Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Salads Veggies & Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   stuffed jalepenos (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=303057)

lynchmel Thu, Jul-13-06 11:14

stuffed jalepenos

Hi. I'm new here. I have been so inspired reading everyone's recipes, I thought I would share a recipe my boyfriend made this last New Year's Day.

10 fresh jalepenos
8 ounces of cream cheese (cold)
1 lb sugar free raw bacon
toothpicks

Halve jalepeno peppers and remove seeds. Slice cheese and insert into jalepeno halves. Wrap each pepper half with bacon. Put on foil lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until bacon starts to brown and crisp.

I use toothpicks inserted into the top of the wrapped peppers to help keep the bacon in place. My boyfriend cuts the bacon in half, but I use a whole slice of bacon, because I use the largest peppers I can find! Also, the cream cheese is easier work with if it is cold. Hope you like.

ginyer Thu, Jul-13-06 20:26

Hi,
I love this recipe...tried something very simlar recently...but I had never really worked with the jalapenos before...before it was over, my fingers were burning, then the side of my face was burning...I couldn't believe it. Anyway, most people probably would know to be careful or maybe I just very senstive skin, but either way, a great recipe!

LadyBelle Fri, Jul-14-06 06:01

ginyer- Get some of those powder free latex, or non latex, gloves from your local pharmacy. That helps you from getting the oil into your face and skin. Alton Brown claims the reason he can't wear contacts is he tried putting them in a whole day after he messed with the jalapenos and still managed to really burn his eye. Last time I made fajitas I scratched my nose and had a burning under nose for evening.

ginyer Fri, Jul-14-06 06:18

Lady,

That's a great idea...you know, I didn't want to sound like a complete wuss, but my fingers tips were still burning the next day...what a dummy I was. And let me tell you, it was a good thing I didn't have my contacts in that day...wooo!

Anita

ddaniels Mon, Jul-31-06 01:11

This sounds yummy! Does the bacon actually get crispy? Roughly how long do you usually cook them?

I must have skin made from asbestos, because I've never had any trouble handling jalepnos. I slice 'em or chop 'em or scoop 'em or whatever my recipe calls for just using my bare hands and I've never felt the stinging or burning that people talk about.

One thing I have noticed, though, is if I chop them using my little food processor and then take the lid off the processor right away, the jalepenos fumes really attack me!

lynchmel Tue, Aug-01-06 05:45

I usually cook them for 20 minutes or so. Alot of the baking time depends on the thickness of your bacon and how much you have put on the peppers. Also, you can hurry up the process by broiling the peppers for a few minutes after the bacon is cooked, if it seems to be taking too long. I usually cook them several hours before I need them and then just reheat them in the microwave or oven. The heat from the peppers do not bother me much either.

ddaniels Tue, Aug-01-06 06:01

Thanks for the info.!

bioteclady Tue, Aug-01-06 10:01

I have made those before and they are awesome. But yes, wear gloves or scrub your hands very well. I generally rub my eyes and then I am in trouble.

I saw an alternative that is really fun as well.

Do not cut them in half, but slit them open and pull out the seeds. We generally make a T type cut....with the top of the t being by the stem.

Stuff the pepper full of grated mexican cheese. Wrap in bacon and put a toothpick in.

You can bake or fry in the fry pan, or even throw them on the grill. But have you heat high so you cook them up quickly before the cheese melts out. They are really yummy.

I stole this idea off food network one day. I just love that show. :)

BBQman Tue, Aug-08-06 09:55

That sounds like my recipe I posted before. You can check it out here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...imageuser=52934

Bad pic I know.

ddaniels Tue, Aug-08-06 12:57

Yum, those look great!!!! ( Although a bit more time intensive than the recipe in this thread.) The addition of the pulled pork and barbecue seasoning sounds really good.

BBQgal Tue, Aug-08-06 13:17

This recipe makes me wish I was not allergic to dairy
I wish I could try this recipe

Annie

LadyBelle Tue, Aug-08-06 17:57

If you are allergic to dairy they have soy based cream cheese. There is also some coconut cream y ou can buy that is as thick as cream cheese.

Lisa N Tue, Aug-08-06 18:38

It seems that there are several variations of this type of recipe floating around. I recently saw one almost identical to BBQman's in our local paper (same name, too, which I found funny...must be my twisted sense of humor) but it called for a liberal sprinkling of BBQ rub over the bacon before smoking or baking. The cream cheese stuffing had other additions as well.
I have eczema on my hands and made the mistake of not wearing gloves the last time I made these...never again. My hands burned for 2 days and no amount of washing helped. Could be worse, though...I've heard stories of certain....er....southern regions being badly affected by unwashed pepper hands. :help:
Now I wear latex gloves and have no problems with burning skin. :thup:

Jessica Fri, Aug-11-06 10:13

These are fantastic. A quicker way to do it is instead of wrapping in raw bacon, you can roll the cream cheese filled side in store bought bacon pieces (already cooked and crumbled) and then bake. I think they are just as yummy this way and you don't have to wait for the bacon to cook.

klc145 Fri, Aug-11-06 11:19

Sometimes instead of putting bacon on top, I mix in some Fiesta Ranch dry dressing mix with the cream cheese. About 1T for every 8 ounces of cheese and then stuff the jalepenos with that.

:yum: :yum: