Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Food Combining (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Hello! I am a New (Old) FC'er (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=416216)

Jenn2002 Fri, Aug-20-10 20:46

Hello! I am a New (Old) FC'er

I am back to FC - I am a rather strict combiner, it has always been the only food plan that really works for me long term as far as eating healthy food and sticking with it. I had been under a lot of stress finishing grad school and yadda yadda yadda... gained a ton of weight. So I am on the straight and narrow. I started with my food plan five days ago and I feel really good. anyway would love to chit chat with other combiners!

Jenn

dearmommy Fri, Aug-20-10 22:21

Welcome.

Not sure exactly what food combining is but if it works for you that's great. Good luck on your journey.

Jenn2002 Sat, Aug-21-10 09:14

Basically Food Combining is an eating plan in which you do not mix carbohydrates and proteins. Low-carb diets like atkins have some elements of food combining in them but they are not necessarily food combining plans.

J.

RCFletcher Thu, Aug-26-10 02:52

Good luck with your journey Jenn. Are you following a particular book or just basing it on your own knowledge?

Jenn2002 Thu, Aug-26-10 07:55

Hi Robert,

My nutritionist in the late 90' to early 2000's was Judy Mazel - she is known for writing the beverly hills diet. The diet takes a lot of flack but Judy just used the same food combining rules in that book that are found in Hays, and then after her in Fit for Life, Somersizing and the Marilu Henners book. So I follow Judy's rules, but they are similar to the rules you would find in any food combining program. Judy called her way "Conscious Combining" so thats what I do.

Judy's books are mostly out of print. You can still get the New Beverly Hills diet but honestly its not as clear about food combining as the 81 book. She also wrote a book called the Beverly Hills diet Lifetime plan (in england it was called living with the beverly hills diet) which also has a lot of great info on food combining. If you can get past how dated the books are - and if Judy's personal style does not turn you off, they are great books. She was an awesome person to talk to! always bubbly and positive! I was the thinnist and most healthy I have ever been when working with her. I have gotten thin since but never in a healthy or positive way.

RCFletcher Fri, Aug-27-10 09:22

Hi Jann. I just found the original '81 book online and ordered a copy. Thank you for all the information.
Robert

RCFletcher Fri, Sep-03-10 06:21

Well Jenn I've just read The Beverly Hills Diet '81 edition. All that fruit! Weeks of it! It's not a plan I could follow I'm afriad. I like my food combining more Hays style. Still if it works for you then good luck!

Jenn2002 Sun, Sep-05-10 16:02

HA! yeah the fruit.... but I was more suggeting her thoughts on general food combining. Fruit is not as big a part of maintinance on the 81 plan but the fruit detox at the start is rough, luckily its not somthing that gets repeated unless you have been going hog wild for 6 months or more,,,,

starting 5 out of 7 days with fruit is the recomendation on maint... anyhow I think any food combining plan is good.

Jenn

kaustin Sun, Sep-26-10 08:57

Same boat

I too did food combing over 20 years ago with great success! Only time in my life that I lost weight and felt great. I have made several attempts to reurn but with no success. I need to make the commitment so maybe we can support each other.

Kathy :wave:

jimsbride Mon, Oct-11-10 00:30

Are you still around trying this? I need support too!

kaustin Tue, Oct-12-10 16:16

I am still here :-) I have lost 6 pounds so far!

jimsbride Wed, Oct-13-10 11:15

That is great! I am trying to get back started! I know that when I did it I swore to myself to never forget that this works for me! Obviously I didn't have much faith in that I was going to stay true to it. But here I am trying to get back remembering that it indeed works!

Congratulations on your weightloss!