Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   PCOS (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   For the ladies..... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=316841)

frisbena Thu, Nov-30-06 21:01

For the ladies.....

Hi everyone,

Fellow PCOSer here as well (aren't we blessed!). I started this WOE a little over a month ago and my periods have gone wonky!

I am on birth control pills but my last two cycles have started a week early while I still have a week left of pills to take. My period lasts at least a week and a half while usually it is 3 days. Has anyone else noticed some irregularities with thier cycle when they first started low carbing???

Thanks!

ysabella Tue, Dec-05-06 18:01

My cycle became more regular, actually, when I started Atkins back in 2003. I went off the Pill, and found I was able to regulate my own cycles - for the first time in my life! So I used other means for contraception, since I didn't need the Pill to regulate my periods anymore.

You appear to be successfully losing weight - that could be making your periods wonky, too.

Maybe you could phone the nurse at your gynecologist's office and ask about this? See if there are any tests they want to run, or if they might want to change which Pill you're on?

I hope it evens out. This stuff is no fun! I have a Mirena IUD now, after having my son in April, and my body's still getting used to it. So I'm having some wacketty periods, lemme tell you. :rolleyes:

YankeeGrl Sun, Feb-04-07 14:00

I have never been on the pill (use progesterone to bring on AF) but I know that the times I have followed a strict LC diet, I have had a visit from AF when normally I never see her w/o medication. So, LC definitely does something!

~k

frisbena Mon, Feb-05-07 06:40

Thanks ladies,

IT does seem to be calming down a bit but it is SO heavy. Oh the joy of womanhood!

Greenwitch Fri, Mar-30-07 20:43

The last time I LC'd AF showed up after a 4 month absence ....and wouldn't stop. I ended up having a d&c. This time AF hasn't shown up and has been away for a few months. I really hope she doesn't bother coming around with such force like she did last time.

For the record I'm on 500mg twice a day.

I must say, I do like the metformin - helps with all the constipation issues of LC'ing! hahahahah!

susansmk Tue, Apr-10-07 20:52

I went probably a year or so with absolutely no periods before being diagnosed with PCOS. Metformin apparently regulated me - I'm like clockwork now for the first time in my LIFE. I do have months, however, where they are super super heavy and I cramp worse than ever before.

Quote:
I must say, I do like the metformin - helps with all the constipation issues of LC'ing! hahahahah!
Amen to that!

Virtuous Wed, Apr-18-07 18:23

I know what you are saying I started just LC and saw great results, so eventually I think AF will straighten out. Sometimes my cramps really hurt, but I have to remind myself I didn't have a period at all so why complain. Take care!

faduckeggs Mon, Apr-30-07 12:04

For the first time in my life since I was 15, I have gone three months in a row without cramps. I used to have cramps so bad that I was on narcotic pain meds for them. My first month LC, the cramps were still there, but not so bad. These alst two months, I had no craps at all.

LStump Mon, Apr-30-07 12:33

When I started low carbing and was on birth control for over a year before that (didn't know I had PCOS a month ago when I started Atkins), my periods came a day earlier, and a month later, a day earlier than THAT. I guess that was good, I didn't have it for the weekend?