Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   December Plank Challenge!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=475693)

Charms09 Sat, Dec-03-16 12:43

December Plank Challenge!!!

Thanks to JustJo I started planking on Dec 1st to add to my well being & over all health!!!
It's not easy but there are many benefits to doing this exercise daily (that I will list below!)

I'm challenging any & everyone to start planking daily!!!

So...anyone interested is welcome to keep your daily plank time here!!!

Start by putting the day & then your plank time. Each day copy & paste your entry from the day before & add then that day's plank time!!!

Let's keep each other motivated & cheer each other on!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are some good reasons to start planking today!!! (From Lifehacks)

Abdominal muscles must provide support for our entire back and spinal column. In doing so, they also play a vital role in preventing injuries. However, for them to perform this function successfully, our core muscles have to be strong and trained on a regular basis. What all this means is that doing plank exercises every day is a great way to strengthen your core, and in doing so, support your spine.

1. You’ll improve core definition and performance

Planks are an ideal exercise for the abdominal muscles exactly because they engage all major core muscle groups including the transverse abdominus, the rectus abdominus, the external oblique muscle, and the glutes. The importance of strengthening each muscle group cannot be underestimated either, for all of these groups serve their own purpose. If you strengthen these muscle groups you will notice:

Transverse abdominis: increased ability to lift heavier weights.

Rectus adbominis: improved sports performance, particularly with jumping. This muscle group is also responsible for giving you the renowned six pack look.

Oblique muscles: improved capacity for stable side-bending and waist-twisting

Glutes: a supported back and a strong, shapely booty.

2. You’ll decrease your risk of injury in the back and spinal column

Doing planks is a type of exercise that allow you to build muscle while also making sure that you are not putting too much pressure on your spine or hips. According to the American Council on Exercise, doing planks regularly not only significantly reduces back pain but it also strengthens your muscles and ensures a strong support for your entire back, especially in the areas around your upper back.

3. You’ll experience an increased boost to your overall metabolism

Planking is an excellent way of challenging your entire body because doing them every day will burn more calories than other traditional abdominal exercises, such as crunches or sit-ups. The muscles you strengthen by doing this exercise on a day-to-day basis will ensure that you burn more energy even when sedentary. This is especially important if you are spending the majority of your day sitting in front of a computer. Also, making it a daily 10- to 1 minute home exercise before or after work will not only provide an enhanced metabolic rate~but it will also ensure that that metabolic rate remains high all day long, (yes, even while you are asleep).

4. You’ll significantly improve your posture

Doing planks greatly improves your ability to stand with straight and stable posture. Through strengthening your core you will be able to maintain proper posture at all times because muscles in the abdomen have a profound effect on the overall condition of your neck, shoulders, chest and back.

5. You’ll improve overall balance

Have you ever felt that when you tried standing on one leg, you couldn’t stand up straight for more than a couple of seconds? It’s not because you were drunk- unless you happened to be at the time!- but rather, it’s because your abdominal muscles weren’t strong enough to give you the balance you needed. Through improving your balance by doing side planks and planks with extensions you will boost your performance in every kind of sporting activity.

6. You’ll become more flexible than ever before

Flexibility is a key benefit of doing planks regularly, for this form of exercise expands and stretches all your posterior muscle groups– shoulders, shoulder blades, and collarbone – while also stretching your hamstrings, arches of your feet, and toes. With a side plank added in to the mix, you can also work on your oblique muscles. This will provide you with further benefits when it comes to hyper-extending your toes, a movement that is crucial for supporting your body’s weight.

7. You’ll witness mental benefits

Plank exercises have a particular effect on our nerves, making them an excellent means of improving overall mood. How? Well, they stretch out muscle groups that contribute to stress and tension in the body. Just think about it: you are sitting in your chair, at home or at work, all day long; your thigh muscles get tight, your legs get heavy due to being bent for several hours; and tension develops in your shoulders due to being forced to slump forward all day. These are all circumstances that put too stress on the muscles and nerves. The good news is that planks not only calm your brain, but they can also treat anxiety and symptoms of depression but only if you make it part of your daily routine.

How to hold a plank position...
1~Get into pushup position on the floor.
2~Now bend your elbows 90 degrees and rest your weight on your forearms.
3~Keep your torso straight and rigid and your body in a straight line from ears to toes with no sagging or bending.
4~Your head is relaxed and you should be looking at the floor.
4~Hold the position for as long as you can.
5~Remember to breathe. Inhale and exhale slowly and steadily.
6~When your form begins to suffer, pull the plug.
7~You’re only benefiting from the plank by actually doing the plank.

Charms09 Sat, Dec-03-16 12:44

Plank time:
12/01~ 45.79 sec's
12/02~ 50.28 sec's
12/03~1:00.23 sec's

Just Jo Sat, Dec-03-16 12:55

Hiya, Charms!

I'll join you, but I plank every other day. Hope that's okay! I'll just c&p what I post in my journal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo

85) Dec 1: 3m
86) Dec 3: 3m
87) Dec 5:
88) Dec 7:
89) Dec 9:
90) Dec 11:
91) Dec 13:
92) Dec 15:
93) Dec 17:
94) Dec 19:
95) Dec 21:
96) Dec 23:
97) Dec 25:
98) Dec 27:
99) Dec 29:
100) Dec 31:

Plankin' History (Day 1 to 84): June 17 - Nov 29, 2016: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...&postcount=2318

Graphic Source: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1938823/i...NS-facebook.jpg

A lil' Holiday Cheer:

Charms09 Sat, Dec-03-16 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Hiya, Charms!

I'll join you, but I plank every other day. Hope that's okay! I'll just c&p what I post in my journal!

Every other day is very cool too!!! Whatever works for you plank pro!!!

Glad to have you here!!! :agree: :thup: :agree:

Charms09 Sun, Dec-04-16 12:12

Plank time:

12/01~ 45.79 sec's
12/02~ 50.28 sec's
12/03~1:00.23 min's
12/04~1:08.30 min's

Charms09 Mon, Dec-05-16 10:12

Plank time:

12/01~ 45.79 sec's
12/02~ 50.28 sec's
12/05~1:09.26 min's

y0u Mon, Dec-05-16 19:45

I'm giving this a shot but if my shoulder acts up I may have to stop
I still have a pinched nerve and can't see a chiropractor until the 20th

12/4=30 seconds
12/5=45 seconds

Locarber16 Tue, Dec-06-16 00:13

Count me in

Ok here goes...
Can I watch tv while I'm planking or do I have to look down?

y0u Tue, Dec-06-16 07:59

12/4: 30 seconds
12/5: 45 seconds
12/6: 1 minute and 15 seconds....(before 6 am) :D
No coffee yet even!

y0u Tue, Dec-06-16 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarber16
Ok here goes...
Can I watch tv while I'm planking or do I have to look down?

You can do whatever you want while planking as long as you do them correctly
Heck...if I could figure out how to knit while planking I would!

Charms09 Tue, Dec-06-16 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0u
You can do whatever you want while planking as long as you do them correctly
Heck...if I could figure out how to knit while planking I would!

y0u...I literally LOL at this!!! :D :lol: :D

Charms09 Tue, Dec-06-16 08:51

Plank time:
12/01~ 45.79 sec's
12/02~ 50.28 sec's
12/05~1:09.29 min's
12/06~ 40.23 sec's (my arms just could not do this today :tears: )

Fauve Tue, Dec-06-16 19:30

ok, first time ever for me, I barely did 20 seconds!
I'll work on it.

Charms09 Tue, Dec-06-16 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
ok, first time ever for me, I barely did 20 seconds!
I'll work on it.

20 sec is a good 1st time!!! :thup: :thup: :thup:

Planks are hard to do so don't be too hard on yourself!!!

y0u Wed, Dec-07-16 00:43

Any plank is a good plank IMO
A planked cedar salmon is delicious too :)