Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Green Giant Mashed Cauliflower and Other New Veggie Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476468)

CarolynC Sun, Feb-19-17 17:33

Green Giant Mashed Cauliflower and Other New Veggie Products

I had the new Green Giant Original with Olive Oil & Sea Salt Mashed Cauliflower for dinner and it was quite good, especially with added butter. Not as good as what I would make myself with cream (as opposed to milk) but easier and great for a quick meal. For a one-half cup serving, it as 80 calories, 7 g carbs and 2 g fiber for 5 net carbs.

According to the Green Giant website, there are also cheddar/bacon and garlic/herb flavors, but I didn't see these at my local supermarket. Plus, Green Giant has a variety of new riced vegetables and roasted vegetables. There's a $1 off coupon at there website.

JEY100 Mon, Feb-20-17 06:17

The fresh riced one is called caulifower crumbles.
http://greengiantfresh.com/cauliflower-crumbles
Our Walmart grocery has it, and Hanover mashed vegetables. https://hanoverfoods.com/blog/produ...ower-homestyle/
Birdseye supposedly also has similar products in some markets.
Amazing the variety in mainstream markets now! The Trader Joe's riced broccoli is good for variety.

Robin120 Mon, Feb-20-17 09:30

Thanks, Carolyn. I have been eyeing the mashed cauli to have in the freezer for when life is crazy or it snows or what have you....

I have had the green giant frozen riced cauli and loved it, but I normally buy the Hanover one if the store has both in stock (they fly off the shelf!. They taste the same but Hanover makes a perfect meal just for myself and my husband. The green giant bag is twice as large and better for a family IMO.

I am making a bag tonight, in fact (shrimp "fried rice"). :lol:

CarolynC Mon, Feb-20-17 17:49

The Green Giant riced cauliflower mixes that I was referring to aren't called "Crumbles" but "Riced Veggies." Just going by the online pictures, they look finer and more rice-like than the Crumbles. There are 4 flavors. See:

https://www.greengiant.com/new-products/#riced-veggies

I haven't seen them at my local store yet.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page that I linked, there's a $1 off coupon for the new products.

JEY100 Tue, Feb-21-17 02:59

Thanks, That is a good selection of frozen riced vegetables...I haven't seen them either, and not all stores have the fresh Green Giant line.

CarolynC Tue, Feb-21-17 11:36

You're welcome!

I just saw the Green Giant riced veggies at my local Publix. They had the cauliflower/broccoli (which I purchased) and the cauliflower/vegetable medley. There were also the new vegetable tots, which I didn't purchase. No sign of the roasted vegetables yet. There was a small display with a $1 off coupon on new Green Giant products.

There was also Bird's Eye riced cauliflower (one flavor only), which I'd never noticed before. I got that. too. Without a coupon, it's the same price as the Green Giant riced cauliflower mixes but the Bird's Eye has 2 oz. more in the package.

I've never seen Hanover vegetables around here.

CarolynC Fri, Mar-03-17 06:07

I tried the Green Giant bacon/cheddar mashed cauliflower. I like it but prefer their olive oil/sea salt mashed cauliflower. The bacon/cheddar didn't add much flavor (most flavor came from the butter that I added) and it wasn't as thick as the olive oil/sea salt variety. The bacon/cheddar instructions had a longer microwave and sitting time, but it still didn't thicken as much as the olive oil/sea salt.

Bonnie OFS Fri, Mar-17-17 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
According to the Green Giant website, there are also cheddar/bacon and garlic/herb flavors, b

I think this was the variety someone brought to a pot luck. I didn't care for it. My now-favorite way to cook cauliflower is sautéed in garlic butter. Yummy & quick. :yum:

Meme#1 Fri, Mar-17-17 14:46

Great thread and I'm going to look for some now.
I see fried rice in my future!

ferrygirl Fri, Mar-17-17 16:11

This is so cool!

~Jealous in Japan

Robin120 Sat, Mar-18-17 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Great thread and I'm going to look for some now.
I see fried rice in my future!

Since my store starting carrying this, we have been doing fried rice a couple times a month :lol:
I had made it by hand in past, but it was such a pain, it was a once in a blue moon treat.

Meme#1 Sat, Mar-18-17 12:59

Hi Robin~ Yes, 1/2 of the work is always in the prep so this mix must be a real time saver. :thup:

Kristine Sat, Mar-18-17 14:33

I just sent a message to Green Giant Canada requesting that they bring these products to Canada. It'll probably never happen, but it's worth a try, I guess.

I wash dishes by hand so the one time I made riced cauliflower years ago (even when I DID have a dishwasher) was pretty much the first and last time. I wasn't impressed enough for the effort, but if I could buy it, I would. :thup:

CarolynC Sun, Mar-19-17 07:44

I haven't tried the Green Giant riced cauliflower/broccoli that I purchased yet. But, I have tried the Bird's Eye riced cauliflower. It's very good. I had it as a side dish with roast beef and it was almost like regular rice. It has a nice rice consistency and the cauliflower flavor is mild.

I made riced cauliflower myself only once, about 10 years ago. I didn't accomplish a good rice shape and it wasn't worth the clean-up effort, so I never did it again.

I found Hanover mashed cauliflower at Walmart. I like it, too. The package has half the amount of the Green Giant mashed cauliflower (2 servings vs. 4 servings) and was about 40% of the price. I live alone, so the smaller size is better for me.