Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   PCOS (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Doctors & low-carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=98394)

GeorgiaB Sat, Apr-12-03 15:22

Doctors & low-carb

I don't think I have PCOS, but we're still having trouble conceiving and well, I'm not sure this post belongs in this folder, but it certainly doesn't go well anywhere else. I'm just needing to vent a little. My husband and I just went for the intro class at our hmo's fertility clinic. First we have to send in some health history questionnairs and he has to drop off his sperm at the lab, then they'll call us and make the first appointment.

Well, on the questionnaires, there was a place that asked me if I am on any special diet (it wasn't on his forms though). DH made me tell the truth, even though I'm a bit nervous disclosing to a doctor that I'm low-carbing. Basically because so many people on these forums have talked about the trouble theirs docs have given them. I keep telling myself about how low-carb is a recognized treatment for PCOS and that RE's treat PCOS, so they generally speaking, shouldn't be opposed to it. I'm just worried that the doc is going to want to blame our unsuccess on low-carbing! :eek: Of course, worry is my middle name!

Anyway, I'm just wondering, for those of you seeing RE's, were they pro or con low-carb? I'm just really hoping that I don't have to "convince" the doc that low-carb is ok.

PCOS_lady Wed, Apr-16-03 09:44

Blame

Hi, your doctor will likely site lo-carbing as a no-no, but there is no proof of this. I think that the only reason I got pregnant with PCOS when I did 5 years ago was I just came of B.C. and I was on vitamins and lo-carbing. Good luck to you. I will pray for you and your future baby, do not give up hope. :thup:

GeorgiaB Sun, Apr-20-03 08:03

Thanks for responding PCOSLady. :) I got an appointment fo my exam set for May 6, and then I have to do my labs before I can actually get in to see a doctor, so I do have a while to go. I'm just trying to keep my mind off of it. If the doctor is anti-lc, then I'll deal with it then. I would imagine that they are though, because when we were in the class, the instructor, or whatever you call her, told us we should all be trying to eat healthy...we should be following the food pyramid. My DH looked over at me and rolled him eyes. lol He doesn't lc, but he also doesn't eat junk all the time like most people. Even though he doesn't lc, though, he has seen what a positive influence it's been for me and supports me through every minute of it. Anyway...I guess I just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening. :)

daph1061 Mon, Apr-21-03 07:57

pcos

i got pregnant after years of not having a menstral cycle and after losing about 30 pounds..i wasn't having a menstral cycle but for some reason i ovulated..i was also drinking red clover tea twice a day to reduce the acidity of my vaginal secreations...if your vaginal secreations are too acidic it will kill the sperm....i know it sounds way out there but my friend and i researched it and it worked for me..i'm an ob nurse so i have some background about pregnancy and quiz the doctors all the time about one thing or another....

Angel66668 Fri, May-09-03 21:19

My doc said LC was a great idea. :)