Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   A paleo recipe thread (please contribute) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=266493)

Nelson Mon, Apr-23-07 15:55

Trader Joe's was carrying unsweetened dried bing cherries last time I looked. (I love their dried montmorency cherries, but those are sweetened.) If they are out of the bings, I'll try unsulphered apricots. The brown color will be fine in the brown almond bread.

I also think this recipe might work with crushed pineapple and/or coconute flakes.

Nancy LC Mon, Apr-23-07 16:10

Really? I'll have to check out the cherries at TJ's. I guess I figured there was no way they'd be unsweetened, so didn't bother looking.

Mrs. Skip Fri, Apr-27-07 17:44

ProteusOne, I tried your Paleomeatloaf...yummm! I did make a few minor changes, so here is how I made it:

2 lbs. grass-fed beef
2 onions, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup ground nuts (I used walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds)
2 tsp. sage
1 t black pepper
2 t sea salt
3 eggs

Mix ingredients together well. Place in an olive-oiled loaf pan (use two if pan is small) and bake for about an hour at 350.

Nobody in my family even missed the breadcrumbs, or noticed the nuts in the meatloaf!!! They just said, "This is good, can I have another piece?"

This will definitely be added to my best low-carb recipes. Where did you find this recipe, or did you invent it?

ProteusOne Fri, Apr-27-07 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skip
This will definitely be added to my best low-carb recipes. Where did you find this recipe, or did you invent it?

Hey, glad you took off with this recipe! Your version sounds great. Me, I just made it up kinda on the spot. I hardly ever use a real recipe.

Your addition of sage is intriguing. Hmm, makes me want to make a sausage meatloaf or something... I'll get back with that. :)

Nelson Mon, Apr-30-07 14:04

pork marinade

Almost effortless and tasted dandy!

3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
3 Tbls honey
1 Tbls water

Rinse the sauce off the chilies, slice them open and remove the seeds. Then finely chop the chilies and mix with the honey and water.

Brown 2-3 pork chops in hot oil, brush liberally with the honey-chili mixture and bake uncovered at 350 for about 25 minutes. Check frequently to make sure the honey isn't scorching.

This made a great replacement for the bottled marinades that are so convenient to use but full of corn syrup and other inedible stuff.

I like this marinade well enough to take the rest of the chilies out of the can and store them in a jar of honey for future use.

kallyn Mon, Apr-30-07 14:08

Sounds great Nelson! When I saw the ingredients, my first instinct was to blend them all together in the food processor and use it as a marinade. I may try that sometime and report back. :) *love those chipotle peppers...*

ProteusOne Mon, Apr-30-07 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Rinse the sauce off the chilies...

I hope you saved the sauce from those chilies for another use! That's some good eatin'!

Nancy LC Thu, May-03-07 12:26

Easy Dry Curry Chicken -- 5 minutes to prepare, 45 to cook.

Get a cut up chicken Season both sides of all pieces with:
Garlic powder
Onion Powder
Turmeric
Curry Powder
Salt
Pepper

Put into a roasting pan and roast for 45 min at 375.

Super yummy and oh so easy.

Eos Mon, May-07-07 16:25

Caucasian hashlama
36 oz. mutton fillets (may replace with pork)
5-6 large tomatoes
2 eggplants
3 sweet peppers
Salt, chili powder, khmeli-suneli to taste
2tbsp tallow (can be olive oil)
5 garlic cloves
Cilantro, parsley

1. In a pot with thick bottom melt down tallow and then put in layers: cut into rings tomatoes, sweet pepper, eggplant cubes, then chopped in big chunks mutton fillets. Add salt and spices.
2. Repeat the layers.
3. Stew until mutton doneness, without stirring. Tomatoes will be juicing, so the dish won’t burn.
4. When done, switch off, stir the ingredients, add garlic and many greens (cilantro for sure).

Can also cook Caucasian chahohbili. May post it here, if interested.

Eos Mon, May-07-07 16:37

I often lacto-ferment vegetables (white and red cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, radish, garlic), below e.g. is one of my preferred ways to ferment white cabbage:

Fermented cabbage in Peter the Great’s style
87 oz. white cabbage
2 carrots
2 large onion heads
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
2.5 tbsp salt
3.5 oz vinegar
2 pcs. sucralose (or other sweetener)

1. For pickle solution boil 1L water with salt and sweetener.
2. Shred the cabbage, grate carrot, onion – in half rings, mince garlic cloves.
3. Stir all the ingredients, put in a jar or a pot, and pour into olive oil, vinegar and hot pickle solution.
4. Put press on top (I use another jar filed with water), place into fridge. Due in 3 days (to tell the truth, my relatives start to steal cabbage already the next day).

Comment: May skip or lessen sweeteners if prefer sour taste (tho the it's not the Peter's))

kallyn Tue, May-08-07 22:11

date mustard

DATE MUSTARD
---------------
adapted from a book I got from the library called The Philosopher's Kitchen

1/2 cup dates (remove the pits)
2/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp salt
2 Tbl prepared mustard (not the bright yellow stuff, please)

blend everything together in the food processor
pour into a small saucepan and heat gently over low-medium heat and let it bubble for about 10 min
serve warm (although cold is ok for leftovers)

This goes great with chicken, especially if you marinate it in a little white wine vinegar/olive oil/celery seed. I imagine you could dip anything in it though (even vegetables), or even thin it with a little water and use it as a marinade.

Nancy LC Wed, May-09-07 09:50

Oooh, mustard sauce! I'll have to try this, although it is pretty sugary for my purposes.

My sister and I make mustard a lot, it is a sweet, hot mustard that is awesome with poultry and pork. It makes the nose run, the eyes tear and is SO awesome!

1 Cup of vinegar (I use apple cider, original recipe called for malt but I can't have that now since it contains gluten)
The equivalent of 1 cup of sugar (I use splenda but I'm sure you could find something more paleo)
2 oz of mustard flour (They sell Coleman's in 2 oz cans, or you can probably find it in bulk at a HFS)
3 eggs

Combine all the ingredients with whisk and cook in a double boiler, whisking, until it reaches 160' and starts to get thick.
Put in a container and store it in the fridge.

Nelson Wed, May-09-07 11:49

coconut flour

I have bought some coconut flour and downloaded a bunch of baking recipes to try, but I don't really know what to expect. Can someone with experience baking with CF describe the texture you get? I find almond flour makes a moist, heavy, grainy bread, reminiscent of cornbread. Is coconut flour lighter? Heavier? More or less cake-like?

Nancy LC Wed, May-09-07 12:55

Well, oddly enough when I made my bowl muffin with just CF it often comes out with a very cake like consistency. But when I've made muffins or cookies, it comes out extremely dense and crumbly. I suspect it has to do with how much liquid I use. I tend to use a lot of liquid in my bowl muffin and CF absorbs liquid like crazy.

Nelson Wed, May-09-07 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Well, oddly enough when I made my bowl muffin with just CF it often comes out with a very cake like consistency. But when I've made muffins or cookies, it comes out extremely dense and crumbly. I suspect it has to do with how much liquid I use. I tend to use a lot of liquid in my bowl muffin and CF absorbs liquid like crazy.

I'll remember that. I almost always end up tweaking any recipe a little, so I will be inclined to add more moisture. Also, I use honey more often than artificial sweeteners, and it is supposed to make the finished produce more moist.

By the way, have you ever calculated the numbers for one of your bowl muffins? You know, calories/carbs/protein, etc?