Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   "Crusty" chicken (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123816)

MsBrisby Fri, Jul-18-03 10:59

"Crusty/Breaded" parmesan chicken

I used to make this pre-lc days and recently ran across the recipe after quite some time. I was tickled to realize it was legal as could be! :p

2 chicken breasts*
3/4 c mayo
1/2 c shredded parmesan**
Powdered garlic, paprika

*To maximize "crustiness" on the surface area, I split the breasts lengthwise. Not totally necessary, but I think it gives more flavor.
** I always use fresh parmesan but I would think the powdery parmesan would probably work--no guarantees.

To prepare:
Wash and split breasts. Place in a well-buttered cake pan. Sprinkle with garlic powder, paprika (or any other seasoning that suites your fancy!).
In a small mixing bowl, combine the mayo and cheese. Spread liberally over each piece of chicken. Dust with paprika.
Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. It will turn golden and form a "crust".

I have seen similar posts, but not this exact one. It is so super easy and even my quitter ex-lcing DH loved it. While he was trying this WOL it was his favorite meal. -He gave up on the lc way...oh well, his loss--or gain! :rolleyes:

At my calculation each piece (meaning both halves of one breast) is about 4 carbs. Adjust carb count to your own seasonings or if you add extra cheese.

PS- Have used different cheeses and they are okay, parmesan does work the best though!
I hope someone enjoys this! :wiggle:

LisaUK Wed, Jul-23-03 06:50

Sounds good to me! I have the parmesan, though I do need to buy chicken...:)

DWRolfe Wed, Jul-23-03 10:26

Sounds good to me too...

...I'll try it out.

Thank for posting it.

Donald :wiggle:

Blairwitch Wed, Jul-23-03 13:13

Sounds really good, in fact I will try this one out tonight. Thanks for the receipe.

brac Thu, Jul-24-03 11:08

I made this last night, it was wonderful.

However, I made it a little bit differently.

I did NOT butter pan. I used a glass baking dish, the chicken (with mayo mixture coating) created more than enough juice, etc. to prevent stikcing or whatever the butter was meant for.

Also, in cheese and mayo mixture, I added parsely flakes, black peper, onion powder and garlic powder.

On a personal cooking note, I cooked at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. I am a freak about my chicken. I put on bottom rack in oven to prevent excessive browning on chicken.

Lastly, before putting in oven, I sprinkled with more parsely and some red pepper flakes. This make it look pretty (like the paprika would) and gave it another spice kick!

MsBrisby Thu, Jul-24-03 11:40

I've tried this with a variety of spices as well. I just copied down what the original recipie called for. I agree, the red pepper flakes are good!

Sometimes I toss in some sliced mushrooms and minced garlic (I think that is where butter on the bottom came in). :yay:

icadelai Thu, Jul-24-03 20:36

Wow this was great I tried it tonight... even my carb loving family loved it.

siara28 Fri, Jul-25-03 14:48

Sounds delicious, I think I will take out some chicken for tomorrow night, THANKS!
Heidi