Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kick Nicotine Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Cough Cough (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=228199)

gawdess Thu, Jan-13-05 14:30

Cough Cough

Here I sit.....readying myself for my final cigarette on Sunday night.....I am kind of scared....waiting for the withdrawal symptoms...the sleepyness...the agitation....

But I will do it this time. No more hacking and coughing. No more wasting my money!

Heres to better health!

LukeA Thu, Jan-13-05 15:26

Good luck! You can do it!

jaimejo Thu, Jan-13-05 15:39

Quote:
But I will do it this time. No more hacking and coughing. No more wasting my money!

Now is a good time. Have you seen the price of cigarettes lately? Not that I should talk....I'm still puffing away. :(

larlee Thu, Jan-13-05 21:27

On January 3, 2005, I quit smoking and I also started the Atkins diet. So far, it's great. I'm not worried about sticking to the Atkins diet but the smoking, that's another story. My mother passed away from lung cancer 2 1/2 years ago. She had quit smoking 7 years before that and she still had lung cancer. So I don't want to be in the same predicament. But I've been yo-yoing for two years. I've actually quit smoking once for 4 months but my downfall is the spring. As soon as we're out there working in the garden, the urge to smoke is greater than me. I hope this spring I can resist.

I do feel better already. I don't cough, or hardly at all. The house smells better.

Duranimal Sun, Jan-16-05 21:54

gawdess :wave:
Hello, hey your pics are great. What a great job you've done. I will never eat any other way than this. I'm right now having my last cigs tonight as well, I'll do the quit with you. I'm doing the smoke away plan, worked for a month a few months back and the bar scene got me. Giving the drinking thing up as well. Keep me up on how your doing and I'll do the same if that sounds good. Take care.
Duran

gawdess Mon, Jan-17-05 07:37

Ahhhhh! Here I am at day one already. Its 8:30 am and I am chomping away on a piece of nicotine gum. I have a month of NRTs available to me, although I am only planning to use them for the first two-three weeks, while I clean out the cigarettes in my life.

This morning I am already withdrawing, having a hard time talking to people and losing my patience easily. I am sure by nightfall I will be exhausted and ready to go to bed early. This will pass. I just need to be patient. I hope you all are doing well with your quitting.

puddypark Mon, Jan-17-05 10:10

Best of Luck To you!!!!! I quit right before xmas--used the patch and chewed gum like crazy!! I just cannot be around any smokers still and I don't know when I will be able to!
I love the smell of a cig--but I can not believe that when I am in a store and someone walks past me that smells like an ashtray ---that i used to smell like that??!!
As far as the impatience goes well best of luck with that too--remember if people can not handle your mood swings right now when you are really trying to do one of the hardest things ever then screw um!
I finally got over the temper/mood thing when i threw a tantrum in Macys right at xmas and didn't think ---geez I could have been arrested--OOPPS!
anyways---best of luck and i am hear for you if you need me!!

gawdess Mon, Jan-17-05 13:32

Thanks so much. I couldnt even talk to people earlier I was so bad. Ive decided to do nothing this week outside of go to work and then class. I am avoiding people because my moods are so shifty. It is only 2:30 and already I want to go to sleep.

Oh well. This will all be worth it in the end.

Duranimal Mon, Jan-17-05 20:20

I know what you mean about the shifty mood thing. I told my friends at work to just tell me I'm being an ass and I would chill out (maybe). Extra sleep sounds good, I'm pretty jittery. We're doing great. Take care.

gawdess Tue, Jan-18-05 07:22

Day 2 and I am still here.

After multiple nervous breakdowns yesterday, I made it! I do admit to eating chocolate multiple times to cope. It made me feel so much better. Once I get past the first three days, I will get back to being low carb. I am considering dumping the nicotine gum and doing this cold turkey.

puddypark Tue, Jan-18-05 09:02

Keep the gum for a while longer. I was on the patch for 2 weeks---it really helps with the urges! I also chewed the hell out of cinamon sticks! Keep up the good work and I know that the chocolate is satisfying ---boy do i miss it! (smoking and chocolate) but I need to stay away from the things that trigger the cravings still!
SO BE STRONG!!! YOU ARE POWERFUL! YOU ARE AMAZING!

BlitzedAng Wed, Jan-19-05 06:47

I wish you all the strength Gawdess :there:
You CAN do this. If you need a shoulder , lemme know ;) ..

Just take it one hour at a time. I would lighten up on the caffine during this time too. For me anyhow it helped me deal with the cravings a lil easier. Take care.

Angel :wave:

gawdess Wed, Jan-19-05 10:59

It is day three and I am feeling much stronger.

I had 5 pieces of nicotine gum the first day. I had 1 yesterday and so far today I have had none. I feel fine. WOOHOO!

puddypark Wed, Jan-19-05 15:11

Congrats Gawdess!!! Duranimal--I hope that your day is doing well too!
Now don't get upset if next week you need 5 sticks of gum--it takes time and you're doing SUPER FANTASTIC!!
YIPPEE!!!
Keep up the good work!!

Duranimal Wed, Jan-19-05 21:34

:wave: Hello, Thanks I'm doing great. Cravings are still going on for me. Got the little one to sleep over at her house. Home now, try to stay gone a lot to keep myself from getting bored. Bought 8 packs of wintergreen toothpicks tonight,
I'm set now, chew the hell out of them. Going to try those cinamon sticks as well. Thanks for the tip Puddypark. Gawdess your doing wonderful. Peace out all.