Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Karen's Corner (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Thank You, Karen (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=269742)

cmcole Wed, Oct-12-05 06:04

Thank You, Karen

Finally used my "Chapters" gift card and bought your cookbook. Had been wanting to for quite some time, but kept forgetting the card at home. Wish I was still on the West coast and I could bring it for you to autograph :)

Love the breakfast porridge. Reminds me of "Red River Cereal" that I had growing up. With the fall weather upon us in this Province, it really hits the spot in the morning - comfort food personified!!

Obviously, proofreaders and editors are imperfect, but I am thinking that the "effective carbs" and "carbs" counts are interchanged in the Upside-Down Goat Cheese Souffle Recipe.

Can't wait to try out so many more of the recipes. As my hubby would say, it is like "real" food - not just some kind of wierd low carb concoction. :D

zorra_1 Fri, Oct-14-05 15:17

I'll second that!!

I just received the cookbook in the mail today. I've been waiting since September to get it from Amazon. There are so many great looking recipes in there and a bunch of nice helpful hints from an experienced low carber.

Thanks again!

Nakkira Fri, Oct-14-05 16:43

Do you think Karen be mad if you posted the porridge recipe? I LOVE porridge and have been craving it since it's getting cooler out.
I promise to pick up a copy of her book when I can scrape together enough money. I've been wanting her books for a while now.

Karen Sat, Oct-15-05 17:29

Yep! :) Not only because it's me, but we make every attempt to avoid copyright infringement on the forum.

Karen

Karen Sat, Oct-15-05 17:30

Quote:
Can't wait to try out so many more of the recipes. As my hubby would say, it is like "real" food - not just some kind of wierd low carb concoction.
Thanks! I feel the same way about it.

Karen

Nakkira Sat, Oct-15-05 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
Yep! :) Not only because it's me, but we make every attempt to avoid copyright infringement on the forum.

Karen

Woops, sorry! I wasn't sure if you had posted other recipes before. Boy do I feel silly now.

I know what I'm gonna ask my parents to buy me for Christmas tho! :lol:

cmcole Mon, Oct-17-05 11:39

The porridge helped me survive a weekend in the woods with the Army just this past weekend. Since I had access to hot water, all I had to take was my metal cup and spoon, and the cereal in a plastic bag. It was great to have breakfast that wasn't the "traditional" dehydrated or vacuum sealed stuff we are usually fed in the field. I added cinnamon to my mixture, because I happen to like that flavour, but other than that - it's the greatest, and it keeps me going for the morning.

I also used it as a "spring board" and put together a baggie with TVP and spices as a substitute for the rice that comes with one of the IMP's (vacuum bags of food). One of them is actually a salmon fillet, which is tolerable, but it comes with rice or mashed potatoes (which you add water to rehydrate). So, I thought my solution was better, and I knew what was going into my system.

It's the best investment I've made in a long time. I can't wait until we aren't training some weekend soon (I think I have the weekend off the end of October), so I can try some of the other recipes. Those nori crackers sound awesome, and a number of other things I can't remember off-hand, but have flagged to try.

Again, I thank you for your inventiveness and willingness to take the time to share it in written format.

cdwilli1 Wed, Nov-16-05 14:14

As a very dedicated cook I entered the low-carb regime with some serious trepidation. After a week of microwaved veg as a side dish, I wondered how long I could keep up the diet. Then I found THE BOOK! I have made about 1/3 of the main course and veg recipes in from Low Carb Gourmet so far. All I can say is: Wow! As my wife said, we have not eaten so well every day!

If you like good food and a low-carb life style then you need this book.

Thanks for putting it together Karen - great work!