Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Uk Sweetex Tablets! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=406367)

LittlemeLC Fri, Jan-15-10 19:47

Uk Sweetex Tablets!

theyre small tablets that you can drop into liquids to make them taste sweet... on the back it saysss

Nutritional information per 100g : Typical values: Energy value KJ trace, trace. Kcal (calories) trace, trace. Protein. Carbohydrate. Fat Trace, trace.

INGREDIENTS
Sweetener (Sodium Saccharin), Anticaking Agents (Silicon Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate).

hm?!! even to 100grams of the stuff *the whole containers only like 20 grams* theres just a teeny trace of carb... good? bad?

Rosebud Sat, Jan-16-10 15:49

If you check your Atkins book, you'll see he says saccharin is an acceptable sweetener to use. I personally avoid it because I find the taste so bleh, but for those who find it acceptable, yes, it's perfectly okay. :)

LittlemeLC Sat, Jan-16-10 16:50

would i be able to use quite a fair few of these? they would go amazing in my black tea... i have quite a few cups!!!

Thomas1492 Sat, Jan-16-10 18:17

Saccharin was the first mass produced sweetener here in the U.S. I remember back in 73 my next door neighbor was diabetic and she kept a bottle of these on her kitchen table ..they looked like aspirin tablets.She let me try one and they were nasty :Puke: didn't taste like sugar to me,,of course I was 7 :hyper: ...they fell out of favor in the 80's because there was a widely publicized study where they fed saccharin to lab rats and they developed brain cancer..but later it was shown that the amount they gave them would have equaled a human eating almost a pound of saccharin a day,but by that time the media damage had been done and every one ESPECIALLY COCA-COLA switched to ASPARTAME,what a wonderful move that was huh??????(sarcasm intended) :lol:

Shyvas Sat, Jan-16-10 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlemeLC
theyre small tablets that you can drop into liquids to make them taste sweet... on the back it saysss

Nutritional information per 100g : Typical values: Energy value KJ trace, trace. Kcal (calories) trace, trace. Protein. Carbohydrate. Fat Trace, trace.

INGREDIENTS
Sweetener (Sodium Saccharin), Anticaking Agents (Silicon Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate).

hm?!! even to 100grams of the stuff *the whole containers only like 20 grams* theres just a teeny trace of carb... good? bad?

Here is the list of sweetners permitted in the UK :

Sweetex also contains aspartame which isn't beneficial if you're dieting. Sacharin also has an awful salty aftertaste.

Sweeteners currently permitted for use in food in the UK are:

Saccharin Natrena, Saxin, Hermesetas tablets, Hermesetas and Sweetex liquid.
Aspartame Canderel, Flix and Shapers tablets, Canderel, Shapers powder.
Acesulfame K Hermesetas Gold tablets, Diamin powder.
Thaumatin Incorporated into many manufactured foods.

Some sweeteners are combinations, eg Sweetex powder is a mixture of aspartame and saccharin.

To avoid exceeding the acceptable daily intake of any sweetener it is recommended that you should vary the type of sweetener used. Use as little artificial sweetener as possible.

I have started using stevia which doesn't mess up your insulin and has a pleasant sweet taste. It really is worth the price and you can also use it for baking.

You can get it online from the following link as it is not available in the UK as it still illigal to sell it.

http://www.iherb.com/NuNaturals-NuS...-98-g/4891?at=0

Elizellen Sun, Jan-17-10 04:46

I think Sweetex must have two different formulas, one with aspartame and one without, as the ones I have seen don't have aspartame.
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...etener/11269011

LittlemeLC Sun, Jan-17-10 07:02

heu elizenen, yes those are the same tablets i am talking about... what does everyhting think?! ahhh! i still dont understand why they are bad (weight wise) if they have zero carb in the whole 100g... im not one to be triggerd into going on a sugar bindge.

Elizellen Sun, Jan-17-10 15:19

It is not the carbs in them (there will be a little carb as they say 'trace' instead of zero) but the number of sweetener servings you might use, thinking of them as being a 'free food'.

In DANDR we are recommended to use only 3 servings of sweetener a day.

Marla B Tue, Jan-19-10 13:50

Quote:

INGREDIENTS

Yup they're fine. 0 carbs (the tablets). I however don't like the taste of Sweetex so I've switched to Natreen. Much better taste! :thup:

Marla B Tue, Jan-19-10 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
In DANDR we are recommended to use only 3 servings of sweetener a day.

Powdered sweeteners because they contain sugar alcohol fillers, which contain carbs.

A saccharin tablet is 0g.

LittlemeLC Wed, Jan-20-10 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla B
Powdered sweeteners because they contain sugar alcohol fillers, which contain carbs.

A saccharin tablet is 0g.

so does this mean maybe i can have a few more? :P

Marla B Wed, Jan-20-10 12:25

Quote:
so does this mean maybe i can have a few more? :P

If it helps you to stay on your path, yes, go ahead :thup: That's of course assuming you're not planning to take one container a day ;) Keep in mind it's still a chemically lab manufactured product which usually means not so healthy, but, as I said, if it helps you to get to a healthy weight AND stay there I prefer to look at the upside :thup:

LittlemeLC Wed, Jan-20-10 21:22

ahh yeah! haha i one quite take the container :p but i do like a fair few... i like to dissolve them in a teeny bit of hot water so its almost liquid sweetner to put into cooking too!!

Elizellen Thu, Jan-21-10 15:02

The problem I see in posts around the boards I frequent is that if you allow yourself lots of sweet foods/drinks you might never lose the cravings for sweet stuff.

Also there is a theory that some people's body react to artificial sweeteners in the same way as to sugar meaning their insulin goes weird! Search for 'cephalic response' to get the science about it.

RCFletcher Fri, Jan-22-10 06:18

I use sweetex which I carry in my pocket (yes it is saccharin but I don't mind it). I use a cheaper sweetener from lidls at home which contains cyclamate and for cooking I use a cheap one from ASDA which is based on Sucralose (the same as Splenda). My idea is to not get too much of any of them! I try to never use canderel as many peple have issues with it.