Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Soups Sauces & Appetizers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   You Say Catsup, I Say Ketchup... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=149052)

Kristine Sat, Nov-15-03 07:57

You Say Catsup, I Say Ketchup...

Edit: New and improved after tweaking. :thup: (June 14/05)

It is a variation on this recipe courtesy of Dyberrah. It's absolutely fantastic! It's really the closest I've gotten to Heinz so far. I am going to create a Heinz duplicate if it's the last thing I ever do. (Heinz One Carb ketchup isn't available here.)

1 small can (384 mL/12 oz) of plain, sugar-free tomato sauce
1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 tsp vinegar (I used apple cider)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
a pinch of ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1 packet of Splenda
6 drops stevia (or add more Splenda)

Combine all ingredients except Splenda. Simmer gently for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool. Add Splenda. Store in the fridge.

The only down side to making this is that it only lasts a couple of weeks, whereas store-bought LC ketchup is better preserved and will last longer.

Karen Sat, Nov-15-03 10:46

Cool Kristine!

Is that 2 x 6 oz. cans tomato paste for 12 oz. total or 2 x 12 oz cans tomato paste?

Karen

Kristine Fri, Nov-28-03 10:38

Oops! Sorry - two 6 oz cans, 12 oz total.

I've never seen a 12-oz can of tomtato paste - must be a Costco thing. ;)

I take back my correction on the onion powder, too - within a few days, it mellowed completely. :thup:

(Edit - I only make it with one 6-oz can now.)

Julie10 Fri, Nov-28-03 20:57

Hi Kristine ... I can't find the BBQ sauces recipe....The link did not work for me....Can you tell me where to find it?...Thank you...Julie

Kristine Mon, Dec-01-03 09:25

Oops again! Sorry - I had to edit the link, there was a typo. It works now. :cool:

Julie10 Mon, Dec-01-03 11:15

Thank you Kristine ... I can't wait to try them....Julie

kath310 Wed, Feb-18-04 13:51

Kristine,

I just had to laugh at your title becuase I was doing a search for ketchup, and put my search words as "ketchup catsup" not knowing what I would find.

Thanks for the recipe....looks simple & tasty. I just had crab cakes for lunch and wished I had ketchup to put on top!

Now I'll have it for next time....Thanks again!

Kristine Fri, Feb-20-04 16:59

Quote:
I just had to laugh at your title becuase I was doing a search for ketchup, and put my search words as "ketchup catsup" not knowing what I would find.

:lol: I put both in the title so people could find it more easily from a search. :)

Karen D. Sun, Feb-22-04 23:17

I have made a very similar recipe and use about a tablespoon of it on a low carb tortilla, cover it with grated cheddar cheese, and broil it for a few minutes to make a low carb pizza. It's delicous.

Karen D.

mike_d Mon, Mar-12-07 10:01

Here is my version, its thick and tasty and should keep well:

Delicious LC Ketchup recipe:
8oz Hunts no salt tomato sauce
6oz tomato paste
10 Tbs apple cider or other vinegar
2 Tbs lemon juice or juice of one lemon
1/8 tsp Mrs. Dash original
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
2 whole cloves
1/8 tsp each of garlic and onion powder
2 packets Splenda (I also added a few drops of stevia extract)

Simmer and stir till mixture bubbles, but avoid scorching. Pack into a clean jar or squeeze into a ketchup bottle with a plastic bag (cut out a corner). I don't know how long this keeps in the fridge, but my pizza sauce is similar and it keeps for weeks or months.