Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Advanced/High Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Finding out Skinny doesn't = Fit (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=407682)

absinthian Mon, Feb-08-10 16:19

Finding out Skinny doesn't = Fit

I've had 3 interesting conversations this past week:

#1. Was talking to my mom on the phone and she mentioned some event was about 13 miles away; I asked if she rode her bike, she laughed and said she isn't as fit as I am. She is about a size 8.

#2. Was chatting w/ a guy at a get together and mentioned I occassionally do 50+ mile bike rides. He said, "You're in a whole other class, when you do more than 50 miles at a time."

#3. Was talking w/ an acquaintence and she mentioned she should get her bike out again; she's about a size 6. So I invited her to ride w/ me. She laughed and said she could never keep up w/ me; she'd never even rode 10 miles!

I think I have always associated being fat with being unfit, and by my logic then all skinny people are fit. I guess it's not always the case that fat equates with being unfit; I'm still very fat, so I find it weird for skinny people to say I am more fit than them.

Anybody else underestimating their actual fitness level?

robmedina Tue, Feb-09-10 06:03

Yup. I am a "big guy" 5'10" 227lbs. I am a distance runner. I would be on a job site and would need to walk up stairs in a building- Some of the skinny guys would be huffing and puffing and I would be talking as normal. I LOVE that!

jschwab Tue, Feb-09-10 18:22

I am a distance runner, too. Having my ass beat at races by women weighing at least 100 pounds more than me (and I am already 100 pounds overweight) totally put that theory to rest for me. I regularly beat people who train well and "look like runners". I beat a skinny trainer from my gym :D who'd been training with seasoned competitive runners at a race earlier this year.

Skinny definitely does not equal fit.

angorabbit Tue, Mar-09-10 12:57

Not on the fitness front, but my aunt who has ALWAYS been skinny (I'd say between 120-135) has had high blood pressure issues since she turned 40.

Granted, I'm 23, but at 250 pounds, my blood pressure is perfect, I'm not even pre-diabetic and my cholesterol is fine.

I'd say skinny doesn't always equal healthy either.

Jennyjuice Sat, May-15-10 14:13

I understand that one forsure! I work as an instructor in a gym and I have ppl that "look" fit come into my class and they kinda look me over, with doubt on what I can do or teach them. They catch on fast though when they are huffing and ready to hurl , I'm up there feeling great and smiling! It's victory for us " chubbies" being fit has no figure I think .

Sparklxx Sun, May-30-10 15:29

Thin most definitely does not mean fit. When I was a size 0 I was the weakest little thing LOL. I could barely do a push up. At 173 I was sooo strong just a bit too "thick" for my 5'10 frame. Now I'm trying to trim down and maintain or increase my strength.