minimum protein requirement. It's really too bad they put those in the first book. They really throw people off. The calculations are good, but some people can't handle the math.

My reaction to the book was, "OMG, I need an advanced degree in algebra to figure this out!" :lol:

I really liked the basic principles and the scientific explanations, so based on what I COULD figure out from the book and some other nutritional facts I know, I came up with my own numbers (120g protein, no more than 30g carbs) and it seems to be working.

I really wish that part of the book made more sense though!

WendyOH Fri, Apr-22-05 21:25

Lillylou-Are you certain that you still need to lose weight? At 5'10" and 147 lb, you weigh about the same as me, and are 3 inches taller. Your BMI is 21, which is on the low range of healthy. Although BMI is not always the most accurate measure of desirable weight, it does give a good idea for many people. While you must decide what is best for you, if you find yourself "stuck" for awhile, it might be your body telling you that it has found its ideal weight. Many people on lowcarbing find themselves weighing more than they have in the past but fitting into smaller sizes. Just something you might want to consider. Good luck!