Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.S. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   spot (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=14959)

nsmith4366 Sat, Aug-04-01 13:21

spot

Traverse City Michigan...anyone out there lowcarbing?!
nsmith4366~*** write me.

doreen T Sat, Aug-04-01 13:45

hi nsmith

welcome aboard!

I edited your email ... we use a private messaging system, rather than post email addresses. This protects you and our message board from spam. As well, we are a very friendly community .. we encourage everyone to share their lowcarb experience here in our forum, so that others can benefit too .. :)

What plan are you following? Did you just start lowcarbing, or have you been at it for a while? Do you have a lot of weight to lose, or just a few lbs.? Or maybe you're lowcarbing for health reasons???

Doreen

nsmith4366 Sat, Aug-04-01 15:18

Hi and thanks.

Hi and thanks for the welcome. Two years ago I was 137 and runing 2x a day, eating a NONfat HIGH carb diet. I was tired and not losing weight, had constipation and a whole host of other "symptoms" including constant hunger. Then I started Somersizing...lost some/dropped running, started walking, lost more and then went to Atkinsing. I mix regular with lowfatatkinsing/never got used to eating lots of fat - now I walk at least 1 hour a day and lowcarb it all the way. No sugar, flour, processed foods of any kind (mayo is okay)...I consider myself an athlete, I don't need to lose weight, now I'm at probably a comfortable 125 or less on some days. Sure, I'd love to be model thin - but I'm living a much better lifestyle now. More reasonable, more balanced, my moods are leveled out, my pms is much less, NO female yeast problem, no bloating every night - did I say how HAPPY I am? My usual day is Egg or eggs for breakfast, Atkins shake and tuna/mayo sometime during the day - probably a cup or two of lettuce or some other veg and a nice lowER fat low carb dinner, like turkey or chicken or fish. See how easy? I think people overthink lowcarbing. Personally I think it's a no brainer myself. Everyone has noticed the weightloss and change in me...and they marvel because I no longer run. Frankly, I think running or high intensity exercise in some way raised my apetite AND my testosterone level/cortisol (stress hormone) level. People with higher cortisol tend to put on more weight/new studies say. I mean running made me FEEL more relaxed, but physically, running is a stress inducing activity...running or high intensity exercise is the "flight" part of "fight or flight" I believe and releases adrenaline and stress hormones into the system. Naturally the body becomes hungrier and in response I'd eat more/and all the carbs and no fat. I was usually dehydrated from the running and with all that sugar in my system I was probably yeast ridden and not healing well (with no fat eaten) and I was sick alot. In the 2 years I've been lowcarbing I haven't been sick ONCE. My weight is down, my moods are even. I was told I had very high triglycerides in my "other food/exercise life"...now they are normal. A high carb diet can result in high triglycerides...So that is the crux of my story. I'd love to find someone, preferably a walker - in my area, but anyone is fine who low carbs like I do. I eat, I do not "seek out fat" like some Atkinsers...I do keep carbs to below 20 daily if I can. Sometimes I feel fat, sometimes I feel thin, it's hard to gauge. I never weight myself, never. Well, thanks for checking in...write if you are in Traverse City - we must get steaks together sometime!!!

fern2340 Sun, Aug-05-01 13:06

Hey there!
Welcome aboard! I do not live in Michigan but I am going there tomorrow for business. I have never been there and my directional sense is NOT very good. Is Lansing near Traverse City?

Well wishes from the east coast.....

nsmith4366 Sun, Aug-05-01 17:32

Lansing

No, Lansing is in the middle part of the mitten/sort of/about 4 hours south of us.