Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Cholesterol, Heart Disease (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   bluu's blood test results (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=24501)

bluugirl Wed, Oct-31-01 14:35

bluu's blood test results

Ok so i finally got the results faxed to me, i've been anxiously waiting for 1 week!

Here are my lipid/glucose levels :

Date: 17-OCT-2000 (weight ~ 180lb)
cholesterol: 157 (normal 130 - 200)
triglyceride: 249 (normal 30-150) *yikes high*
HDL: 27 (normal 40-90) *low*
LDL: 80 (normal < 130)
Glucose: 89 (normal 65-115)

CHOL/HDL Ratio: 5.8 (normal 3.8-5.7) *high*

Date: 18-OCT-2001 (weight ~ 155lb)
cholesterol: 162
triglyceride: 68
HDL: 47
LDL: 101
Glucose: 76

Chol/HDL Ratio: 3.4 *low*

:roll: I'm all smiles. :roll:

Here's some more on my thyroids (which my doctor didn't bother to mention - unfortunately i didn't take this test last year )

He took a TSH Thyroid test and it came out low 0.03 (range is 0.35-5.50)!! that sounds very low. Will this affect weight loss? why didn't he tell me about this. I think i'll have to increase my knowledge on this thyroid test.

My Thyroxine level was fine 1.48 (whatever this is lol)

Here's another funny thing:
Electrolytes:

POTASSIUM: 4.1 in 2000, 5.4 *high* in 2001 (range is 3.5-5.3)
I don't take a potassium supplement though.

SODIUM: 143 in 2000, 142 in 2001.

I would love any feedback especially on the thyroid thing..thnx

Natrushka Wed, Oct-31-01 14:44

Bluu, wtg on those results!! :D

I had mine done last month and my only "off" result was my thyroid too, unfortunately mine was high, (6.3) indicating an underactive thyroid. There's some great info on thyroid function here I found it useful. Will your doctor be doing any further tests?

Nat

bluugirl Wed, Oct-31-01 14:49

Thanks Nat! I added glucose levels too :) .. i will check the thyroid link. So you're saying i have an Overactive thyroid.? i'm a really non-hyper person lol.. (if thyroid has anything to do with hyper-ness)
thanks again :) :)

oh and my doctor is h.i.s.t.o.r.y. He's probably still amazed by my tiglycerides lolllll- he's given me hardly any personal feedback, and did not even mention the TSH results or anything.

doreen T Wed, Oct-31-01 15:09

Just a quickie note on thyroid. TSH stands for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, and is produced in the pituitary gland. When our thyroid gland is underactive, not producing enough thyroid hormone ... the pituitary will pump out more TSH in order to stimulate the thryoid into action. If the thryoid gland is overactive, producing too much thryoxine (the major thyroid hormone, also called T4) ... then the pituitary will shut down the production of TSH, and blood levels will drop. So:

- high TSH means low thyroid function
- low TSH means high thyroid function

Low TSH can be a temporary condition, due to infection or inflammation of some kind. Unless you are symptomatic ... racing pulse, hyperactive, bulging eyes, high blood pressure, etc ... I'd say it's not to worry about, and have it checked again in 6 months time. It's the trends that tell the picture, and not just one blood sample.

Doreen

bluugirl Wed, Oct-31-01 15:24

thanks doreen. i was looking at the link Nat sent - i feel that i have more of the HYPO-symptoms which is contradictory to the TSH result. I don't have heart palpitations, and i definitely have a very hard time losing weight lol.
i'll do the test in 6 months - and a more complete one too. :)