Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   It was the meter all along (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478385)

cotonpal Sat, Oct-07-17 14:22

It was the meter all along

For a long time now I have been frustrated. My bg's were averaging much to high for someone on a low carb diet whose last HbA1C was 4.9. I had stopped measuring for many months because it was all just too frustrating. I consistently keep my daily net carbs below 25 and I just didn't want to go any lower since at this carb level my micronutrients were stellar. I had been using a Nova Max meter which measures bg's and ketones, with the ketone strips about half the price of the strips for the Precision Ultra meter. Recently I did some research and found that the Bayer Contour Next was the most accurate meter according to one source and, amazingly, the strips are relatively cheap and it connects to my Iphone (no ketones of course). I bought it and got to try it out today. It reads 10 points lower than my nova max. If this pans out over time it means that my average bg is around 90 which is a lot better than somewhat over 100. Eureka!

Jean

Liz53 Sat, Oct-07-17 21:17

I had the same problem with the NovaMax. As soon as I abandoned it and went to a True Result, my high glucose normalized. And much of my angst over higher than expected readings evaporated.

Then the True Result was recalled and for quite a while I've been looking for a new meter and strips. Thanks for the confirmation that the Bayer, which is on my list, is well rated. It may be time to order it.

cotonpal Sun, Oct-08-17 03:18

This morning:
Nova Max FBG 92
Contour Next FBG 86

Seems to be holding true, I say go for it Liz and I like the Iphone connection.

Jean

Liz53 Sun, Oct-08-17 08:08

Yes, the iPhone connection is a plus. I've never done that, never thought I needed it, but really, why not if it's so easily available?

thud123 Sun, Oct-08-17 08:24

Cool guys! I think with all these mobile computers we carry around the future is bright for some pretty accurate and easy self monitoring. I suppose there are two sides to this but hopefully we can take advantage of the ones that are helpful.

Liz53 Sun, Oct-08-17 08:49

I read somewhere that Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, was checking his glucose on his new iWatch 3. I've wondered if the watch actually monitors blood sugar or if it just receives messages from the phone and/or meter. I've seen nothing about it in the advertising and I'm guessing it is just the latter.

walnut Sun, Oct-08-17 10:14

you should be able to get a little bottle of control solution so that you can check your meter to make sure it's titrated properly. maybe ask at the pharmacy?