Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Karen's Corner (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Simple Chicken and Coconut Milk Curry (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=30239)

tamarian Tue, Jan-15-02 01:06

Simple Chicken and Coconut Milk Curry

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe061.html

clwydd Wed, Feb-13-02 08:02

My daughter and I loved this

I made this a couple of days ago, and my daughter and I had it last night with green beans and curried black soy beans (which I adapted from my favourite chick pea recipe). She had rice. After it was cooked, I took out the chicken and boiled the sauce down, which concentrated the flavour a little. It was delicious. My only regret is that there were only six chicken thighs in the package; if I had known that Kate would be interested I would have cooked two packages.

I'll write up the soy bean recipe and post it in the veggies tonight; it was very good.

Susan

jeanyyy Tue, Apr-01-03 00:00

I made this tonight and while it was good... it was very very mild in flavour. I prefer a more intense curry flavour, I guess. I did add some garam masala and heavy cream to it, after straining out all the spices, of course. Served it over spaghetti squash.

foodagenda Tue, Dec-16-03 09:38

recipe for can label

Dear Karen,

I am developing a label for coconut milk from the Philippines. Could i print your recipe on the label? Could I use your name too?
Thanks.
Daisy

Karen Tue, Dec-16-03 10:45

I'll email you and we can discuss it.

Karen

foodagenda Tue, Dec-23-03 00:11

Thanks Karen,
Will wait for your email... you can email me also at *****

bugsey Wed, Oct-05-05 17:53

That is a great RECIPE! In fact, i live im Metro Manila and that's a "usual" meal. You can also try squash with the chicken :) Some atually even use fish inated of the chiken, while some, do not use ANYTHING but squash and coconut milk and other veggies like eggplants. If you're "into" something HOT, you can also add these green long HOT peppers with the dish!

LadyBelle Wed, Oct-05-05 19:09

I have made chicken/coconut curries and have added in grated cauliflower. It takes the place of rice. It was so good my non-LC at the time Mother ate almost the entire thing. And here I thought I would have left overs for at least one night if not two.

dasanipure Thu, Oct-06-05 11:32

Yep - this recipie is a keeper: and oh so flexible! Sometimes, I add a spoon or two of peanut butter and change the spices to a Thai Curry paste ("Thai Kitchen" has a green curry paste and a "Red Curry Paste" that are quite good)...making thai peanut chicken. The sauce is just divine over a plain batch of Karen's cauliflied rice with onions and peppers. Karen, what would we do without your inspiration?

bugsey Fri, Oct-07-05 16:51

Hey Ladybelle... I'm a RICE addict, how do you do the cauliflower thingy? Do you simply "make" it like grain? I am TRULY.... missing RICE ((desperate!!!!) Is tofu or Soy a good substitute? Any ideas anyone!!! I MISSSSSSSS RICE.... it's like the staple here and it's like going without bread ... I feel deprived to the point of dreaming about it!

jeanyyy Sat, Oct-08-05 14:25

bugsey,

Try this method:

Faux Rice

1 head cauliflower
butter (to taste)
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)

Wash, clean, and trim the cauliflower, discarding any green leaves.
Shred the cauliflower by hand using the largest holes of your grater to produce rice-like little grains, or process it on "pulse" in your food
processor. If using the food processor, be careful not to over process it.

Place the cauliflower grains in a microwave-safe container with a lid or a bowl tightly covered with microwave-safe plastic wrap and steam in the microwave until just tender. No additional water is needed, (The amount of time will depend upon your microwave's power, so you will need to experiment. 6-7 minutes does it in a 650-watt microwave.)

Add butter, salt, and pepper to taste and serve hot.

Another method you might want to try is Karen's Cauli-Flied Rice here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe052.html

Good luck!

LadyBelle Sat, Oct-08-05 15:19

When using it in recipies like this where there is alot of liquid to soak up, I'll often just use the cheese grater plate on my food processor and grate the cauliflower, then put it directly in the recipie and let it cook in the sauce. I find that helps it to take on the taste of the dish I'm using it in, while having the texture and feel of rice.

Not a firm rice mind you, but I never liked my pasta and rice too firm

Karen Sun, Oct-09-05 14:21

You can also serve it over shirataki noodles, like a Singaporean Laksa.

Karen

bugsey Sun, Oct-09-05 16:48

Karen!!! yep yep yep that would b REALY good topped in Shiratake noodles!!!!!!!! dreamin... of it with the fish toppings.. soy sauce,peppers ...... and even chicken toppings! How do I use peanut sauce or is that too much to ask?

Karen Sat, Oct-15-05 17:32

Quote:
How do I use peanut sauce or is that too much to ask?
I'm not to sure what you mean bugsey. Do you mean what do you eat it with?

Karen