Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Bawdy's Cheesecake (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=224312)

BawdyWench Thu, Nov-24-05 04:52

Aci, about the soggy crust. I know with the pumpkin pie recipe I use, you put the pie crust in the pan (obviously not baked) and take the white of one egg and brush it on the crust. They say this forms a barrier between the filling and the crust so the crust stays crisper. Don't know if it's true.

Maybe try posting the question in Karen's Corner?

leslieam Thu, Nov-24-05 06:55

I just made this cheesecake last night to take to my Grandmother's. I made it plain, with crust. It turnd out beautifully, and I'm anxious to try it! :yum:

I'm already planning my next one - think I'll make it pumpkin and take it to work. I'm always trying to tell the people I work with that LC is THE WAY to lose weight. Maybe with a yummy LC friendly cheesecake, I'll convert them! :lol:

Many thanks, Bawdy, for posting this simple but classic cheesecake recipe!

BawdyWench Thu, Nov-24-05 08:21

Glad to be of service, Leslie. Are you taking anything to top it off with? Strawberries? I've never done it, but I've thought about melting some SF or low-sugar strawberry jam and drizzling it over the top. You could also make a LC chocolate sauce out of heavy cream, cocoa, and Splenda. I think if you cook it down, it will get thicker.

Have a wonderful holiday!

leslieam Thu, Nov-24-05 18:23

Quote:
Glad to be of service, Leslie. Are you taking anything to top it off with?

No I didn't Bawdy. But let me tell you - this thing was AWESOME! And I am SO glad I made it. My cousin has a new boyfriend, and I found out he is diabetic. He was looking at all the desserts on the table, and I said "I heard you say you were diabetic". And he said "Yeah, but what I wouldn't give for something sweet". I said "That cheesecake right there is SF - I made it. I'm on a LC diet so I don't eat sugar, either." Do you know the guy hugged me and helped himself to a generous portion? And he loved it, too! It made me feel good to know I brought something that others could enjoy.

I think we could cook down a chocolate sauce to make it thicker. Hmmmm, I'll have to think on that to figure out what we could do. We could try to cook it down but I'm not used to working with heavy cream over heat. Wonder if we'd have to use a double boiler.

Next time, I am going to make the pumpkin cheesecake using the recommendations you have in a previous post.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. And if you made this cheesecake, let us know how you made it so we can all learn some different variations. :thup:

zajack Wed, Nov-30-05 16:23

Just wanted to let you know...I tried the pumpkin cheesecake recipe twice. It came out fine the first time but I tweaked it a bit the second time and liked it better. I cut the sour cream to 1/2 cupand added an extra can of pumpkin...wow was it good!!! (it didnt have the tartish twang that my first one had) I used both splenda and sf syrup (b52 flavor) in mine. Thanks again for posting this thread.

zajack Thu, Dec-08-05 23:59

quick note:
I wanted to let everyone know...when I made Bawdy's cheesecake I couldnt find a spring-form pan...but I saw one of those round rubbery pans (feels like it's made of gel) that is VERY pliable and you think (oh my...gonna wreck my oven and melt in there if I try cooking with it...I just know it). Anyway...I figured "what the heck" and made the cheesecake in it. I still put a pan of water in the oven to prevent cracking and it came out beautifully!!! It probably wouldnt work if you intended to try and get the whole thing onto a plate to bring to someone's house...but the individual pieces come right out without sticking...so it's great for use at home...I just store it in the fridge right in the pan (or whatever you call those things.) You just need to be careful getting it out of the oven...slide it onto a cookie sheet or something because the darn pan is still pliable as all get out, even when full of a baked cheesecake. Just thought I'd mention it for those who dont have spring-forms.

ManOnMoon Fri, Dec-09-05 08:19

I saw someone mentioned making a chocolate topping with cocoa powder, splenda and cream. I do something different. I use unsweetened baker's choc. splenda and a little cream. I also use this to make choc covered nuts and berries. Melt baker's choc. in a double boiler with splenda, SLOWLY add cream. The first time I tried this I made some nice hot coco. :-)

George stella dipped frozen blueberries in this then let them sit in the fridge to make mock raisin-ettes. I haven't tried that yet. Good stuff.

BawdyWench Fri, Dec-09-05 15:30

Great tip on those silicone pans! Yes, you do need to support it fully on the way in AND out of the oven.

And, using the baker's chocolate instead of the cocoa is probably much better.

GREAT TIPS!!!

ArmyWife05 Thu, Dec-22-05 02:00

Mmm that sounds so delicious, I am going to have to make some soon!

MissSherry Fri, Dec-23-05 13:22

If I made this today would it still be good on Christmas??

BawdyWench Thu, Dec-29-05 17:51

MissSherry, I've been out of town and didn't see your question. Yes, it can last for days and days in the fridge, but only if you have a padlock on the fridge!

:lol:

MissSherry Fri, Dec-30-05 06:34

roflol I figured and made it with great success and managed to have it all eaten by the 26th :)

2bthinner! Fri, Dec-30-05 07:03

Bawdy,

I have such confidence in this recipe,(yours) I'm planning WAY ahead. I've been searching for various different things, and I think I'll like this one.
I have not yet made this, but I don't see any problems..

CUPCAKE CHEESECAKE

1 pkg. no-bake cheesecake mix
(of course will use BawdyWench's recipe)
1 can pie filling (will use tweaked strawberry puree, with whole strawberries added)
Cupcake papers

To make, follow directions for Bawdy's Cheesecake. In cupcake molds, add 1 tablespoon almond or pecan crumbs (or a s/f vanilla wafer or other desirable s/f cookie), drizzle with a bit of butter and press with the bottom of a styrofoam cup. (Or nothing) On top of this fill with Bawdy's cheesecake mixture to 1/2 or 1/3 full. Bake 15min at 350 degrees F. (I'm sure you should watch it as ovens can vary) Cool with oven cracked slightly open. Add blueberry, cherry or your favorite sf pie filling.

I think this will work well since this keeps well. Then I have easy access individual servings. Wait, easy access, that's probably not a good thing.. :lol: I plan on doing this in the next few weeks. We eat out a lot. And they (not me) get ice cream out a lot, and it really helps me to have something that I really enjoy waiting for me at home. I've been using my Cremello jello, but would like some variety. Before I get bored. :cool:

MissSherry Fri, Dec-30-05 07:18

Sounds good to me.

Where are you in FL? I live near St. Augustine

kevinpa Fri, Dec-30-05 07:43

here is a great LC topping for cheesecakes

http://www.low-carb.com/newlucleafli.html