Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Karen's Corner (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Karen Barnaby's cheesecake is "to die for"! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=398318)

smileyblon Sun, Jul-05-09 20:20

Karen Barnaby's cheesecake is "to die for"!

Thank you so much, Karen, for this awesome recipe. It was gobbled down by my 4th of July guests topped with strawberries and blueberries. I used toasted walnuts instead of Brazil Nuts in the crust and they worked well. Yummy!

Karen's New York Style Cheesecake with Brazil Nut Crust

Citruskiss Mon, Jul-06-09 14:31

Yes, it's pretty amazing isn't it? I get asked for it frequently - my diabetic uncle loves it, and more recently - my stepdaughter 'requested' it for her bridal shower a few months back. No one at the party could believe it was low carb!

Here's one variation I made for my husband's birthday awhile back:

I painted the sides with smashed up blueberry juice.

bella_meow Mon, Jul-06-09 14:37

what is sugar twin and brown sugar twin????

Citruskiss Mon, Jul-06-09 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_meow

Those are available in Canada - there should be an alternative suggestion in the recipe for equivalent amounts for regular Splenda.

This is *the best* cheesecake ever, I swear. Well worth making. Will wow everyone.

GlendaRC Mon, Jul-06-09 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_meow

Sugar Twin is also available in the US but it's made from a different sweetener - in Canada it's sodium cyclamate. I'm not sure where in WA Hartline is, but if it's anywhere near the border, a quick trip into Canada and you'll find it's available at any grocery store in the sugar and baking aisle.

PS - it measures spoon for spoon the same as sugar, so granular Splenda would use the same amount as Sugar Twin.

Citruskiss Mon, Jul-06-09 16:38

I just went and read the link to the recipe - and there aren't instructions for alternate amounts for regular granular Splenda - thanks glendarc for clearing that one up :)

LukeA Mon, Jul-06-09 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
I just went and read the link to the recipe - and there aren't instructions for alternate amounts for regular granular Splenda - thanks glendarc for clearing that one up :)

In her book the low carb gourmet, she elaborates and indeed says to use more splenda if you are not combining it with sugar twin. So you were actually right in the first place. :)

Citruskiss Mon, Jul-06-09 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
In her book the low carb gourmet, she elaborates and indeed says to use more splenda if you are not combining it with sugar twin. So you were actually right in the first place. :)

Yep - I make the 'book' version - from "The Low Carb Gourmet". Love that cookbook!

You know, I hadn't been looking through it so much lately, because I've gone gluten and dairy-free, and recently I was looking again through The Low Carb Gourmet, and realized there are a number of gluten-free and dairy-free recipes.

I have a party coming up, and I think I'm going to try one of her themed dinner party ideas. Not sure which one yet, but am looking forward to it.

smileyblon Tue, Jul-07-09 06:16

I live in Texas and find Sugar Twin and brown Sugar Twin at Tom Thumb grocery stores. It is also made with sodium saccharin and maltodextrin. I have used it in my coffee for years. I used the granular Splenda and Sugar Twin in the proportions in the recipe and it came out great! No aftertaste and it cut like a New York Cheesecake.

Nancy LC Tue, Jul-07-09 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Yep - I make the 'book' version - from "The Low Carb Gourmet". Love that cookbook!

You know, I hadn't been looking through it so much lately, because I've gone gluten and dairy-free, and recently I was looking again through The Low Carb Gourmet, and realized there are a number of gluten-free and dairy-free recipes.

I have a party coming up, and I think I'm going to try one of her themed dinner party ideas. Not sure which one yet, but am looking forward to it.

Yeah, there are! I love her book too. It's really a beautiful book.

ana malock Fri, Oct-16-09 22:46

Great recipe! I am gonna include this one to our Halloween party! All my girlfriends will looove it! so it is going to be a real TREAT!