Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Seaweed Crisps (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471932)

Robin120 Sat, Feb-06-16 10:13

Seaweed Crisps

I buy both the Annie Chun's brand in Giant, and the whole foods brand at WF.
Nutrition is identical- 50 calories per bag, 2 net carbs plus fiber, and 2 protein.

Wasabi is my favorite, but I also like the terriyaki that WF comes in. They are also sold in sesame and seasalt.

I LOVE these, and munch through a bag probably 5 days a week. I never liked chips, but i love grazing on these, and think if a person misses "munching" these are great!
Seaweed is also a very healthy but under consumed food for westerners.

*sometimes i add creamcheese, pickled ginger and smoked salmon to make little "sushi roll" snacks.

bluesinger Sat, Feb-06-16 11:37

I absolutely love the brand I use, too. This is what I learned about myself, tho: For a while, I ate 2 or 3 packages a day, usually before bedtime. Then I hit a patch where I didn't crave it at all, so I stopped eating it.

Since many people are iodine deficient, I wonder if that was the case with me?

Anyway, they're still great. I looked at recipes for making them myself and just gave up that idea. :lol:

Verbena Sat, Feb-06-16 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I absolutely love the brand I use, too. This is what I learned about myself, tho: For a while, I ate 2 or 3 packages a day, usually before bedtime. Then I hit a patch where I didn't crave it at all, so I stopped eating it.

Since many people are iodine deficient, I wonder if that was the case with me?

Anyway, they're still great. I looked at recipes for making them myself and just gave up that idea. :lol:

Why? It looks easy enough. I bought a package once from TJ's, but disliked how greasy they were. Tasted good, but I felt the need to wash my hands before touching anything else - not good for "on the go" snacking. I forgot about them after that, but might try making my own, and adjusting the grease factor.

bluesinger Sat, Feb-06-16 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Why? It looks easy enough. I bought a package once from TJ's, but disliked how greasy they were. Tasted good, but I felt the need to wash my hands before touching anything else - not good for "on the go" snacking. I forgot about them after that, but might try making my own, and adjusting the grease factor.
Hmmm. The brand I use (JayOne, bought by the case from Sam's Club) aren't greasy at all. Maybe the brand makes a diff?

Verbena Sat, Feb-06-16 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Hmmm. The brand I use (JayOne, bought by the case from Sam's Club) aren't greasy at all. Maybe the brand makes a diff?

Maybe that's the case. I've only tried the one brand - TJ's

doreen T Sun, Feb-07-16 12:14

Mmmmmm :yum: .. I love these! Sesame, wasabi, garlic, red chilis, plain .. all good. Right now is a good time to stock up, as it's Chinese New Year season, and many stores have them on sale.

Kung Hei Fat Choi everybody :Party: :dazzle:

IheartRoxy Sat, Nov-04-17 11:02

I love these as well~ My favorite flavor is sesame because I love the taste and smell of sesame seed oil so much. I mainly eat them at work, but try to hide them because I feel most people will think I'm weird for eating seaweed. :lol:

Meme#1 Sat, Nov-04-17 11:05

Add to that a bag of pork rinds and that will really make them wonder!

Verbena Sat, Nov-04-17 11:52

My Korean sister in law used to crisp up pieces of nori (over the flame on her gas stove), and give them to my nephew as a snack. He loved them, and would always beg for more. The kid grew up on kimchi, rice, and crispy nori!

Robin120 Sun, Mar-11-18 05:53

I've also fallen for the halo brand in bbq (but wish package wasn't half the size of most other brands) and the WF siracha!

Love the idea to add Kim chi to these..... I have been meaning to try to make a Korean rice bowl using cauli. The seaweed snacks would work well with some Kim chi, a steamed egg, etc...

walnut Tue, Mar-20-18 07:42

if you're picky about the types of fat that you eat, it's super easy to make your own seaweed snacks with sheets of nori.

not sure why the previous poster thought it's hard to do? i burn kale chips whenever i try to make them in the oven but the seaweed snacks always turn out just fine. :)

i make ours similar to this https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/239575/nori-chips/