Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jane Brody shares weight loss secrets (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479263)

WereBear Wed, Mar-07-18 20:51

Jane Brody shares weight loss secrets

For those unaware, Jane Brody of the New York Times is one of the most reliable repeaters of “common nutritional wisdom” out there.

So you can imagine what her weight loss secrets are, can’t you?

Quote:
I eat everything I want, in moderation. My meals — mostly homemade — are heavily loaded with vegetables, and I choose calorie-controlled snacks like popcorn at 35 calories a cup, a graham cracker at 59 calories for two squares, and ice cream (really ice milk) at 100 to 150 calories a half cup. No seconds!

My weight maintenance secrets are simple: I read nutrition labels before I buy anything in a package, I practice portion control, and I exercise and weigh myself every day to stay within a two-pound range appropriate for my height. If the number on the scale begins to creep up, I may walk, bike or swim a little more and eat a little less for a few days.

So damn simple people! Why can’t all of us do this? It is truly baffling. We must be stupid and lazy.

My sarcasm for Jane Brody knows no bounds. She has solved the obesity crisis. We can all go home now.

Quote:
I don’t count calories, but I have a working knowledge of the approximate calories in nearly everything I eat. If you need to lose weight, I urge you to download a comprehensive calorie chart of common foods to help you make substitutions that will cut about 500 calories from your daily diet. You can do the same with an exercise chart, keeping in mind that the caloric cost of any activity depends on how strenuously you do it and how much you weigh.
She, like me, endorses Michael Pollan’s diet mantra: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”

I really have been struggling with an urge to do some science fiction device on Jane Brody where I take her smug self-righteous self and transfer it into a body like mine, for which all this oh so “sensible and simple” advice doesn’t work.

When I was twenty I knew every calorie in any food which crossed my radar. I rode my bike an hour a day. And by afternoon, I was tired and screaming hungry. Smack-around-a-Jane-Brody-in-effigy hangry.

And people like her would chirp that it was so easy.

Jane Brody’s Personal Secrets to Lasting Weight Loss

Ms Arielle Wed, Mar-07-18 22:48

My mother was a big follower of Jane Brody back in the 70's. My mother jumped from one diet to another hoping to drop those extra pounds. And I just gained and gained.......

I hear the same smug crap from my brother. Or those that in a conversation, say everything in moderation, to be friendly. Frustrates me to no end.

Clearly Ms. Brody is out of touch.

Grav Wed, Mar-07-18 23:24

Every time I see threads like this, all I can think of to offer is a reaction gif:

Squarecube Thu, Mar-08-18 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
snip
My sarcasm for Jane Brody knows no bounds. She has solved the obesity crisis. We can all go home now.

She left out the part of her taking Statins, cuz high the cholesterol that she couldn't control with her sh*&ty diet, and her joints are replaced I believe.

I saw a TV show yesterday called "my 600 lb weight loss". Jeez. OK I admitted it it; er um, I find you can listen to this kind of crap if you don't really watch, just do "sumptin" else and watch from the side of your eyes - however, like Hoarders, after about 2 commercials you'll be running to turn the radio back on. Anyway, these very obese folk are lying in bed eating yogurt with jam in it. They don't even tear the foil lid completely away, and of course it's a plastic disposable spoon. OK, I know i'm a snot, but please eat at a table and use real plates, etc. There was a 1000 lb kid who limited himself to only one fast food meal a day, (somewhat Brody-like) At this size and weight, its all very sad.

WereBear Thu, Mar-08-18 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
She left out the part of her taking Statins, cuz high the cholesterol that she couldn't control with her sh*&ty diet, and her joints are replaced I believe.

What the !?!?!

Oh, right, that diet sounds so good. /s

M Levac Thu, Mar-08-18 12:21

It's gonna blow up in her face. Is she a professional writer or a personal blogger? Can't mix the two. Is she relating to us the results of an experiment or is she writing from memory? She can't possibly support - in this case, confirm - her professional opinion by citing her personal experience. Maybe she's writing a diet book and this is just the prelude?

On the other hand, is it just me or does it sound pretty much like a typical low-carb story, in the first few paragraphs at least? I.e. "it's not a diet, it's a way to live". Oh, sneaky sneaky Jane. It's almost the same, except something's missing from her story - she didn't read a diet book, like most of us, i.e. Atkins most of the time. Even me, I read GCBC, figured it all out (not really "all" but enough to get a rough clear picture), then Atkins, went with that, then did my own thing. Isn't Jane smart, she did it all on her own, figured it all out by herself, didn't read a book or anything. Wait, I thought the single most indicative characteristic - stereotypical even - of smart people is that they read books!

I like this:
Quote:
Ms. Divinagracia said, “I don’t believe in diets or any particular products. I believe in learning how to create a healthy lifestyle, and the formula is simple.” The most salient points of her well-practiced advice are these: 1) Stop eating crap, 2) Eat good food that is real, not processed, 3) Avoid drinking your calories, 4) Know what one serving is and do not eat more than that in a sitting, 5) Move your butt every day — even just walking is better than being a couch potato, and 6) Stop making excuses.

It's subtle, but you'll see it's so obvious. What kind of calories do we drink? Carbs. What kind of processed foods do we eat? Carbs. What kind of fake foods do we eat? Carbs. What kind of crap do we eat? Carbs. OK, so it's the Low-Carb-Diet-We-Can't-Call-Low-Carb. I'm OK with that. Too much stigma attached to the term low-carb. Let people do this for a while, let them see success finally, let them enjoy life for a change, then, maybe, point out it's low-carb.

Welcome to the dark side, Jane.

deirdra Thu, Mar-08-18 17:15

Apparently Jane has had both knees replaced, was never more than 40 lbs overweight, and takes statins and probably drugs for her osteoporosis since she follows conventional "wisdom". I suspect it was all her plant/grain/carb eating and avoidance of animal products that wore out her joints and raised her cholesterol. She has probably never been insulin resistant or had other metabolic problems like the rest of us. I followed her dogma in the 1980s and just got hungrier & fatter. I just looked up the full title of that book: Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way; I remembered the first half, but the last half explains why it failed me.

WereBear Fri, Mar-09-18 04:11

It sounds so persuasive. Except it didn't work, over and over.

But that must be MY fault :)

teaser Fri, Mar-09-18 11:03

Quote:
She also urges closer attention to add-ons and condiments. “A beef patty has definite food value but after adding a large bun, dressing and extra cheese, the total calories (535) will far exceed the caloric content of the meat, pickle and tomato (240),” she wrote, adding that using butter, margarine or mayonnaise on a sandwich adds far more calories than mustard.

Basically an admission that low carb works given in the form of a rebuttal. :lol:

WereBear Fri, Mar-09-18 14:26

On a board where a people talk about the genetic condition we all deal with, I shared some of the dramatic good results I have gotten from low carb and supplements.

Wouldn't you know it, a "Jane Brody clone" showed up, telling me I should eat a "healthy balanced diet" and that will supply all the nutrients I could possibly need.

It's a good thing it's not possible to smack the back of a head over the Internet.

Bonnie OFS Sat, Mar-10-18 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I just looked up the full title of that book: Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way; I remembered the first half, but the last half explains why it failed me.

I used to have that book! Don't know if I made any of her recipes, but I'm pretty sure I got rid of the book when I was clearing out a lot of books. If it turns out it's still lurking in a box somewhere, I'll toss it on the bonfire. :D

Ms Arielle Sat, Mar-10-18 19:35

Quote:
On a board where a people talk about the genetic condition we all deal with, I shared some of the dramatic good results I have gotten from low carb and supplements.

Wouldn't you know it, a "Jane Brody clone" showed up, telling me I should eat a "healthy balanced diet" and that will supply all the nutrients I could possibly need.

It's a good thing it's not possible to smack the back of a head over the Internet.

I had such an experience, but it was a nurse that shouted me down. Ironically many others on that thread also lived LC but kept quiet. Told me privately via pm.

I just live here where it is safe. :D

Now I am wondering where my Jane Brody book is.......

cotonpal Sat, Mar-10-18 19:48

Jane Brody once lived on my book shelf too but she's long gone. I must have gotten rid of her during one of my many moves.

Jean

WereBear Sun, Mar-11-18 05:26

Quote:
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. ~Mark Twain

Any of us who has had success with low carb eating knows that when people observe a dramatic weight loss, or we share our improved health markers, or walk around without a cane, people want to know how we did it.

But most of the time, they can't do it. Because they have been told what we did was not possible. So even though we are standing in front of them, having done it, they are held back.

GRB5111 Sun, Mar-11-18 09:09

Quote:
Any of us who has had success with low carb eating knows that when people observe a dramatic weight loss, or we share our improved health markers, or walk around without a cane, people want to know how we did it.

But most of the time, they can't do it. Because they have been told what we did was not possible. So even though we are standing in front of them, having done it, they are held back.

So true, and this is why people are programmed to believe LC is not sustainable, LDL is the bad cholesterol, keto is dangerous and can cause kidney damage, and T2 diabetes is a lifelong chronic disease that one must manage with pharmaceuticals and, eventually, insulin injections until death. Misinformation, particularly from those thought of as "experts," is extremely dangerous and oftentimes fatal, as it forms perceptions that are self-defeating and cause people to resign themselves to accepting these limiting "facts."