Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Sugar-free Sweets & Treats vs. Long Term Success (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460243)

khrussva Wed, May-14-14 11:36

Sugar-free Sweets & Treats vs. Long Term Success

Question: For long term success in maintaining a low-carb forever lifestyle, is it better to avoid dabbling in low(er)-carb treats that mimic the sweets I once craved, or is it better to expand my low-carb horizons to include more variety and keep things a little more interesting?

I know there is a lot of personal preference in the answer to this question, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts, especially from those of you who have lost a lot of weight and have kept it off. Since I was recently diagnosed as a diabetic, I'd be interested to hear a diabetics perspective on this issue.

For the first 100 days of my low-carb lifestyle conversion, I've pretty much stuck to the basics: Meats, cheese, eggs, LC veggies, some dairy and some nuts. I've avoided most things that would be considered sweets or treats and I have not tried making anything that would try to imitate the versatility of bread or a wrap. I have been able to stay on track 100% but admit that the diet is on the boring side.

The exception: Diet soda. I can't seem to do just water & coffee. We have a Sodastream machine and like some of their LC flavors (diet pink grapefruit, LC strawberry energy drink, diet lemonade, etc.). I even enjoy the bite of cold soda water with a few drops of lemon or lime juice. This treat has proved to be a help and not a hindrance as plain H2O just was not cutting it in the first few weeks.

Recently, my daughter has joined me in a low carb diet. She, however, dove into the recipe pages of this site and is wanting us to include some of these 'LC treats' that I had been avoiding. So far, we've done sugar free Jello with sugar free whipping cream -- and last night, we made a LC cheesecake. I had a 4 carb serving for breakfast this morning and it was really good. Perhaps too good. While it did not set off a sugar craving and I seem to remain in full control of my appetite today, I do see the potential pitfall of having more of it than I should for continued weight loss.

So I ask for your wisdom and experience... Am I creeping into an area that I should not go -- or -- is my daughter right in thinking that we need to make this diet a little more interesting?

Sereen Wed, May-14-14 12:09

I lost 130lbs once before on low fat, restricted calories. I kept it off for a number of years (six years) until I got pregnant.
My body changed (as in - cannot STAND low fat and must eat meat whereas I could take it or leave it before) and I'm doing low carb/mod fat/mod protein now, but I maintain the same mindset with "treats" now as I did then.
I do not find replacement treats at all helpful. I find I still crave the real thing and am only reminded that the imposter is NOT the real thing.
I find it easier to build in a "cheat" meal every few months (which I still have not done this time around - since 3/25/2014) since I've not felt terribly deprived. Mentally, I find it easier to eat the real thing in moderation and savor it than to try to kid myself by eating the imposter food.
All of this philosophy fits into my hunger driven eating/intuitive eating training as well.

As you stated, I am certain that others will ring in with what works for them.
I hope you find what works successfully for you. :)

Luckyk26 Wed, May-14-14 13:00

I personally have always liked something sweet after dinner. In the beginning I had 1 sugar free piece of candy (Russel Stover and Whitmans make pretty good ones) every day. After awhile I just started not even wanting them. Now my go to sweet is strawberries and whipped cream. It worked for me in the beginning - helped me feel less deprived I guess.

ojoj Wed, May-14-14 13:10

I dont have anything sweet. I very occasionally have an atkins bar - the last time was at christmas and in the summer, I do have berries occasionally, but I dont ever want to become a sugar addict again - the stuff is evil to me!!

Jo xxx

lovinita Wed, May-14-14 13:28

Right now, I am doing something I never wanted to do. I am eating Sugar Free Jello. The Jello Brand. It is recommended by Dr R Berstein in his plan.

I make up a batch and then I freeze it in 8 popcicle things. And eat those. I try to avoid them as they do cause some of an insulin spike but not nearly the same as normal sugar.

But Right now I have no choice. It helps me, so I am using it.

I started this to help me loose weight again because of the ravenous hunger I was having. Even though I was overeating, I was maintaining weight. So I started doing this to break my last 2 month stall, so I wouldn't overeat in calories.

I also make below for my birthday or holiday now

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/nobake...cheesecake.html

is awesome. But I will say eating it does set me up for wanting more of the cheesecake. Atleast it is low carb.

But the Chemical Pleasure that it does in my head/senses I winde up wanting to eat the whole thing. While I don't eat it in one sitting. I also, am aware, when I do make it to limit my meal time calories more cause I know how I will be with wanting a bigger slice.

I will say be careful, sugar free doesn't really mean sugar free in most instances. They are just using a different form of "sugar" still has just as many carbs as norm sugar.

For me I found testing my own blood sugar, sugar alcohol and normal sugar my body reacts just the same. No difference, So I tend to stay away from any processed desserts claiming sugar free (like bars, ice cream, cookies, jelly, syrups). My rule is if it lists carbs regardless of what type then it has carbs my body will react too...

Also what the powder form of various sugar free blends look at the carbs.

My philosophy is I don't trust anything that says Sugar Free. I look at the ingredients and the carb totals.. And invariably always winde up laughing and then getting pissed off that these people are allow to claim something as sugar free.

LaughLola Wed, May-14-14 13:31

Every time I go to the grocery store I look at LC sweets and debate whether to buy them. I've decided not too so far because of my love affair with sweets. I miss them less and less as time passes.

I even quit having sugar less gum because of the carb contents.
I really miss chewing gum though. Anyone know of a no-carb brand option?

Nancy LC Wed, May-14-14 13:33

Quote:
Question: For long term success in maintaining a low-carb forever lifestyle, is it better to avoid dabbling in low(er)-carb treats that mimic the sweets I once craved, or is it better to expand my low-carb horizons to include more variety and keep things a little more interesting?

Everyone has to find their own path. I made a lot of treats, like LC cheesecake, at first. Now they are very rare. Your tastes will change over time.

However, IMHO, it is FAR better to have an LC treat than the real thing.

Luckyk26 Wed, May-14-14 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughLola

I even quit having sugar less gum because of the carb contents.
I really miss chewing gum though. Anyone know of a no-carb brand option?

I can't go without my gum, but haven't found a no carb brand yet either. I usually have the Wrigley's React2 or React5 sugarless. Says 2 carbs for 1 piece - I only chew 1/2 a piece at a time. Saves a little bit that way.

erinleigh Wed, May-14-14 14:56

At this point I don't even think about the sweets cause I find having LC version are things I would prefer!

LC Chocolate Mousse and crustless cheesecake etc and best having strawberries with cream! YUMMERS!

DeannaK Wed, May-14-14 15:44

I did several LC things...cheesecake, this awesome pumpkin cheesecake in the beginning, jello/cream, custards...now, for me, it is also a once in a while thing.

If I MUST have something, I have several single serving recipes that I like...in a pinch, a little cream cheese, softened and a sprinkle of equal or splenda.

In the beginning, it may just help you break free but I would recommend sticking to stuff you make - not the ones you buy - as it is much easier to KNOW what's in it and not any weird chemicals.

Deanna

khrussva Sat, May-17-14 08:51

Thank you for your thoughts on this issue. It seems that some of us have that 1 thing we need to keep around that gives us that "sweet" in our diet. For some it is SF gum, for me it is diet soda. Also - it does not sound like dabbling in LC sweet treats is a clear cut diet killer, either. The cheesecake we had this past week was good, but it didn't seem to throw me off either. At the end of the day, I didn't really need it. It didn't really satisfy any craving and didn't create one either. Carb count was a little high for the serving size. For me, I think I'll keep such "treats" few and far between. I can eat better things for the same carbs.

Having my daughter join me in low carb eating has resulted in me trying new things and spending more time making new recipies (some sweet and some not). That is a good thing and makes the diet more interesting. But I think the effort is better spent making my regular food taste better -- and don't get too caught up in adding deserts to our diet.

Maori Sat, May-17-14 09:13

SF Davinci has been up there with eggs as a staple. Only have it with my morning and evening decaf coffee but oh it really take care of my sweet taste buds.

sexym2 Sat, May-17-14 11:27

I used to make sugar free/LC options but I found I still over eat them. I no longer even try to reproduce LC sweets. I do chew sugar free gum, I don't worry about those few carbs, I chew 2 pieces at a time but only hew gum once every few days.

Eat for our health and to nourish or bodies, not for our taste buds.

ICanDoThis Sat, May-17-14 12:49

I know for me personally, the other times I've tried to low carb when I delved into making my favs into lc foods (ie: lc brownies, lc breads & cookies) I got off track, cravings were out of control and I lost the battle. This time I'm doing lc I have made cheesecake a couple times although mines different (cream cheese, sf lemon jello, vanilla) and I've eaten some Sweet Freedom fudge ice cream bars (2 1/2 c or bar). I seem to do okay with those. But if it's baked, I'm not going to make it through.

I hope you find the balance that works for you...