Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Lemon Curd -- Low carb and low calorie (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=265911)

theoldlady Wed, Sep-28-05 07:50

Thank You!

:wiggle::clap::yay::rheart::bhug::thup: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :thup::bhug::rheart::yay::clap::wiggle:

Nancy! You ANGEL! I've been missing lemon curd since I cracked my first copy of DANDR. I made this on Monday, and it is spot on perfect. I can't thank you enough, really. Even dh likes it, and he's not lc, but the more carbs I can get out of his diet, the better.

<wanders off muttering about trying to make a perfect biscuit without soy or PHO>

Nancy LC Wed, Sep-28-05 08:37

Horray! Glad you are enjoying it. I know I can't stand to be without it now. I'm buying 3 dozen eggs a week now. :D

Oh yes, I'm going to try making Mocha Curd sometime too. Num, num! I guess really I should call that a pudding or something.

Lessara Wed, Jun-07-06 10:44

As for the cocoa and not cream, I made some using melted butter and cocoa, had to add alittle more sweetner but yummy!!

stacianbob Tue, Apr-10-07 07:35

Just wanted to add my two cents here: you can use any sweetener you like, because the sweetener doesn't lend any thickening properties. It is the eggs that thicken it, the yolks actually. Also, I like to use my lemon curd as a cake and pie filling. One year for my birthday I made an Atkinds pie crust, filled it with a double recipe of lemon curd, topped it with raspberries and then served it with whipped cream. It was really good!

Stacey

Nancy LC Tue, Apr-10-07 16:06

I recently made Lime curd. Super good!

Also, for a quick dessert pick up some frozen raspberries (unsweetened) and serve them on top of the curd (still frozen is fine!).

For those of you who haven't read the entire thread, you don't need to use polydextrose. I never use it any longer. I also add a little lemon extract. It gives it an extra dimension of lemoniness.

I haven't really had any successes with chocolate curd. Every time I try it it comes out kind of bumpy, as if it were curdling. I can't figure out why since I cook it to the same temperature.

Well, next time I make it perhaps I'll use all chocolate bar (low sugar sort) cut with some coconut milk, premelted and stir it into the vanilla curd.

Nancy LC Wed, Jul-13-11 08:11

Over the years my technique for making lemon curd has gotten much simpler.

I now make much bigger portions of it. I use 6-8 eggs, 1/4-1/3 cup of lemon juice, and Splenda (liquid or dry), optionally some vanilla extract or vanilla da vinci. I taste it to get the right amount of sweetness before cooking, however, make it a little sweeter than you want it because cooking always makes things less sweet, IMHO.

I use my sous vide system to cook it. 20 minutes at 165 seems to work fine. However, one can do it on the stovetop as well.