Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   A paleo recipe thread (please contribute) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=266493)

capmikee Wed, Sep-02-09 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLC
Things I want to try:

Making a macadamia nut crust
Coating in coconut flour
Coconut flakes make a pretty good crust. Grinding macadamia nuts is a pain.

Nancy LC Wed, Sep-02-09 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Coconut flakes make a pretty good crust. Grinding macadamia nuts is a pain.

Really? Did you try it in a coffee grinder or mini-food processor?

capmikee Wed, Sep-02-09 21:44

I have neither. I did it by hand once, and then I got a little hand-cranked nut grinder at the thrift store. Not very effective. I can't remember if I've tried my blender, but I would expect it would be a sticky mess before some of the nuts even got chopped.

moggsy Thu, Sep-03-09 02:12

Avgolemono Soup

This is how I made it:

Homemade seasoned chicken broth brought to a boil then lowered to simmering (I don't know how much, enough to nearly fill the dutch oven)
Added spinach. About 4 servings worth
Whipped 2 eggs, added the juice of one lemon
Added lemon zest to the broth mixture
Whipped the eggs some more, added several ladles of broth and a dash of hot sauce
Added egg mixture to soup
Added left over chicken and let soup simmer a few minutes

My first time making it, and next time I won't heat after the egg mixture is added. Even though it was curdled (and more like lemony chicken egg drop soup), it was really tasty.

Water Lily Sat, Sep-19-09 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I have a potential concept...

Bacon wrapped dates

I went to a interesting restaurant that has little foods, like tapas only not spanish. One of the dishes was Bacon wrapped dates, they had cheese in the middle, definitely not paleo. But I was thinking one could put something else in the middle.

They were insanely good. :P

I know that this is an old post, but if you stuff the dates with almond butter and then wrap them in bacon, they are unbelievable!

Carole923 Mon, Sep-21-09 22:28

Poor Man's Caviar

I have had this recipe for 45 years, given to me as a young bride. It's like Baba Ganoosh, and a great dip for veggies:

Poor Man's Caviar

1 Med. Eggplant, bake until tender, peel, put in bowl and prees and pour off the juice several times.

Chop 2 large cloves of garlic
1/2 green pepper
1 cut up medium tomato

Chop all together really fine (in those days no food processor, we used a wooden bowl and hand chopper, I still have mine)

Add drained eggplant and chop all together.
Season with salt, pepper 1/2 cup olive (or other) oil
1/2 cup vinegar to taste
mix well and chill.

capmikee Tue, Sep-22-09 08:04

I thought tarama was the poor man's caviar - $10 a pound!

Nancy LC Tue, Sep-22-09 09:14

Quote:
I thought tarama was the poor man's caviar - $10 a pound!

That sounds more like a middle-class man's caviar. :p

capmikee Tue, Sep-22-09 09:31

A little goes a long way.

I'm excited for caviar season. They only seem to have it around Thanksgiving. I don't know why exactly. I had some salmon roe a couple years ago and I really miss it. It's one of the most succulent foods on earth.

frankly Tue, Sep-22-09 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
A little goes a long way.

I'm excited for caviar season. They only seem to have it around Thanksgiving. I don't know why exactly. I had some salmon roe a couple years ago and I really miss it. It's one of the most succulent foods on earth.

Salmon roe is my hands down favorite, though I suppose partly because I can't afford the sturgeon varieties. Trout is pretty good, but I don't think it's commercially available (not that I've ever seen), still if you fish - it's better than wasting - my grandmother used to love trout roe. I've had milt before as well - an Italian friend fried some up for all of us when we were doing a fish fry with some pike and pickerel.

In other neat fish news; there's a store nearby that caters to much of the Newfoundland ex-pat community and sells Cod cheeks and tongues from time to time.

Nancy LC Thu, Sep-24-09 14:24

I haven't tried this but it sure looks interesting:
Palm butter
Quote:
ngredients

* 1 pound chicken (legs, wings or thighs, or a mix)
* 1 pound stewed beef, cut into cubes
* 1 pound of dried pike fish or two or three dried bonnies
* 2 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
* Salt
* Pepper
* Onion powder
* Garlic powder
* 1 28-ounce can of palm butter, also called palm cream
* 2 chicken bouillon cubes
* 1 Jamaican hot pepper, whole

Click the link for method and details.

AimeeJoi Thu, Dec-03-09 18:46

Sometimes I look to the raw vegan world for some paleo inspiration. These are the best substitute I have found when you are really craving something like a dorito.

Kale Tempuraw

Large bunch of kale torn up into little pieces
2-3 large spoonfuls of almond butter
1/4 cup lemon juice (or more to taste)
salt
onion powder
dill

mix everything but kale in a large bowl. Add enough water to make mixture like pancake batter. Toss the kale pieces and use your hand to coat them really well making sure the almond butter gets all over the kale. I use a cookie cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet and spread the kale all over it. Put it in the oven on 140 degrees ( if your oven doesn't go that low maybe a warming setting would work) dehydrate until the pieces are really crispy and dry.

This tastes really cheesy and good. I can eat about half the batch in one sitting. :yum: :yum:

Graphite Mon, Jan-25-10 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain girl
Beef and Summer Squash Saute
A one pot meal...

1 pound ground beef (organic REALLY does taste, smell and look better)
4 zucchini diced (or mix and match, I usually use 2 zukes and 2 yellow crooknecks)
4 roma tomatoes, chopped (or a can of diced, I like the ones with seasonings)

Onion, chopped (I used 1 large)
Garlic, minced (I used 4-6 cloves)
Seasonings (I used dried oregano and basil, about 1 1/2 tsp each)
Salt and pepper

Brown beef in skillet with chopped onions and minced garlic until meat is browned. Season with spices. Add tomatoes (I add the liquid when using a can as well) and diced squash. Stir well and saute for a few minutes until zucchini is tender. Makes 4 good sized servings.

I love this stuff, having it almost weekly now. Very fast, easy and nutritious. If you do dairy it is nice with some fresh grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

Just found this.

I love recipes like this, because you can change up the seasonings however you like. My wife's favorite seasoning blend is Cavender's, which is a Greek blend you can find in virtually any grocery store. Or use Italian seasonings, or heck, use chili or taco seasonings! Whatever!

We do the same with the legendary "breakfast quiche" recipe so many here love. Use any kind of meat you like, any kind of cheese, any seasonings... we love pastrami and extra tomato with provolone on top. Or ground lamb with spinach, black olives and feta cheese melted on top. Do whatever you want!

Recipes like these are the best.

oldehippie Mon, Sep-13-10 22:55

sole with bacon

New recipe.

1 lb of sole
package of bacon
smokey cheese

Take filets of sole wrap around small piece of smoked cheese
wrap with slice of bacon around each filet.

Place in baking dish cover with foil. Place in center of pre-heated 375 oven cook for one hour. Remove foil let cook for about another 10-15 minutes.

JeffNimoy Thu, Oct-14-10 12:47

Apple Pie!

Please visit here for the recipe and photos:

http://cookingcaveman.tumblr.com/po...e-sky-apple-pie