Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   KetoMojo 1.3mmol/L (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480527)

ayeh Thu, Jun-14-18 17:43

KetoMojo 1.3mmol/L

Hi All,

I just did my first ketone blood strip test with my new KetoMojo and got a reading of 1.3mmol/L.

I'm a little confused by the result though:

1) Instructions say to seek medical assistance
2) Thomas DeLauer on Youtube says I'm in "light nutritional Ketosis"

So... Which is it?

GRB5111 Tue, Jun-19-18 20:59

According to the guidelines provided by Phinney and Volek, you are safely in the ketosis zone when the blood test measures from 0.5mm/L to 5.0mm/L. You are in ketosis. You don't need medical assistance, and I'm not a doctor.

Note that you can still be in ketosis when slightly below, and when slightly higher than the range, it is still in the safe range.

teaser Wed, Jun-20-18 09:17

If you were eating a high carb diet, and weren't fasting, that would be a diabetic insulin-failure level of ketosis. For somebody on a ketogenic diet--it's high enough to supply maybe 10-15 percent of your brain's energy requirements, I'd have to look it up to have higher certainty. So lightish ketosis is a good description.

Ms Arielle Wed, Jun-20-18 13:07

SOunds like these meters are designed for the diabetics, noteably the TYpe 1. If you were a type one and eating on plan, then a
high ketone reading would be a red flag indicating insulin is insufficient.

To drop excess adipose, ketosis is necessary to drop the pounds, but this is not a disease state.

GRB5111 Wed, Jun-20-18 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
SOunds like these meters are designed for the diabetics, noteably the TYpe 1. If you were a type one and eating on plan, then a
high ketone reading would be a red flag indicating insulin is insufficient.

To drop excess adipose, ketosis is necessary to drop the pounds, but this is not a disease state.

Ms Arielle - the KetoMojo meter was developed for LCers and diabetics (I & II) who want to track ketone levels when following a LC approach. The meter ketone strips are much less expensive than all others for this reason. Before the fascination with LC and ketogenic WOE, these meters were used, in fact, for Type I testing of ketones to detect levels indicating ketoacidosis. Since they were used much less often, the ketone strips were prohibitively expensive with those for a good quality meter like the Precision Xtra over $4.00 per strip. Note that you must use the strips that are made for the specific meter. A KetoMojo meter kit purchase comes with lifetime $.99 ketone strips, which enables people, diabetic or not, to test ketones more frequently. The glucose strips are even less pricey and are competitive with other inexpensive, high quality strips on the market. I have the KetoMojo kit, and it's an excellent meter with a good deal on strips for those wanting to test BG and BHB.